Why become a member? ×

Bass demo, what would you play

lojo

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1427030318' post='2724826']
A problem I've noticed with a lot of 'demos' is that they're demonstrating a bass using high end amplifiers and generally seem to use the video as a method to show off their chops.

The Bass Whisperer is the only one who I find does demo's where you actually get an idea of what the bass sounds like.
[/quote]
I agree that Ed Friedland does some of the better demos but he also makes everything sound good and makes everything sound like him.

I've never taken anything meaningful from an audioclip / vid of a bass. It's hard enough just demoing in a shop, given all the variables like amp / strings etc. Once you're then layering on recording and playback, impossible to get a helpful comparison.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1427031073' post='2724837']
I've never taken anything meaningful from an audioclip / vid of a bass. It's hard enough just demoing in a shop, given all the variables like amp / strings etc. Once you're then layering on recording and playback, impossible to get a helpful comparison.
[/quote]Would the speakers on your choice of listening to the audio demo make a difference as well?

It's particularly tricky when it's online. You can do your best to record the bass accurately and transparently (impossible, but worth trying) but you don't know what kind of speakers people will be hearing it on. I can only differentiate a few basic tones through online demos; a gnarly aggressive one like a Warwick or Musicman, a warm mellow one like a P bass and.... maybe the sound of a short scale. Slapping sounds identical on all basses to me (and I kinda like slapping, god knows what it's like for people who don't).

Ed Friedland has been mentioned but, a bit like BC'er Scott Whitley, you get the impression he could make a bass out of cardboard and twine and make it sound good.
I'd say a decent demo would be scales that use most of the neck. A major scale that goes from root to 12 starting from the 1st fret on the E, then 5th, 9th, 12th and 15th would do it for me.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427031618' post='2724848']
Would the speakers on your choice of listening to the audio demo make a difference as well?
[/quote]

Absolutely. Different headphones, speakers, etc, so many variables seems worthless having a clip of an individual bass.

If you broadly want to hear what a typical J / P / Stingray sounds like it's fine, but comparing two basses of the same model is tough.

I bought a cracking J bass last year from Andy Baxter - thankfully it sounded nothing like the audioclips! This is no criticism of Andy, just a comment that even with the same person recording, someone who does this for a living, there are so many factors at play it makes the task redundant.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1427031001' post='2724835']

I agree that Ed Friedland does some of the better demos but he also makes everything sound good
[/quote]

I wouldn't say he makes them all sound good. Whenever he's demoed a P bass I've still hated the sound (like I do with all pbasses) but can definititely admire the playing no matter what he's playing.

This is a very interesting thread and as a video reviewer myself, I am open to suggestions as to how to make reviews more interesting (though I am bound by certain limitations which stops us from maybe doing the kind of reviews I would like.)

I have two rules I keep in mind when I review. I do not "shred" nor do I show off to the viewer. Most of the time, the bass lines or even sometimes 'noodles' are simple but I try to cover the tonal range of the instrument. Ok, I'm not perfect but a viewer is there to hear the instrument not me. I'll often demonstrate different settings with different playing techniques and if a particular tone lends itself to a style then I will show that too.

As for the equipment we use in the studio, it is often a nice accessible rig. For example, recently I've been monitoring using an Aguilar TH500 and SL112.

When watching the review videos, you'll often hear me tell you to use decent headphones or big speakers. Most 'buds' and laptop speakers are pretty rubbish at real bass.

With regard to the actual process of recording the reviews then uploading to the magazine, well there are limitations there. The videos and sound are all recorded in full HD, studio quality etc - but by the nature of the medium, everything is compressed in order to fit 30 or however many videos in to every magazine, every month. This has caused problems when reviewing certain items and I have flagged that as well as pointing it out in the review.

My closing lines usually remind you that the best way to hear and decide if the instrument is for you is to get it on your own lap for a try out. The videos can help you make a decision, but your hands will tell you if a bass is right for you or not.

And here's just a few of the reviews I have done : http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248043-doods-100-online-video-reviews/

Edited by dood

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427053373' post='2725185']
the sad thing is, I'd prefer the birdy song and I wouldn't get to hear it 'cause I would've closed the video before Teentown even got going.
[/quote]

ha.. can anyone actually play TT apart that is from Will Lee...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427016248' post='2724615']
Mustang Sally would do a great job of showing off nothing but half a dozen notes on the E A and D string. Come on..... That's not a demo...it's showing you can play the most kicked to death, sing a long song of all time. You need to go past the 5th fret to show a bass off. I think we both have a completely different concept of what demonstrating the potential, and capabilities of a bass guitar are...
[/quote]

The way I play Mustang Sally is at the 8th fret on a 5-string and uses all 5 strings.

Dance the Night Away has potential, whenever I play that I get so bored that I progress up and down from playing the B as the open B on the bottom string to playing it on the 21st fret of the D string. Plenty of movement up and down the fretboard, although anyone listening to it will probably fall asleep.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1427044755' post='2725017']
This is a very interesting thread and as a video reviewer myself, I am open to suggestions as to how to make reviews more interesting (though I am bound by certain limitations which stops us from maybe doing the kind of reviews I would like.)

My closing lines usually remind you that the best way to hear and decide if the instrument is for you is to get it on your own lap for a try out. The videos can help you make a decision, but your hands will tell you if a bass is right for you or not.

And here's just a few of the reviews I have done : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248043-doods-100-online-video-reviews/"]http://basschat.co.u...-video-reviews/[/url]
[/quote]

Basses aside, I've bought 2 other bits of kit (FX) on the strength of Dan's reviews - as have many others I'm sure.

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1427105080' post='2725697']
ha.. can anyone actually play TT apart that is from Will Lee...
[/quote]

Richard Bona. Actually, the trouble with Teen Town is that everybody learns it but never plays ot so, when, ten years later they try, their chops aren't up to it!

For me, it would be Charlie Parker heads. Something like 'Cheryl' or 'Dexterity' (at the Paul Chambers tempo, not the Parker one) works nicely. Or sometimes I go for the head to Charles Mingus's 'Dry Cleaner From Des Moines' which works well down low (as Charlie Haden played it with Mingus Dynasty. That's three blokes called Charlie in one post. Marvellous.