Why become a member? ×

Bad band, great bass player

Nicko

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1424457851' post='2696609']
Back on topic. Why would anyone want to listen to music they don't like? Can't understand it. Even if you like what the bassist is doing, if the context is not enjoyable then what's the point?
[/quote]

Sometimes (not often) I'll listen to music I don't particularly enjoy if I feel I'd be able to learn something from it or just be able to hear something in it that could lead to me coming up with something that I enjoy.

Rush are a good example of this for me.

I can't say I've ever hated a band that much and loved the bass work. Usually the bass will make me like them. One band that sticks out for amazing bass and slightly , meh... Songs, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them, is Madness. Some of the bass in their early stuff , is immense.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424499870' post='2696930']
I can't say I've ever hated a band that much and loved the bass work. Usually the bass will make me like them. One band that sticks out for amazing bass and slightly , meh... Songs, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them, is Madness. Some of the bass in their early stuff , is immense.
[/quote]

Thats kind of my take on it. I might listn to some fairly lame music, just because of the bass. Was listening to Placebo the other day........

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1424436902' post='2696279']

He also plays the keyboards quite well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDzQid-FqM
[/quote]
Mills is an outstanding songwriter and all round musician, one of my all time favourites.

Weather Report. There, I've said it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jazz in all of its various forms and incarnations, but the keyboards just sound crap. Joe Zawinul's writing doesn't really scratch me where I itch either.

Jaco's solo stuff, on the other hand ..... WOW.

Jamiroquai sort of bypassed me first time around, then someone suggested I listened to their bassist. I love his stuff, and I'm growing into the whole band now. Not quite what the OP was about I guess, but yeah. :blush:

[quote name='jahfish' timestamp='1425418292' post='2707209']
this topic is a CAN OF WORMS!
It's a choice between good technical bass playing and disliking the style of music the band plays, two different things?
[/quote]

Not really what I meant - I was really talking about bass lines you really enjoy on tracks you don't so for me Rush doesnt count cos although Geddy is great technically I'm not into either the bass lines or the finished article.

.[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1425419611' post='2707246']
Jamiroquai sort of bypassed me first time around, then someone suggested I listened to their bassist. I love his stuff, and I'm growing into the whole band now. Not quite what the OP was about I guess, but yeah. :blush:
[/quote]

Yep, I guess thats the natural progression for some bands.