Why become a member? ×

I'm bored with all my gear!

kevvo66

Hiya people ,as the above suggests I'm bored of my basses all of them sorry no high end models here they are harley benton j bass vintage series , lindo bass, Columbus ,ephiphone eb3, only one I like is my squire p bass fitted with flats , eden combo 180,eden American made cab 300 watt ,tc electronics 250 tone print head ,mb blackline 250 head .is it time I flogged the lot just a thought?

I'm totally the other way at the moment... Walked around the London bass guitar show and despite loads of wonderful gear on show none of it interested me more than my current setup :blink:

What's wrong with me... GAS has temporarily forsaken me....

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426493206' post='2718374']
I'm totally the other way at the moment... Walked around the London bass guitar show and despite loads of wonderful gear on show none of it interested me more than my current setup :blink:

What's wrong with me... GAS has temporarily forsaken me....
[/quote]

People without GAS have no place on this forum, pull yourself together. :)

Edited by Marvin

Keep your favourite of the bunch
sell the rest, and start looking for the next one
There's bound to be something to tempt you
.... something better out there....

Go to guitar shops,and just try a few basses you hadn't considered before
Gotta get your GAS back
But most important of all - make sure you keep your MOJO

Good luck :)

EDIT: I'm now in a position where I love all my gear
.... I'd like a Limelight too - but must resist (for the moment), cos I have too much stuff already :o

Edited by Marc S

I reckon you might need to try something new; new material, or get a teacher (or a different one) to open up new avenues for your playing.
Often players (myself included) fall into the trap of thinking that our gear is responsible for the excitement that happens when we pick it up, when often it's that our playing has plateaued and doesn't excite us any more.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1426497887' post='2718428']
I really don't know number6 maybe 5 stringer and nice combo perhaps I don't enjoy it anymore
[/quote]

I like my shortscale basses both of which are only cheapies and i recently bought a Yam 5 string which certainly helps getting the dexterity and brain ticking over so that may be the way to go. I generally don't buy expensive gear as i think the quality of the low end instruments out there still out weigh my ability so that shouldn't be an issue. You clearly need a catalyst to reignite your enthusiasm.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1426464202' post='2718326']
is it time I flogged the lot just a thought?
[/quote]

I would say yes to that question. Keep your favorite and amplification and then start looking new that will inspire you. Maybe even another type of instrument or genre. There is nothing worse than sitting with a whole bunch of unused instruments-that is depressing. I got to that stage and traded them all in for a fretless bass I was lusting after.

At the end of the day you can only play one bass, and use one set of amplification at a time so you need a set of kit that inspires you to play. You can always start a fresh and get more gear if you want once you have had your clear out.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426494759' post='2718387']
Yep, if you feel like that, sell the lot and get something you'll cherish and want to play
[/quote]

Good advice on the face of it...BUT...I'm a bit wary of the OP's use of the word "bored". From this I assume that the gear is adequate for his/her needs and there is nothing amiss with it...i.e. there are no faults.

OP, how do you know that if you do get some high end gear, you wont get bored with that too ?

However, if you have the cash to buy new gear then by all means do as JTUK suggests, but the chances are that you will be in the same boat again before long. Try to concentrate on [u]playing music[/u] instead. :)

Maybe it's just me, but most basses I look at wouldn't inspire me to pick them up....
People bring a few basses around and I just think 'NO'..
That is all relative etc etc .... but I think you need to have empathy even with
the tools you use..??

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426493206' post='2718374']
....Walked around the London bass guitar show and despite loads of wonderful gear on show none of it interested me more than my current setup.... .
[/quote]

I'm so GAS free, I didn't even bother to go.

To the OP. Sell the lot. After 6 months, if you've missed any of it, get some more.

Otherwise.... what's you next most interesting hobby?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426502670' post='2718479']
When the gig is going well I really don't care that much about the tone, the nut width, the handles falling off, the music stand etc etc, I've had some of my most enjoyable musical experiences with my cheapest bass and using the house bass amp for example.

How about double bass for a new challenge?
[/quote]

I draw the line at handles..otherwise I'm cool with everything else.. :lol: :lol:

I think a lot of the music I'm playing with my current band is boring me,but I dont get much of a say really,perhaps I'll go off and do something by myself , my artistic creativity is being held back ,maybe a Fretless and eub, 5 string even 6 stringer,I'd love to read music too but I have concerntration of a gnat ,bass teacher none I know of around here plenty of guitar teachers !!!!

Edited by kevvo66

Maybe going for one really nice bass and a quality amplification setup will be more inspiring?

We often get visitors to our shop who have 4-5 basses that they've gradually acquired and then realised that no single one is particularly 'calling out' to them so they've got a bit disenchanted with playing.

New basses always feel unloved to me.
A bass thats been around the block a few times and picked up some "love marks" and I dont mean death by sander, a nice well played in bass just make no demands on you, its seen it before, its done it before and that played in wear reassures you it wont be leaving you for a better player... :unsure:

Edited by spacey