Why become a member? ×

Bassist Wanted Ad on JMB - shows the mentality of some people

Sean

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1424554850' post='2697742']

Well said.
When a novice asks on here about how to improve the usual answer is to join a band, and rightly so. Yet here's a band looking for that sort of person and most members are knocking them.
I learnt to play as part of a band with mates when I was young and we ended up gigging for ten years. Another fifteen years on and I now play doublebass in one band and electric bass in another, both bands gig regularly.
If it gets them into playing live music, whether that be gigging or just playing in their garage then all well and good, if it doesn't then no harm done.
As for the grammar, are we really that shallow as to say that someone shouldn't get a band together if their grammar isn't spot on? I'm sure we all understood the advert anyway.
I thought the Basschat community was better than this.
[/quote]
I agree and still read it as you not having to be a die hard bassist to join, a guitarist knocking out root notes could be just what is needed.

The fact remains that bass is probably the easiest instrument to get to gig level on imo.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1424552714' post='2697709']
We have been advertising for a vocalist for four months on the JMB website, I cannot believe the d*ckheads that have applied.

That particular site does seem to encourage a fair amount of "time wasters"
[/quote]

We've had the exact same experience and it was my mood about this that generated this thread. Can't believe the idiots out there.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1424561940' post='2697850']
My main bass and amp is a Variax and an Ashdown, not so sensible now eh? :D
[/quote]

This is all too radical and dangerous for me, I'm off to reset my diods or something

:)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424561744' post='2697843']
I agree and still read it as you not having to be a die hard bassist to join, a guitarist knocking out root notes could be just what is needed.

The fact remains that bass is probably the easiest instrument to get to gig level on imo.
[/quote]

I would say that was correct.

How many members on here actually know what they're playing ?

There was a guy on here posted a year or so ago, that when coming up with a part for a new song, he just plays all the notes over a chord, until he finds the one that fits. Then repeats the exercise for the next chord, and so on, and so on.

So bass doesn't necessarily require a great knowledge, if your guitarist tells you what note to play over a chord, and you stick to the root notes, then that's it, you've got the gig :)

[/quote]

It is.

Learning three chords on a guitar is pretty easy.

So is that simple break beat that every drummer/guitarist/bass player/singer can do when they have a go on the drums when everyone is trying to have a chat in the break.

This band is 'experienced at gigging'. Allegedly.

But it's a question of being at the same 'gig level' as your peers. So if you're a bass player reading that ad, how likely is it that you are going to apply?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1424562203' post='2697855']
How many members on here actually know what they're playing?
[/quote]

Errmm... quite a few, I'm guessing? Unless I've misunderstood the whole purpose of the forum and it's not really for bass players? Maybe it's actually for guitarists who just pick up the bass occasionally - for a laugh. :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424562532' post='2697860']
Errmm... quite a few, I'm guessing? Unless I've misunderstood the whole purpose of the forum and it's not really for bass players? Maybe it's actually for guitarists who just pick up the bass occasionally - for a laugh. :P
[/quote]

I mean note wise :)

What note on the bass, and how it works with and against the harmony of the song.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1424563250' post='2697871']
I mean note wise :) What note on the bass, and how it works with and against the harmony of the song.
[/quote]

Well again, I'd say quite a few? Isn't it reasonable to expect that the majority of bass players worthy of the name will have a fairly good grasp of note selection and at the very least a rudimentary idea of how harmony works? That's the big attraction of electric bass for me. Unless the entire membership is united only in its appreciation of [i]the genre[/i]. If that's true, then I've really missed something, big time! :)

Funnily enough I'm putting an alt-cowpunk-ameriskifflecana outfit together at the moment. Talking to one of the other guys tonight we discussed rhythm section options.

In the end we decided that we didn't want a 'proper' drummer and we didn't want a 'proper' bass-player. In fact, we've decided we didn't want 'proper' musicians at all, mainly because of all the baggage that comes with musos of either the semi-pro or hobby variety..

What we're after is people who [i]like[/i] this very simple musical sub-genre and who are happy to hit something in [i]approximate[/i] time without bimbling on about about their years of experience, asking how much they're going to get paid, spunking off about theory and demanding a solo every five minutes.

Any ad we place will stress 'musical inexperience [i]essential[/i]' but will probably be spelt correktlee.

Just saying.

Edited by skankdelvar

I think it's a fairly honest ad, if slightly clumsy.

Probably a lot depends on where you are in your bass playing journey as to how you see it. It wouldn't be of interest to me but there was a guy on here recently
asking how soon is too soon to join a band. This would probably be worth a go for him.

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1424564818' post='2697910']
It wouldn't be of interest to me but there was a guy on here recently asking how soon is too soon to join a band.
This would probably be worth a go for him.
[/quote]

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that guy is reasonably advanced in years and that the posters of the bass player ad are not. I could be wrong of course, as I simply can't be bothered to fact-check it at this time of night.

I've turned up to 'auditions' where owing to lack of communication on both sides, the 'band' were young enough to be my grandchildren (see how I turned that round, folks?) which can be good for a laugh, but is generally to be avoided. Not being ageist or anything you understand, it's just that I cannot tolerate the conversation of children for very long, as inevitably I either become catatonic or infuriated - with hilarious results.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424565570' post='2697917'] I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that guy is reasonably advanced in years and that the posters of the bass player ad are not.. [/quote]

I take your point. Age and location aside I can't see this band saying to him not to bother if contacted them.

If you know what I mean.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1424527652' post='2697338']
That's what being in a band meant to me when I wasn't quite as old as I am now, and I have to say there's still an element of it when we rehearse (no drugs I have to add, unless you include the rush of endorphins on the rare occasion that we all manage to nail the groove at the same time).
[/quote]

Well yeah, back when I was 16, 17 years old that was one element of being in a band, However even then we were focused on high school , church, YMCA and private parties to gig.

Thing is, we see these [i]"We want To Be Gigging By April"[/i] ads all the time. They are not all posted by 16 year olds . Some are posted by guys in their 30s and 40s. It's usually a genre that has no market at all in Milwaukee. I strongly feel this ignorance to the scene and market is why 99% of these bands fold before they see their first gig.

Blue

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1424554850' post='2697742']
As for the grammar, are we really that shallow as to say that someone shouldn't get a band together if their grammar isn't spot on? I'm sure we all understood the advert anyway.
I thought the Basschat community was better than this.
[/quote]

I think it's good that they're trying to get a band together. For a novice, the words "enthusiasm more important than ability"[1] are rather less off-putting that for someone with a few years experience. But what's wrong with taking enough care over an advert to get rid of grammar and spelling mistakes? While this is merely an advert to try to add the missing member of the band, at some point they'll want gigs or to increase their following, and social media are now very important. I don't think I'm alone in saying that carelessly written posts to Stalkbook and the like would irritate me rather than make me want to go and see them. A bit of extrapolation, perhaps, but where should one start taking care?

[1] No, they're not in this advert. But they are in a lot of similar ones.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1424561940' post='2697850']
My main bass and amp is a Variax and an Ashdown, not so sensible now eh? :D
[/quote]

My main guitar is a Variax, and I've owned and admired two Ashdown amps, so obviously you're very sensible.

I can see what they are getting at , and Andy Bell did ok when he coverted to bass for oasis.

That Doesn't mean id enjoy thier set or the bass player they'll eventually find, and I doubt they will get anyone who get get around the fretboard on bass easily, hope they find someone.

Edited by lojo

[/quote]

I agree with the sentiment but the thing about bass players is that they have to pretty much play all the song, and the
all the others as well, so there is no hiding place.
But sure, many bass players have the minimum competence in their band in quite a lot of bands that I see.
And they get away with it, because some people don't want /require them to have much more..??

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424600456' post='2698058']
The type of person they are looking for probably would not care about the grammar, those they want to scare off to save the embarresment of saying "no thanks grandpa" will not even reply, looking at this thread the plan is working just as planned ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha, I've been there, and the guy - 17 years old - was so polite in saying essentially "You gotta be f*****g joking mate, you're older than my dad".

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424604387' post='2698131']
I agree with the sentiment but the thing about bass players is that they have to pretty much play all the song, and the
all the others as well, so there is no hiding place.
But sure, many bass players have the minimum competence in their band in quite a lot of bands that I see.
And they get away with it, because some people don't want /require them to have much more..??
[/quote]

I agree, although I'll add that if you're an intuitive musician - that is you have a natural feel for timing, groove and other structural aspects of music generally - bass is probably one of the least technically demanding instruments at which you can be considered competent. It's also the instrument on which you are perhaps most likely to be found out if you're not an intuitive musician. Lead guitarists without a shred of musicality can achieve a lot through sheer hard work and technical ability, and lead guitarists without huge technical ability rarely get the gig. Plenty of the great bass lines however are played by players relatively low on technical skill but high on musicality. Perhaps the band in the opening thread want this type of player - a Simenon or a Wobble - with a feel for the music, as opposed to a technician. I don't get many consistent compliments for my playing, but the one I'm most happy to receive is that I rarely do more than the song needs, in fact a guitarist said last week "the great thing about your playing is that we don't notice when it's there, only when it's not there". I'm a pretty average and agricultural bass technician, but I believe a good musician, which is what matters. I doubt I'd ever get a gig on guitar despite being just as technically proficient on guitar as I am on bass. I also know quite a few very good musicians who can pick up a bass and humble me, they just choose to play other instruments in bands, which is lucky for me. In fact, to steal an idea from John Lennon, I'm in a four piece band, and three of the members are better bass players than me! You don't have to be good, you just have to be good enough for whatever the band needs.