Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

[quote name='odub' post='279640' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:49 PM']To be fair to the cellar though, 99.99% of the people in there have no intention of buying, just herds of scruffy kids with no money wanting to try out £1000 basses, I reckon after dunno 5 years of dealing with that day in day out I might put up a sign too.[/quote]

You're right, all shops should ban browsing FOREVER lmao. Maybe they should rename it "The Buy Something Or Get Out Cellar" :)

[quote name='Gamble' post='280576' date='Sep 9 2008, 05:51 PM']Well.....

I payed our chums in the Cellar a visit on Saturday with my good friend Peted and my sister. I was wearing either a hoody or a t-shirt and camo shorts, so I probably didn't look minted.
I don't believe we were greeted immediately apon entry (which I'm not really bothered about) as I think there was at least one other person at the counter already. We got to almost a whole lap of the shop before one of the guys in there asked if we wanted any help, we declined. After a little while I asked the same guy (quite tall, ear length curly hair) if I could try out the 2 p'up OLP Stingray they had in, probably one of the cheapest basses in the shop, but he obliged with a smile and as good a service as I expect from any shop. I played it for quite a while, Pete had a go, I got it back again, shop assistant asked if everything was OK. Yep thanks, kept playing.
Took it back to the front eventually, asked for the price and what the genuine MM version would set you back and had a quick chat about how good the OLP is for the money. Then I gave it the old "I'm goinna go have a think about it" which I'm sure they hate and would rather you were honest and left.

Got to admit, I was happy enough with the service. Sorry for not showing solidarity guys, but maybe they have started to take notice! I did hear that as most of Denmark St is owned by the same company the staff get moved around a bit, so perhaps they've moved the surly tossers out and split them up amonst the other shops. It was 2 chaps probably around their mid to late 20's working there this weekend, does that sound like new blood to anyone who's been visiting more recently?

Fingers crossed for a brighter future![/quote]

Fair play, maybe my cynicism is slightly out of place and things are looking up?

I might have just got lucky, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If I'm honest, I'm pretty unlikely to ever buy from anywhere in London unless it's something rare or a second hand bargain, as I've got a pretty good relationship with the music shops in Norwich and they'll more than likely pricematch and order things in for me if I ask nicely. It's just nice to be able to go to a shop that already have things in stock to try out, which is what pi$$es them off!

Hands up.
I'm guilty.
Sorry!

I was in there briefly today, largely as a result of some of the recent posts here.

Two guys there, one was one of the originals but the other was new to me. He seemed to be the one in charge and was certainly far friendlier & more helpful than used to be the case.

On the other hand, I was dressed for work and clearly capable of buying something if I fancied it.

Jury's still out for the moment.

The slightly-revised layout of the shop certainly helps. It's not nearly as claustrophobic as it was.

[quote name='Gamble' post='280690' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:09 PM']It's just nice to be able to go to a shop that already have things in stock to try out, which is what pi$$es them off![/quote]

Yes, but any decent shop owner should realise that customers that just try stuff out one day, if they're well treated, will come back when they want to buy something and will tell their mates to do the same. I hate to think how many basses I try before I buy one, but it must be in the region of 100 cases of 'just thinking about it' before the wallet comes out. I've been flirting with the idea of an acoustic bass guitar for about 3 years, have tried dozens, but am still no nearer being sure of whether I want one or not... Half the fun of buying a new bass or amp is the process....which is why GAS tends to return worryingly fast even after a purchase.

You've got every right to try stuff out, otherwise how would you know what you want to buy? - it's their job to convince you to buy it and buy it from them. Stick with it I say.

Personally I think all bass shops need to be like the old Wapping Bass Centre. I bought my first decent bass from them when I was 14 (a Bass Collection SB300...passive, now a fretless and still going strong...), and they lined up a dozen basses for me to try that were in my Dad's price range and I amused myself for an hour or so in front of a Trace stack that was considerably taller than me while my Dad drank the free coffee. Once I'd made my choice, they let me try a Thumb bass - my dream bass then, but about 10x the cash my Dad had - just for a treat which as I remember it was their suggestion not mine. A few years later we were back to buy a huge, heavy, quite horrid second hand Laney combo. Then a few years later I was back on my own to buy a bass with my own cash. My loyalty continued after they moved to Liverpool St, where I bought a MarkBass combo last year, some 18 years after my first Bass Centre purchase. I've tried masses of stuff in both the Wapping and LS shops but never been treated with anything other than respect, whether I was 14 with my Dad, 17 with no cash and up in London for the day with my mates, a 20 yr old student still with no cash or 30 yrs old and trying out a bass in between meetings in the City looking like the typical more-money-than-sense type. Pure class, and their reward is my loyal custom, cash and recommendation to anyone who's asked me where to go to buy bass stuff.

Still, let's hope for the best with our Cellar-dwelling chums...I'll swing by again in a few weeks on a dress down day and see if anything's different!

[quote name='Protium' post='280613' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:13 PM']You're right, all shops should ban browsing FOREVER lmao. Maybe they should rename it "The Buy Something Or Get Out Cellar" :)[/quote]

Now come on, thats not what I said is it, I just expressed empathy for their situation.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='280622' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:23 PM']Fair play, maybe my cynicism is slightly out of place and things are looking up?[/quote]

I'd like to think things are looking up... I think I might may them a visit soon myself if this is the case. I need a new softcase anyway.

[quote name='Gamble' post='280690' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:09 PM']I might have just got lucky, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If I'm honest, I'm pretty unlikely to ever buy from anywhere in London unless it's something rare or a second hand bargain, as I've got a pretty good relationship with the music shops in Norwich and they'll more than likely pricematch and order things in for me if I ask nicely. It's just nice to be able to go to a shop that already have things in stock to try out, which is what pi$$es them off!

Hands up.
I'm guilty.
Sorry![/quote]

Are there any music shops in Norwich that have anything worth trying in stock? Last time I was in Cooke's, it was pretty dire. Admittedly, it was a while ago - I didn't think there were any other music shops in Norwich, since Academy of Sound closed.

[quote name='Gamble' post='280576' date='Sep 9 2008, 05:51 PM']I payed our chums in the Cellar a visit on Saturday with my good friend Peted and my sister.[/quote]
That was a great day indeed! I still can't get that 2nd hand Sei Original black 4 string headless out of my mind. I was dreaming about it just last night and trying to figure out ways to get the money together to buy it :)

I always suffer from the worst GAS after our days out window shopping in London. I couldn't believe how much bigger the Bass Gallery is now!

I went into a few musical instrument shops here in Bangkok yesterday and the two that had anywhere decent instruments (a pair of Sadowsky basses in a locked cabinet for example) got VERY sniffy about me literally [i]touching[/i] even their most basic of instruments. I immediately lost interest and walked out. I mean, with an attitude like that what's the point of even having instruments on display? Why don't they just have posters of the instruments stuck on the wall and the real basses out the back of the shop?

(BTW, there's a [url="http://www.siambass.com/"]Thai bass forum[/url] as well! :) Awesome!)

[quote name='peted' post='280936' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:10 AM']That was a great day indeed! I still can't get that 2nd hand Sei Original black 4 string headless out of my mind. I was dreaming about it just last night and trying to figure out ways to get the money together to buy it :)

I always suffer from the worst GAS after our days out window shopping in London. I couldn't believe how much bigger the Bass Gallery is now![/quote]

I don't go to London much but I have to say that the allure of Denmark St has worn off. I far prefer the Gallery and Bernie's Basement in Brighton. I don't suffer much from GAS anymore, but those two places... well... every time I am afraid.

I think the key differences Martin, Bernie and Denmark St is that one set of shops are run by people who are truly passionate about the bass industry and other is run by people who are just looking to get the sale... customer satisfaction is an optional bonus.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='281001' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:43 AM']I think the key differences Martin, Bernie and Denmark St is that one set of shops are run by people who are truly passionate about the bass industry and other is run by people who are just looking to get the sale... customer satisfaction is an optional bonus.[/quote]Nail/head/hit, I think.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='281000' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:40 AM']I went into a few musical instrument shops here in Bangkok yesterday and the two that had anywhere decent instruments (a pair of Sadowsky basses in a locked cabinet for example) got VERY sniffy about me literally [i]touching[/i] even their most basic of instruments. I immediately lost interest and walked out. I mean, with an attitude like that what's the point of even having instruments on display? Why don't they just have posters of the instruments stuck on the wall and the real basses out the back of the shop?

(BTW, there's a [url="http://www.siambass.com/"]Thai bass forum[/url] as well! :) Awesome!)[/quote]

You didn't go into that one near Siam station, did you? I remember browsing a guitar shop near there and noticed a few decent instruments. Can't recall there being any basses that aroused my interest.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='280927' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:56 AM']Are there any music shops in Norwich that have anything worth trying in stock? Last time I was in Cooke's, it was pretty dire. Admittedly, it was a while ago - I didn't think there were any other music shops in Norwich, since Academy of Sound closed.[/quote]

Not in stock I'm afraid, I was going to start a ranting post about the lack of basses in Norwich a couple of weeks ago in fact!
Academy of Sound has re-opened as PMT, but it's still exactly the same in there - right down to the Lakland they've been trying to sell for ages! Thinking about it, I guess that's probably why they don't stock much in the way of basses. I think all the other music shops have closed, apart from Crack-Converters.

Somebody did mention a music shop in Watton that I was unaware of in another thread recently though, that might be worth a look.

Peted:

My GAS is usually much better after a days treking around music shops, I don't usually find anything that I can't live without and it leaves me feeling better about the situation!

• 10 months later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='542505' date='Jul 16 2009, 07:01 PM']is there a website for the Bass Cellar?

If you google them this thread is the first listing :)[/quote]
Doesn't appear to be one as such - all the listings that show a link show [url="http://www.world-of-music.co.uk/"]www.wom.co.uk[/url] - and they don't seem to have any basses on their links. Might explain some of the comments - maybe they want the space.

With all of you here. That one girl at the Bass Cellar was really lovely and helpful. Have been less impressed with other staff there.

They should do a field trip to Bass Gallery, who are everything that a music shop should be. My guitarist friend often remarks how he wishes there was an equivalent shop for guitarists out there. I remember a while back I went in there and was just browsing really. I was interested in trying out a compressor they had on display. The guys asked me what I normally played, I said a Jazz Bass, and expected to be handed the usual Squier starter bass to try it with, but was astonished when I was handed a beautiful Celinder instrument to play through a great EBS combo. Just to try out a compressor. Sounded absolutely amazing. That's the thing, if you want people to buy your amps/pedals etc, give them something that's going to make it sound great. Same goes for the instruments, if you want some someone to buy the nice £2k Stingray, stick it through the fat Ampeg and let them crank it a bit. Get people excited about spending their money!

I've subsequently been back there a number of times to get my bass set up and have purchased a bass and an expensive boutique pedal from them, purely because I was so impressed the first time I went there. That's how to run a shop.

Al.

[quote name='Mike' post='265204' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:37 AM']I've stuck my oar in a few times over the Bass Cellar, but for the record, here are my experiences.

First time I went in, I was about 18/19 and wanted to try a Warwick Buzzard. The old bald geezer (now dead) said "Okay - if you buy it". I was a little stunned, and he said someone might be coming to buy it later, so if I bought it now, I could try it. Obviously this was out of the question. However, that grumpy idiot was over-ruled by a nice eastern european guy who seemed a decent chap, who waved him away and said "of course, have a play", which I did.

The next time I was in Simone was very helpful, no problems.

The last time, I had about £850 or so to spend. I asked if I could try the Gary Willis Ibanez 5. She sort of looked at me sadly, shook her head, and said "That? Oh, that's £800." as if there wasn't a chance I could buy it. I advised her I'd just forked out over a grand for a new Thumb and left.

The Bass Cellar are, in my opinion, everything what's wrong, vile and odious about music shops. As someone said, if the place were on fire, I wouldn't drop my trousers! So to speak.

Incidentally, I know a lot of people here are aware of this, but new members may not be. On the counter, there is an A4 sign, stood up in portrait. On this sign, it says:
[b]
Want a bass?

Short on Cash?

[i]THEN DON'T WASTE OUR TIME.[/i][/b]

Those disgusting cretins![/quote]

Oh goodness! I've been going this whole thread reading and not having a clue where you guys were talking about. I had about 15mins in denmark street before I had to leave (never go to london with non-musicians if you live far away!) and I remember that place now. Kinda sucked! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JBassist' post='552831' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:31 PM']the owner james dunn is a nice bloke[/quote]

Owner? I thought the Bass Cellar is part of the Music Ground empire isn't it?

Edited by jonthebass