Why become a member? ×

Good Luthiers near Edinburgh

silky13

Hi guys, I'm looking to get the jazz style neck on my 40th anniversary precision swapped for a precision style neck of same finish (birdseye maple) anyone able to suggest some good luthiers within reach of Scotland? And any luthiers to desperately avoid? I don't mind travelling for the right guy for the job!

Cheers,
Tom

[quote name='silky13' timestamp='1425979267' post='2712877']
Hi guys, I'm looking to get the jazz style neck on my 40th anniversary precision swapped for a precision style neck of same finish (birdseye maple) anyone able to suggest some good luthiers within reach of Scotland? And any luthiers to desperately avoid? I don't mind travelling for the right guy for the job!

Cheers,
Tom
[/quote]
Jimmy Moon, based in Glasgow is a fantastic luthier. Highly recommended.

As others have said, Chris McIntyre or Jimmy Moon.

I've used both, and had excellent results every time. Chris for my own stuff, as I'm Edinburgh based, Jimmy for the band I guitar tech for, as they are Glasgow based. By the way, if you do go with Jimmy, try and find out when his band Rose Room are playing next and go see. Really, really good.

Edited by Simon.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1425979389' post='2712878']
Jimmy Moon, based in Glasgow is a fantastic luthier. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

I've heard a disturbing amount of horror stories about someone of a similar name.

Edited because I'm now uncertain about which Jimmy I heard the stories about.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1425986190' post='2713010']
I've heard a disturbing amount of horror stories about them.
[/quote]
Really? I have never heard anything other than glowing reports. I have personally used Jimmy for over 30 years and have found him to be exceptionally good.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1425986607' post='2713018']

Really? I have never heard anything other than glowing reports.
[/quote]

yup. heard a few people who went to get pickups changed and they've replaced the likes of £100 pickups with £40 ones etc.

I use this guy : https://m.facebook.com/wjsguitars

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1425986190' post='2713010']
I've heard a disturbing amount of horror stories about them.
[/quote]

Was that definitely Jimmy Moon? I've heard those stories about a different Glasgow luthier named Jimmy, probably best not to name him here but it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out!
Of course, I don't know how reliable those stories are, they're not my first-hand experiences.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1425992605' post='2713125']
yup. heard a few people who went to get pickups changed and they've replaced the likes of £100 pickups with £40 ones etc.
[/quote]

I have heard that story but not about Jimmy Moon (who has an oustanding reputation as far as I'm aware). There is another luthier/repairer in Glasgow whose first name is Jimmy and whose name I was given in relation to horror stories but I'm not going to risk getting BC into trouble by posting his full name.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1425982153' post='2712920']
There's only one guy to go to in Edinburgh, Chris McIntyre. He has his workshop right next to Hibs football ground off Albion Road.

[url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]

This. I used to use him all the time when he was in Peckham.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1425992605' post='2713125']

I use this guy : [url="https://m.facebook.com/wjsguitars"]https://m.facebook.com/wjsguitars[/url]
[/quote]

No experience with Jimmy Moon, but

Billy "Wunjo" did some pretty major (albeit nothing bass destroying, not quite!) emergency repair work on my 6 string ( body damage and splits all along the grain) and repaired it in 4 days and kept me in the loop the whole time. Also only charge me £50 when I was quoted £150 at two other places in Glasgow. Nice guy, and his work shop is 10-15 minutes of me so he's my go to.

Not seem much of his non acrylic luthier work though.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1425982153' post='2712920']
There's only one guy to go to in Edinburgh, Chris McIntyre. He has his workshop right next to Hibs football ground off Albion Road.

[url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425982354' post='2712923']
I'd second McIntyre. He has made basses for a LOT of people and used to work with Martin Peterson.
I have one and it's my go to bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1425984897' post='2712981']
As others have said, Chris McIntyre or Jimmy Moon.

I've used both, and had excellent results every time. Chris for my own stuff, as I'm Edinburgh based, Jimmy for the band I guitar tech for, as they are Glasgow based. By the way, if you do go with Jimmy, try and find out when his band Rose Room are playing next and go see. Really, really good.
[/quote]

Chris McIntyre +lots

He works on everything I own for the last 4-5 years. He's a good guy.

Pete

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1425993112' post='2713137']
I have heard that story but not about Jimmy Moon (who has an oustanding reputation as far as I'm aware). There is another luthier/repairer in Glasgow whose first name is Jimmy and whose name I was given in relation to horror stories but I'm not going to risk getting BC into trouble by posting his full name.
[/quote]

You've got me doubting myself now actually as I know it was definitely Jimmy something. I think I'll edit my comments actually. Wouldn't want to mistakenly slander a mans work.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1426027821' post='2713689']
Something something pyramids something something sphynx something something hieroglyphs?
[/quote]

I've used the guy you refer to a handful of times, many years ago. One was a refret. I was pretty happy with him... Then he started getting "helpers", and I stopped being happy, so I never went back. But when it was just himself it was good, I think.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1426028156' post='2713691']
You've got me doubting myself now actually as I know it was definitely Jimmy something. I think I'll edit my comments actually. Wouldn't want to mistakenly slander a mans work.
[/quote]

I've never heard anything other than the highest praise for Jimmy Moon.
His acoustic guitars are as good as anything available.
I'm pretty certain you must be thinking of somebody else.

Well I dropped in the bass with Chris yesterday and took my other P-bass in for a setup too. The setup on the bass was perfect! :-)

Anyway he is now building me a birdseye maple neck with maple finger board and ebony binding! Cannot wait to see what this looks like and plays like when I get it back!