Why become a member? ×

Accuracy vs showmanship

Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='263083' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:13 PM']When playing live... would you rather stand still and be more accurate (but less interesting to look at from the crowd) or be lively and energetic and a crowdpleaser but in turn sacrifice your accuracy?[/quote]
Depends what I'm playing. I try to pull silly faces whatever I do tho :)

I think it depends on the band and what your trying to accomplish live.... In my originals act I try to be very precise but with a degree of movement on stage i.e. rockin out with the guys... but with the function band definitely total show boating and the like which does sometimes leave room for error..... but the punters love it!!!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='263089' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:17 PM']Accuracy every tmie![/quote]

Accuracy for me too. But I've recently discovered I can play most of the things I play with the bass behind my head or between my legs. I've been forbidden from ever doing that onstage by everyone who knows.

i tend to want to move as the music takes me. But if i cant play my actuall line its a bit daft, you know- just for the sake of trying to look a certain way. dont think about it, juat move with the drums. In my experience my timing doenst really get worse as you are normally moving in time with the music.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='263116' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:41 PM']whatever you do make sure you make eye contact with your audience sometimes! you are playing to paying folk not your shoes or your fretboard[/quote]

Where does that leave Stevie Wonder..? :)

Garry

Does anyone else actually have room to move about on stage?

I spend my life wedged with my headstock under a cymbal and my picking hand being pestered by a badly placed table decoration, whilst our halfcut frontman tries not to fall headfirst over the cables on top of everyone. Some gigs I wonder if I should trade in my wireless set for a 1 foot jack lead!?!

If there was room to 'look cool' other than the occasional gurn then I'd be all for it.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='263124' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:46 PM']Does anyone else actually have room to move about on stage?[/quote]

Now that I'm the singer as well the bassist I get to claim the whole centre of the stage from drum riser to monitors, which leads to numerous opportunities to get tangled in my own lead, fall off the riser, hit my guitarist with my headstock (ah, the joys of a 36" scale beast). Last gig I fell over the stairs leading up to the drums (bizarre pub) - am now trying to find it on the youtube video...

Alex

Err just do both...generally

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='263116' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:41 PM']whatever you do make sure you make eye contact with your audience sometimes! you are playing to paying folk not your shoes or your fretboard[/quote]

I am most definitely playing for my pedal board, but then again we are kinda shoe-gazey...

With one guitarist who generally plays facing the side wall and the singer wandering about down the front, lastgig I found myself pretty much alone in the middle of the stage. Self concious hit me a bit, fudged some easy parts. Turned into a total poser for the drone parts, holding my bass up so it feeds back though.