Why become a member? ×

Jaco plays Jaydee

White Cloud

Can't recall seeing the interview portion of this before so thanks...

As for the JayDee I assume he's just borrowed on that gig. Here he is with Jeff Berlin, also at BIT I believe this time on someone's Fender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRFbfBGgpbw

His demeanour in the clinic is very much like on the DCI video which as others have said, is probably the more lucid side of a troubled individual.

Pity bi-polar was not as recognised, and as treatable then. Still we have his solo records, Weather Report and Joni...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1424603964' post='2698124']
Of course, the guitardist turns around and turns up the amp. Why would we expect any different?
[/quote]I think that would be a young Frank Gambale by the look of him.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1424621555' post='2698368']
Just out of interest, did Jaco class himself as a 'Fender' guy?
[/quote]
Jaco classified himself as unclassified.

Legend has it that he was noodling on his bass of doom at the university of Florida and a passing bassist commented [i]"Wow, that bass sounds amazing!"[/i]...to which Jaco placed it back in its stand and asked "[i]Yeah? Well, how does it sound now?"[/i]

For me, that gives perspective to the rampant GAS fascination so often seen around these parts...the name on the headstock is of no relevance, it's the name playing it that counts.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1424622811' post='2698385']
Jaco classified himself as unclassified.

Legend has it that he was noodling on his bass of doom at the university of Florida and a passing bassist commented [i]"Wow, that bass sounds amazing!"[/i]...to which Jaco placed it back in its stand and asked "[i]Yeah? Well, how does it sound now?"[/i]

For me, that gives perspective to the rampant GAS fascination so often seen around these parts...the name on the headstock is of no relevance, it's the name playing it that counts.
[/quote]

I'd agree, personally I dont think he was as attached to his bass as his fan club seem to be. It clearly didnt get much 'love' and was just a tool.

Edited by mentalextra

As I recall the story, Jaco did not have his bass with him, so someone in the audience offered to let him borrow his own fretless jazz bass. Jaco declined wanting something different and took the Jaydee off the wall. I think the US importer of Jaydee basses was a sponsor of the show (Aspen Pittman at Groove Tube) which is why the Jaydee bass was there. That particular bass is now owned by Mark Manley. I think this was also the show where Jaco and Aspen agreed on the idea of an open commission for Jaydee Guitars to build him a bass. This led to the Jaydee jazz basses mentioned earlier.

Edited by GeeCee

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1424622811' post='2698385']For me, that gives perspective to the rampant GAS fascination so often seen around these parts...the name on the headstock is of no relevance, it's the name playing it that counts.
[/quote]

Indeed. But who wants to hear that? <_< :D

An interview with
Milkowski

Sp you have checked out a number of instruments then, including headless ones such as the Steinberger?

Yeah [Police bassist] Sting turned me on to the Steinberger. The first time I ever saw one was when I went to see the Police. I tell you, Sting's a beautiful cat. We had heard about each other and talked on the phone, but we had never hooked up. So when I went to see him, the first thing he said to me was, 'Hey,Jaco, come on back and check out my bass.' I like them. They're real good basses. I have one now, but I just haven't had enough time to even explore it. You see, one of the main reasons I use these same old basses is because I've worked so hard and so long on the road- forever- that to get another new instrument at this point, I really feel like I would have to learn how to play it from scratch. I mean, I know everything about these basses of mine, every bit of chicken grease and every drop of sweat that's ever been on them. These things are beat-up alright, but I hardly put any scars on them at all; the only ones are thumb marks. Other than that, I have not made a mark on them. Man, I used to do one-and-a-half flips off my asmps and land on them- looke like I was killing them. But I really never touched them. It was just an illusion- all entertainment. That's what I am, an entertainer.

Also it turns out Jaco had the first Hartke aluminium speaker cabinet built!!!

LH: Jaco used the original prototype 810 cabinet until we made the first small run of 410’s. The 410’s were of course much easer for him to move around the New York club scene. Because we didn’t have many cabinets at that time we continued to use the 810 for our other artists. That first 810 cabinet built for Jaco has a lot of history. It went on several Miles Davis tours with Marcus Miller, several Miles Davis tours with Darryl Jones, and the Born in the USA Bruce Springsteen tour with Garry Tallent. It was taken off the road in the eighties, its the prized possession of Hartke Systems, and has not been played by anyone since Jaco passed away in 1987, and thus it shall remain.