Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

[quote name='rjb' post='267170' date='Aug 21 2008, 04:12 PM']I think there is alot of truth to the argument that age makes a difference, though. I'm not [b]that[/b] old (31! :huh: ) but I can see how they might assume I have more money to spend than your average 16 year old....[/quote]
It's true in most cases but in my local music shop, I still get the same cr*p service that I did when I went in there for my first bass at 15.

A year or two ago, they had a s/h Stingray hanging on the wall at a brand new price (it's probably still there) but it looked nice so I asked to have a go. "Oh, I'm not sure about that, I'll have to ask," said the young assistant. "It's quite expensive." :) I'm 36 with a full time job and a gigging band - not a tyrekicker!

Truth be told, I actually feel uneasy going in there. It's like being 15 again, they're that patronising. It's everything that's wrong with guitar shops - condescending staff, bad advice and sky high prices. They once charged me £45+vat to fix a jack socket on a PA cab that must have taken all of 10 minutes. To be fair, that's their basic bench fee but wouldn't you do it cheap in the hope of return business and build up a relationship? I did ask but apparently not...

Don't get me started! :huh:

Edited by stingrayfan

We would like to invite everyone who has posted a comment here to a real conversation regarding the issues they have raised. Our opening hours are 10am - 7pm monday to saturday and 11am - 5pm on sunday. We will be happy to dicuss these matters with you all and explain in detail the reasoning behind each of our policies. We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.

[quote name='bassman100' post='267223' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:33 PM']We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]

haha, what did i say :)

bass bash at the cellar anyone?

the sign saying don't waste our time would be humourous IF the staff actually gave a sh*t, problem is they seem to embody the attitude of the sign to the letter. even the simple thing of greating customers as they walk in take little to no effort and sets up a good feeling never happens, and i have walked around in there for about half an hour with no sign of interest from the staff, well apart from simone when she worked there, and its not exactly the biggest of places.
i got better service from sound control under virgin (when it was there) and from turnkey, approachable and willing to spend some time with you even if you are just 'looking' to weigh up exactly what you are after.

Edited by lowhand_mike

Hi Bassman 100 and welcome - thanks for taking the trouble to come on the site. If you've read through this thread then you'll know it was me who drew it to your attention.

Whilst it would be easy for me to take you up on your offer (I work 100 yards from The Bass Cellar) I won't be doing so.

The most constant aspect of the criticism of that shop is the unfriendly atmosphere and near-hostile reception that so many have experienced. I'm not scared of shop assistants, but I can think of no reason to subject myself to still more of their near-hostility by walking in and announcing that I'm one of their critics! :huh:

Others who might be prepared to do so won't live/work so close to the shop and anyway, that misses the point. Please take the "In My Opinion" bit as being ever-present in this post.

This is a virtual club for bass-owners. It's what is being posted here on the Forum that you need to address, not what individuals are prepared to come to Central London and tell you face to face.

Plenty of participants in this thread are hoping that you will turn The Bass Cellar into a nicer shop, somewhere we can actually go to buy things. We think that this is more likely to happen if you know what is being said about your shop. That is why we have taken the trouble to actively seek you out and ask you to join in the discussion.

That's this discussion, here.

You're a businessman and you're perfectly free to ignore what I've just written.

I'm a businessman (the Finance Director for a very large company) and I believe you will make more money and maybe some friends by getting involved and seeing the feedback from this site as an incredibly valuable business tool.

Your call.

:)

Agreed surely the onus is on you to address our concerns here as we don't want to go into your shop based on past experience.

Of course you don't owe anything to us but the people on this site spend thousands of pounds a year on basses (I myself love a bass you have in your shop but refuse to buy it on past experience) and by not addressing our concerns you are missing out on our business.

Every business that comes out and says "we have x... happy customers..." is always hiding from the real problem. That being there is a problem with their attitude/service. I too run my own business and there is always that little saying 'If you do something well a customer will tell two people about it. If you do something badly they will tell 12 people about it".

If you have 200,000 + satisfied customers just think how many you could have if the concerns of the posters on this thread are met.

As Happy Jack says "Your call".

[quote name='NJE' post='264456' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:01 PM']I used to live in Cardiff and as far as I am concerned it is rude guitar shop capital. Cranes Music is by far the worst, there used to be one really nice chap in there who was a bass player and he was cracking to chat to, but he left, I find the staff rude patronising and just plain ignorant to the stock they have. Gamlins is ok, again one nice chap in there who is great but the rest of the staff are clueless.

My friend and I went into gamlins and he had £700 cash for a new amp and we went to try a few. He wanted a Fender Hot Rod, and they had one on budget. We were playing and then the miserable old bat who owns the shop (i think) came over and told us to shut up because there ws a little boy with his dad trying out an encore strat. My mate went mental and basically waved the cash at her and said "im going to cranes to spend this then".....hilarious if not a bit rude.

I hate music shops, but I still want to go to the gallery...the holy grail!!![/quote]

Our keyboard player used to work in Gamlins and can vouch for the fact that the misrable old bat is indeed as you describe! Emile in there is great and I have bought some odds and sods in there over the years but not any more. Cardiff is a shocking place to buy music gear but GM Music is the King of Sh*te and that smarmy bloke with the cheap suit (can't remember his name) in there drives away more business than he brings in. If he only knew how repellant he was he'd have have his problems sorted!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='265879' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:46 PM']I also think places like Bass NW or Bass Central in the US are excellent examples of how every person who comes in contact with them is treated like a potential customer. I'd cite Bass Gallery and Bass Direct as worthy UK examples too.[/quote]

I've bought three basses from Bass Central in the US and found them to be absolutely fantastic to deal with; they keep you up to date, deal with "change of mind" decisions professionally and in a very chilled out way and seem genuinely interested in you as a bassist.

As far as Bass Direct goes I must say that after my experience there this week I doubt I will be spending my money anywhere else in the future. Mark has put together a superb little business which is built on supplying top quality gear and customer service and attention that in my experience is unrivaled even in the top end luxury car market. The atmosphere Mark creates is totally relaxed and very chatty, the guy knows his stuff and has the experience to back it up. He's totally passionate about bass and the gear and builds a relationship and rapport first and foremost. He's not at all pushy, just very knowledgeable and damn honest; you just know he's had all the same experiences in the past that we have described here and has differentiated his business from the crud that we have all experienced in the high street. If you think I'm exaggerating or doing a promo get in touch with him next time you get GAS - [url="http://www.bassdirect.co.uk"]www.bassdirect.co.uk[/url]

Or just go to his forum on this site.

[quote name='BassBus' post='267304' date='Aug 21 2008, 07:31 PM']Every business that comes out and says "we have x... happy customers..." is always hiding from the real problem. That being there is a problem with their attitude/service. I too run my own business and there is always that little saying 'If you do something well a customer will tell two people about it. If you do something badly they will tell 12 people about it".

If you have 200,000 + satisfied customers just think how many you could have if the concerns of the posters on this thread are met.

As Happy Jack says "Your call".[/quote]

200,000 customers a year = 312 days of trading a year = 641 customers a day! how many staff? If they were open 12 hours a day that would be 53 customers an hour, almost one a minute IF they are open 12 hours a day! If I was that busy I wouldn't give a monkey's uncle about a few whingers on Basschat! :)

They'd be busier than McDonald's if they had decent service. I've heard some stories in my time but that one is the best...

Edited by Sean

[quote name='bassman100' post='267223' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:33 PM']We would like to invite everyone who has posted a comment here to a real conversation regarding the issues they have raised. Our opening hours are 10am - 7pm monday to saturday and 11am - 5pm on sunday. We will be happy to dicuss these matters with you all and explain in detail the reasoning behind each of our policies. We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]

Bloody Hell.....200,000 customers a year .....600+ customers a day , thats about 1.1 every minute they are open, :)
or am I missing something ?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='267330' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:07 PM']Bloody Hell.....200,000 customers a year .....600+ customers a day , thats about 1.1 every minute they are open, :)
or am I missing something ?[/quote]

Ah 200,000 since they opened ......!

What a disappointing input. I know from first hand experience how good these sorts of forums can be for a business to build up good PR and loyal customers, but apparently this isn't what the Harrisons want.

Oh well, that's my mind made up - no more money going into Music Ground's coffers. Shame as I bought my very first guitar from Music Ground in Leeds, my very first FX pedal not so long after that, but unless their prices drop through the floor I'd rather go somewhere I can get friendly service for less money.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='267332' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:09 PM']Ah 200,000 since they opened ......![/quote]

Nah, it definitely said per year.

Prose, you are obviously as geeky as me with the calcs, obviously as cynical too! :)

[quote name='noisedude' post='267334' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:09 PM']Oh well, that's my mind made up - no more money going into Music Ground's coffers. Shame as I bought my very first guitar from Music Ground in Leeds, my very first FX pedal not so long after that, but unless their prices drop through the floor I'd rather go somewhere I can get friendly service for less money.[/quote]

I'm very pleased that I've never given that miserable lot one penny and if this is the best they can do I never will. I'm going up to London to look for a Jazz at the weekend and I know where I won't be looking

Guys, guys, guys, can we take it down a notch!

1. He's posted once and then probably gone home to supper. He'll be back later - but only if we play nice.

2. I have no trouble believing that the seven shops (or is it eight?) that they own just in Denmark Street get 200,000 customers a year.

3 Trying to make a fool of the guy before he's had a chance to get his head around what we're saying isn't going to help.

If we're trying to give some genuine customer feedback, then let's do that. If the idea is to flame Music Ground, then I'll leave you to it. I've got no brief to defend any shop or chain, but life's too short to waste on unnecessary abuse.

NOT looking to start a row with any other Basschatter, NOT trying to point fingers or put anyone down, just want to see if we can achieve something positive.

I don't have any personal issue with any shop mentioned here, in fact I haven't been in a music shop anywhere for about 5 years, due to the steady decline in the quality of the experience. It just strikes me that any representative of a business wanting to open a constructive dialogue in a forum such as this would have to a) introduce himself personally b ) express some understanding of the issues raised c) express some concern and interest in addressing them. Doesn't look to me like you've had that, at least not yet.

Edited by spinynorman

Chester....Monday....Dawsons.
Wife gone to Dental appointment, husband goes into aformentioned shop.
Looks around at overpriced chinese instruments and in desperation asks if he can try an Electro Harmonix QTron.

Response from assistant number 1, "er, I don't think we sell them."

Number 2 chimes in, "We can order one in for you to try but it will take 2 weeks and you will have to leave a deposit".

Feeling in boyish mood I ask, "Can the USA Strat be reduced in price because it has got a dent and scratches?"
Number 2, "No, that's how it came in".

It is endemic of music shops in general and always has been, that the level of service is dependant on the management philosophy.
Good service = good business. Easy equation.

I wander into Red dog music- the new one on the grassmarket in the burgh
and the guy is super helpfull and friendly (this used to be soundcontrol so massive change)
if i had wanted i could have ended up just chatting to him.
He managed to get £30 off me.
I'm tight so this is an achievement.

Ill go back. If i want to buy summit new ild rather give him my money than thomann or someone.

EDIT:
[quote]Red Dog Music is Edinburgh's newest, biggest, friendliest independent music shop, stocking a wide range of guitars, basses, keyboards, PA, recording gear, accessories and colourful pets (though we haven't managed to source any of those yet).

Over the coming months, we will be introducing not only a whole load of new, exciting lines, but also a range of services to help you to get your sounds heard, including CD duplication, band merchandise, contact directories, album artwork services, and more. That's once we've worked out how to do all of these things...

Until then, please come along and have a chat, buy some stuff, or just sit moodily playing Stairway to Heaven for hours on end, while staring menacingly at other customers. It's up to you![/quote]

see it even sounds fun!

Edited by LukeFRC

To the gentleman who posted from Music Ground:

I think it's all very well to say the majority of your customers are happy - but we of the bass-playing community who have experienced The Bass Celler have put our thoughts across on the shop, and one can infer that the vast majority have had a negative experience. I don't know where these happy customers are. I don't think I have read a single good review of a purchase experience at the store.

Regards,

Mike