Why become a member? ×

Accuracy vs showmanship

Sarah5string

Based on my own experience, if I really go for it live and engage the audience as much as possible, even at the expense of accuracy, I generally hear more compliments about the gig. I think that the reality is that people rarely notice mistakes unless they are very exposed - and most basslines are seldom exposed. People want to be entertained and that's done by [i]performing [/i]the music, not just playing it. That's not to say all music requires you leaping about like a maniac, but engaging the audience in a way that's appropriate is all part of expressing the essence of the music, which, in my view, is the whole point of playing live.

Great thread!

Edited by geilerbass

I take more care with my playing now than I ever used to, but you've still got to give it the big'un!! Just pick your moments for the jumping around and gurn for the rest of the time so people think what you're doing is really hard! It's far more forgivable to make mistakes when you're thrashing around like there's a ferret in your kecks than if you're staring holes through your fretboard anyway.
+1 for the eye contact too, do you remember that gig you went to when you were younger and your idol looked you right in the eye in your favorite song? Someone doesn't have to be your hero to give you that buzz either, it's a minor thing but it could help make someone in the crowds night!

i don't 'try' to be a showman on stage, but when were on a big stage with a crowd thats diggin it i go pretty loopy, often sacrificing accuracy. but i don't care and no-one notices.

as far as energetic music goes, i doubt there will be many people in the audience who'll notice mistakes, let alone mistakes by the bassist (i mean, who pays attention to them?), and if they do the chances of them caring or remembering are slim. whereas a player whose clearly getting into the music and having a good time* will get that message across to the audience who, in turn, loosen up and have a bit more fun.

and finally, the reason i play music is to have fun. and i have more fun when i let go, and less fun when i stand still. so i very rarely do it.

*i know you don't have to lark around for this message to get across, but it helps :)

Edited by wotnwhy

No one will notice if the bassist makes a duff note or two. Sad, but true. Everyone will notice if you shoegaze or stand still. I was never very good at moving around much, too self concious, but I had far more comments about that than compliments on my accurate playing!

I saw a band at The Swan in Stockwell the other week...

They played Dani California. The band played it fine, butthe singer knew not one word of the lyrics and sang it, confidently, in the style of Vic Reeves. Not one person seemed to notice except me, and the crowd went nuts.

Goes to show that a confident delivery can cover ANYTHING

From playing originals in a plethora of noisy toilet circuit rock bands, I'd say that the performance is as much about the energy you create on stage as anything else. They may be tired old rock poses, but in the context of a balls-out rock band, it's much more appropriate than standing still.

Most people who go to gigs aren't musicians, and they won't define their memory of it on you missing a few bass notes, or leaving the hard bit out and playing root notes so you can machine gun the audience with your headstock. They'll remember a band that not only play great songs, but perform with energy and engage the audience.

What this means for you depends on the band you're in, I guess. You'd be a bit out of place playing behind your head whilst doing the splits in a trad jazz band, but sitting on a stool looking at the fretboard won't do much for a room full of rock fans. So long as you enjoy it, that's the important bit!!

EDIT: Wotnwhy just said the same thing as me, but far more coherently, whilst I was typing this nonsense. Well played sir!

Edited by mike257

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='263089' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:17 PM']Accuracy every tmie![/quote]

Roughly translated im an athritic old whingebag ^_^ (Much love bilbo!)

Im all for bouncing round like nobodies business meself. Makes it more interesting. But i suppose i do play with lots of synths, no one would notice either way!

[quote name='lowdown' post='263122' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:45 PM']Where does that leave Stevie Wonder..? :)[/quote]

ZING! :huh:

[quote name='coasterbass' post='263124' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:46 PM']Does anyone else actually have room to move about on stage?[/quote]

Definitely a fair point, I'm always bumping into fellow bandmates

Also, something I've found that if you push the showmanship too much and force things you get sloppy and just come across...wrong...I can't place it, but if you just get into it and let loose...i dunno, just don't force the showmanship, it can look insincere...

IMO of course :huh:

One thing I noticed from watching back video footage was that if you're going to do any really obvious MOVES then you have to commit 100% to them and even exaggerate them. A case in point is the Townshend style windmill, anything less than reaching for the sky and then flailing an outstretched arm like you're going to rip your strings off looks rather limp.

But as said above, you have to make it look natural and it has to look right in context - i.e. do not mosh in a disco band.

Alex

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='263083' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:13 PM']When playing live... would you rather stand still and be more accurate (but less interesting to look at from the crowd) or be lively and energetic and a crowdpleaser but in turn sacrifice your accuracy?[/quote]

I try to be accurate but come the show I'm jumping all over the place and if I'm having a bad night I turn the amp down.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Space can dictate how much I move. At one gig I did with a band last year the space was so tight the only moving I was doing was to stop the guitarist stcking his guitar up my arse whilst trying not to KO the drummer. We must have looked like the red devil display team without the motorbikes.

I really go for it on stage, I dont move alot but i do make sure i look like i am having a good time with hair flailing around everywhere. Temporary blindness from the hair doesant really effect me unless i switching from Fingerstyle to tapping. In which case i need help!

Generally the audience does not notice the bass even if accuracy is off.

For example.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3yc9kgVeE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3yc9kgVeE...feature=related[/url]

Due to contraints on the stage i cant move around a huge amount, in this song i tend to look at the neck, But i do sing on the chorus's and look like i am having fun.

And in this video.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhME5uazSOs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhME5uazSOs[/url]

We do a sort of Rock/Goth Tango. Where i toss the hair around alot, Dont look at the fingerboard, Sort of Dance/groove to the music. Very hard to do the tango. Either way, Even if you stand on the spot you can allways try and look interesting.

Edited by Shockwave

iM a tART!!!!
LIKING YOURE PROFILE PICY!!!
ANYWAY IM INTO BOTH
PLAYED WITH A DRUMMER THAT TAKES UP ALL THE SPACE,
NOW PLAYIMNG WITH A GIUTARIST THAT WANTS ALL THe SPACE!!!!

then played with a ten peice funk band and had loadsa room was mad and a shamew ause i was concentrating soo hard but the drummer was awesome and=
As soon as im locked in with the drumer i cant stop moving ,
but if you play well some people notice!!!
then the other night i had dental teatment then went to gig had alcahol and i was a nutter on stage!!!!
all good fun and the best bit was that i got a compliment off about 5 people!
Got tobe honest if i see a band theres nothing boring than the bass and drumer having no rapore!!
ziggybass.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='263148' date='Aug 15 2008, 03:20 PM']Ah, I remember it now, don't know what they were fussing about:

(The following song is a new one - nice groove but rather messy at the moment..)

Alex[/quote]

That venue looks familiar - is it the Hare & Hounds in Brighton? I played there last weekend.