Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

[quote name='Mike' post='265204' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:37 AM']I've stuck my oar in a few times over the Bass Cellar, but for the record, here are my experiences.

First time I went in, I was about 18/19 and wanted to try a Warwick Buzzard. The old bald geezer (now dead) said "Okay - if you buy it". I was a little stunned, and he said someone might be coming to buy it later, so if I bought it now, I could try it. Obviously this was out of the question. However, that grumpy idiot was over-ruled by a nice eastern european guy who seemed a decent chap, who waved him away and said "of course, have a play", which I did.

The next time I was in Simone was very helpful, no problems.

The last time, I had about £850 or so to spend. I asked if I could try the Gary Willis Ibanez 5. She sort of looked at me sadly, shook her head, and said "That? Oh, that's £800." as if there wasn't a chance I could buy it. I advised her I'd just forked out over a grand for a new Thumb and left.

The Bass Cellar are, in my opinion, everything what's wrong, vile and odious about music shops. As someone said, if the place were on fire, I wouldn't drop my trousers! So to speak.

Incidentally, I know a lot of people here are aware of this, but new members may not be. On the counter, there is an A4 sign, stood up in portrait. On this sign, it says:
[b]
Want a bass?

Short on Cash?

[i]THEN DON'T WASTE OUR TIME.[/i][/b]

Those disgusting cretins![/quote]

i only went there once and picked up a p bass for a try and was told to pu it down! i walked out and never been back since, but the bass centre was the best, but now i belive the best people and deals to be had are private ones on here etc.

[quote name='Mike' post='265204' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:37 AM']The Bass Cellar are, in my opinion, everything what's wrong, vile and odious about music shops. As someone said, if the place were on fire, I wouldn't drop my trousers! So to speak.

Incidentally, I know a lot of people here are aware of this, but new members may not be. On the counter, there is an A4 sign, stood up in portrait. On this sign, it says:
[b]
Want a bass?

Short on Cash?

That sums it up perfectly!

The sad bit is that there are so many shops like the Bass Cellar out there that it makes the fun of trying & buying an instrument that much harder to experience. Fortunately there are some good places, The Gallery in Camden is an example of how well it can be done. Local to me, the bass department in GAK is pretty good too.

It's because of these awful shops that we should be grateful for the For Sale section here because it is a much, much nicer way to buy and sell basses!

[quote name='Mike' post='265204' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:37 AM']Incidentally, I know a lot of people here are aware of this, but new members may not be. On the counter, there is an A4 sign, stood up in portrait. On this sign, it says:
[b]
Want a bass?

Short on Cash?

:) That's awful!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='265221' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:56 AM']Local to me, the bass department in GAK is pretty good too.[/quote]

Yeah that's a nice place there! Went in it recently for the first time in years, lots of stock now! When I used to go in reguarly it was just the back of the shop reserved for bass.

Someone on the old Basschat had taken a photo of this sign.

Re. Bass Centre - I had mixed experiences, generally negative. I was made to feel that I was an annoyance, when I wanted to make a purchase of a Tony Levin OLP sig.

Saying that, they had some good guys there.

The Gallery has always been A1. Alex is very helpful and straight up, plus I've received good service by Martin Petersson too, even though I was just buying a pedal and strings. Ok, it may not be cheapest, but the service is 100% and you will want to go back.

Plus recently, Alex offered me a couple of basses at a very good price - he seems a great guy.

[i]The Bass Cellar is at the heart of London's busy West End on Denmark Street, Tin Pan Alley to those in the know. Any bassist who fancies a trip down the street will be greeted with a more eclectic mix of kit than even the most worldly player will be used to. [b]Any small amount of time spent mooching around The Bass Cellar will endear you to us straight away with well-humoured staff[/b] and pictures of all-time great players adorning the wall.

Whether you're just getting started with bass, or a seasoned veteran, [b]tell our expert staff what you're after, and they will find you what you want.[/b] We also carry a full range of pedals, amps, cases, bags and cables. Whatever your bass playing bag the Bass Cellar is worth a visit, especially as a part of the overall Denmark Street experience. A perfect way to while away a sunny afternoon.

[/i]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='265221' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:56 AM']Local to me, the bass department in GAK is pretty good too.[/quote]
+1 for GAK -- I've spent thousands of pounds in there. Somebody who has known the owner for years told me the store became successful because they always encouraged youngsters to try out their stock. Then when those people got older and started earning money they came back to buy. And in the process GAK forced a less customer-friendly rival out of business.

When will people like the Bass Cellar learn?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='geilerbass' post='264490' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:54 PM']In all fairness, she was very pleasant - friendly and knowledgeable. To the point where I actually reconsidered my stance on the place and almost considered buying a bass. Sad that she's gone and has been replaced by another bunch of ignorant muppets.[/quote]
+1,she flogged me my Sansamp.....the bloke beside her said f*** all...they are rude bastards now..

Wunjo on the other hand IS amazing,some Asian looking lad got me a 6 string to try out...really really nice guy!

[quote name='Mike' post='265247' date='Aug 19 2008, 09:35 AM'][i]The Bass Cellar is at the heart of London's busy West End on Denmark Street, Tin Pan Alley to those in the know. Any bassist who fancies a trip down the street will be greeted with a more eclectic mix of kit than even the most worldly player will be used to. [b]Any small amount of time spent mooching around The Bass Cellar will endear you to us straight away with well-humoured staff[/b] [/i][/quote]What a cracker. That's the best laugh I've had in days. :)

[quote name='misrule' post='265250' date='Aug 19 2008, 09:36 AM']Somebody who has known the owner for years told me the store became successful because they always encouraged youngsters to try out their stock. Then when those people got older and started earning money they came back to buy.[/quote]

Yeah there are always so many kids in there happily jamming away on instruments.

i remember reading that about the bass cellar, ant think of a time when all the staff has been like that, simone maybe but the rest forget about it.

need to pop down to demark street today at some point so i might just drop in there with this web address and post and tell them to have a good read.

might be enlightening for them.

most of the people who buy from there are either endorsed so dont really have to pay for it, or work in town with wads of cash that know no better, or young kids who have saved hard then get ripped off by them cos they have heard of the legend of denmark street, i know thats how i looked at it the first couple of times i went there.(thats a long time agao though when there were more shops.)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='265277' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:20 AM']i remember reading that about the bass cellar, ant think of a time when all the staff has been like that, simone maybe but the rest forget about it.

need to pop down to demark street today at some point so i might just drop in there with this web address and post and tell them to have a good read.

might be enlightening for them.

most of the people who buy from there are either endorsed so dont really have to pay for it, or work in town with wads of cash that know no better, or young kids who have saved hard then get ripped off by them cos they have heard of the legend of denmark street, i know thats how i looked at it the first couple of times i went there.(thats a long time agao though when there were more shops.)[/quote]

It would be interesting to see what they say, but I doubt they'd give a damn. I can only assume that in the Bass Cellar Sales Assistant/Manager job descriptions, one of the key requirements is: "Must exhibit great arrogance and surliness, be willing to forego any semblance of customer service and approachability and be condescending and patronising to customers at all opportunities." It takes a certain kind of individual to work there and sadly, there seems to be no shortage of such assholes.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='265275' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:15 AM']I must go there sometime. Just to experience it myself. :)[/quote]

Yeah I'm thinking the same, sure I've probably been in there when I did a tour of the shops in Denmark Street a few years ago though.

Would be fun to go in with a wad of cash!!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='265133' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:41 AM']Yeah after i'd been in the bass cellar i went into another shop accross the road, looked very retro, there was a p bass that had apparently been owned by sid vicious behind the counter along with a guy wearing a hawaiian shirt with greased back hair, can't remember what the shop was called though. That was a cool place, went in there, tried out a precision, had a short jam with a guy playing guitar, the guy working there asked what i thought and i told him i didn't like it much, wrong pickup placement and i couldn't get used to it and all that and he was very nice about it all and was like yeah come back in and try stuff out whenever you like mate, really nice bloke and a pretty cool shop. That's what they should ALL be like.[/quote]

Hey, when were you in there? I did a tour of Denmark St last week on Thursday and when I wandered down the back of that store there was a guy playing a P bass if I remember and another guy sat by him with a six string. It was just before the rain tipped down, sorta early afternoon? I was there with my daughter, dragging her into all the stores :) I had silly pointy boots on, black jeans and spiky black hair.

I looked at that bass that Sid supposedly owned. I'm no expert, but I really don't recognise it as one he obviously used. I like the unyellowed sellotape holding the jack in place. That's obviously from the 70's :huh:

M.

Oh and in Bass Cellar, there was a guy trying out Mark Bass gear and one of the assistants was sort of being helpful. I was pretty much ignored, even though I was making unsubtle cooing noises about a Ric hanging up!

[quote name='Mike' post='265247' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:35 AM'][i]The Bass Cellar is at the heart of London's busy West End on Denmark Street, Tin Pan Alley to those in the know. Any bassist who fancies a trip down the street will be greeted with a more eclectic mix of kit than even the most worldly player will be used to. [b]Any small amount of time spent mooching around The Bass Cellar will endear you to us straight away with well-humoured staff[/b] and pictures of all-time great players adorning the wall.

Whether you're just getting started with bass, or a seasoned veteran, [b]tell our expert staff what you're after, and they will find you what you want.[/b] We also carry a full range of pedals, amps, cases, bags and cables. Whatever your bass playing bag the Bass Cellar is worth a visit, especially as a part of the overall Denmark Street experience. A perfect way to while away a sunny afternoon.

[/i][/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdK_CXYyzAk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdK_CXYyzAk[/url]

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='264316' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:09 AM']i have had exactly the same problem at music ground in leeds!!

they were like "sorry if your not going to buy it then you cant try it out"

bunch of idiots missed out! i went and bought a bass from sound control instead!

there's just no excuse for poor service like this![/quote]

It won't be a huge surprise to you that The Bass Cellar is owned by Music Ground, as is half of Denmark Street.

The independents are Wunjo's, Chris Bryant, Rose Morris, and Vintage & Rare. Also, don't forget Macari's around the corner on Charing Cross Road.

V&R are just as capable of being surly and unhelpful (NOT always) but they're selling a very different product to a very different market. The other independents are very friendly, helpful places. IME, of course.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='265492' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:37 PM']The other independents are very friendly, helpful places. IME, of course.[/quote]

I was at Vintage and Rare a month ago and I asked them if I could try a fuzz pedal! Not only they let me to choose any bass that I wanted (a 1973 p bass was my choice) they also let me there at my own to play as much as I wanted! I end up almost buying the bass, which I would if it didn't have changed pickups! The guys there and the nice lady where more than helpful and friendly!

[quote name='fleamail' post='265501' date='Aug 19 2008, 01:47 PM']I was at Vintage and Rare ............ The guys there and the nice lady where more than helpful and friendly![/quote]
Mmm.. there was quite a cute girl working in there on Thursday, getting all excited about the colours of some pedals they'd just been shipped. :)

M.

This thread is interesting, but very one sided. I’d never be one to stick up for the Bass Cellar, but I’m agreeing with the “right of reply” that a few others have suggested. Has anyone dropped them an email and asked them to have a look at this thread?
Maybe they’ll change tact if they find out their name is being dragged through the dirt on the UK’s largest bass guitar forum? …doubtful, but it’s a possibility. After all, this forum is only ever expanding…

[quote name='Marky L' post='265448' date='Aug 19 2008, 01:11 PM']Hey, when were you in there? I did a tour of Denmark St last week on Thursday and when I wandered down the back of that store there was a guy playing a P bass if I remember and another guy sat by him with a six string. It was just before the rain tipped down, sorta early afternoon? I was there with my daughter, dragging her into all the stores :) I had silly pointy boots on, black jeans and spiky black hair.

I looked at that bass that Sid supposedly owned. I'm no expert, but I really don't recognise it as one he obviously used. I like the unyellowed sellotape holding the jack in place. That's obviously from the 70's :huh:

M.[/quote]
I was there on the friday, though that does sound like me! I can't remember seeing you though..

EDIT: i am actually sending them an email now.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='265516' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:07 PM']This thread is interesting, but very one sided. I’d never be one to stick up for the Bass Cellar, but I’m agreeing with the “right of reply” that a few others have suggested. Has anyone dropped them an email and asked them to have a look at this thread?
Maybe they’ll change tact if they find out their name is being dragged through the dirt on the UK’s largest bass guitar forum? …doubtful, but it’s a possibility. After all, this forum is only ever expanding…[/quote]

I completely agree. It would be great if there was a way of feeding back to management and letting them know that their lack of customer service has turned off a cross-section of their potential market in this country. But if their front of house staff are any indication of their company's general attitude towards the consumer, then it will be totally pointless.

Maybe if we were all more forward with our opinions when visiting there, they may start to get the message. But then again, they've already put me off that it would take a lot to get me to want to spend money there again.