Why become a member? ×

I hate my Fender!

phaty

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1424292345' post='2694905']
I [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"][color="#225985"]:heart:[/color][/url] my Fender Precisions....
[/quote]

+2

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1424291194' post='2694888']

Totally agree about Ashdowns, they can be very muddy and indistinct, I drove miles to buy one and then drove miles back again without it. Poor miles :lol: :D
I now only use Orange & Trace Elliott. B)
[/quote]
I used Ashdown for several years and it was never muddy nor indistinct but always solid and clear.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424335061' post='2695153']

I used Ashdown for several years and it was never muddy nor indistinct but always solid and clear.
[/quote]

Me too, I can never understand the downer so many people have against them.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424335670' post='2695159']
Me too, I can never understand the downer so many people have against them.
[/quote]

Whenever Ashdown are mentioned I always makes comments about how they sound as if they have a blanket over them and you'd better have a fire extinguisher handy because they're always bursting into flames, but seriously there's nothing wrong with Ashdown gear.

If you're looking for a hi-fi sound they're probably not best at that, but if the sound they make is close you what's in your head then there's nothing better. Obviously you could say that about any manufacturer, but you know what I mean! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423957774' post='2691002']

A P bass needs to be played through an amp with a band. Air needs to be moved. Trousers need to be flapped. Wombs need to be vibrated. And quite possibly in that order. Playing solo bass through headphones is like having a hand shandy on a bus. No-one does it unless they [i]really [/i]have to.
[/quote]

+1
I haven't stopped laughing since reading this several minutes ago :)

Try your bass through some decent quality amps for a real sound test....

If you're still not happy after reading the replies to this thread
Try changing your headphones

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1424180215' post='2693506']
The PJB Bighead and headphones are superior at highlighting the inadequacies of the instrument and players capabilities, compared with an amp/speaker in a room at all variables associated with that. Therefore, perservering with the headphone amp will hone your playing to a level where you'll sound cleaner and produce a more even attack. Stick with it and you'll grow to like the tone :)
[/quote]
^^^This. Combos/rigs set at practice amp levels tend to flatter player and gear. I use a cafe walter headphone amp with some nice transparent headphones for practice, and I know that once I sound good/ok with this things, will sound great in a mix through a decent rig.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424335061' post='2695153']
[/quote]

I`ve never owned an Ashdown rig, but as JJ Burnell uses them, and a man not known for a muddy indistinct sound to say the least, I wonder why people always mention this. Having heard JJs rig, neither of thoe words are anywhere near accurate, whereas solid and clear are pretty much spot-on (with the gain probably coming from his playing style more than through amp settings).

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1424383735' post='2695865']

I`ve never owned an Ashdown rig, but as JJ Burnell uses them, and a man not known for a muddy indistinct sound to say the least, I wonder why people always mention this. Having heard JJs rig, neither of thoe words are anywhere near accurate, whereas solid and clear are pretty much spot-on (with the gain probably coming from his playing style more than through amp settings).
[/quote]

The nice, expensive custom shop stuff is going to sound good though!

IME, the AAA series are as previously described; Undefined, lack any real tone or character and often sound a bit average. I suppose its like any other brand that accommodates below a certain price/quality point. There are good and bad amps within the range, whereas companies who refuse to compromise on quality (such as Aguilar) may have a higher price point but less mixed opinions come forward from users.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1423957658' post='2691000']

Also:
Rickenbackers have no low end.
Ashdowns are ill-defined and muddy.
Gibson have never made a decent bass.
[/quote]

Before anything turns violent, I should like to point out that I made this previous comment in jest and that I happily played Precision basses through an Ashdown rig for nigh on a decade ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1424383735' post='2695865']

[/quote]
A further twist is that by 'solid and clear' I did not have in mind anything at all like JJB.

I can understand why some people think Ashdown make poor gear. It's all down to taste and personal experience. I, for instance, hate Hartke gear, purely because I owned a combo, which had a dreadful thin, tinny sound. I know lots of people like Hartke gear, in fact many professional players endorse Hartke systems, so clearly the top end stuff is better than the cheaper line, so maybe we should not be so quick to write off a manufacturer based on a single fleeting brush with their wares.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1424384700' post='2695887']

The nice, expensive custom shop stuff is going to sound good though!
[/quote]

I used them for years, both the ABM series and MAG series and found they sounded good (where I was standing) and even better out in the audience. For the price point the MAG series is great. The ABM could have a nice vintage feel to the sound. Mind you I was using a proper bass rather than a 60s mudbucket (but I know even these sound good through an Ashdown.

The only reason I rarely use my ABM now is I've gone to class D lightweight with neo speakers for weight and portability reasons.

The real problem is usually with player or instrument. If you can play cleanly through headphones and get a nice sound then that is generally how you'll sound recorded direct to a board.

There's no reason why your Precision won't sound ok - it's the Maris piper boiled potato of basses - some people prefer the dauphinoise or chipped variety offered by more up to date designs, though others think these simply add unwanted overtones - I'm afraid im in the Jaco, Stanley, Mark King, Bernard Edwards and Pino camp - the unwanted overtones sound great to me - talking of Pino, he has a Precision and uses Ashdown and sounds fine to me. I've never sought to emulate the bass sound of American MOTR music, indeed it doesn't appeal to me other than a passing interest - I never knew who Glaub, Osborne or Beck were until they had signature Lakland/Fenders!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424424269' post='2696095']

I used MAG and also ABM stuff straight from the local shop, It was all fine.
[/quote]

The MAG stuff is the (relatively, within the range) expensive stuff too! That's my point. They do some really cheap AAA and Tour Bus amps that sound really average and that's probably why reviews are so mixed about Ashdown. I really like the MAG, Little Bastard and ABM stuff, just think the cheaper stuff is poor, especially alongside Fender Rumble combos at a similar price.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1424423506' post='2696086']
The real problem is usually with player or instrument.
[/quote]

If Id only played one precision through one Ashdown AAA combo Id accept that but unfortunately I've tried about 30 basses through most of the AAA range (Overwater, most of the Fender range - Chinese, Mex and US/US Dlx, Gibson's, Ibanez etc) and based my opinion on that. I think a comprehensive range of basses played by two (myself and my old bass tutor) experienced players is enough experience to be allowed to form an opinion.

I never stated that I thought people were a problem who liked Ashdown. I just stated that my experience agreed with that of a previous poster who thought they were a bit average sounding (and even then I disagree with that outside of the AAA range. I think the MAG, ABM and custom shop stuff sounds good for certain types of playing!). If people want to listen to that or ignore that, I don't mind and I would never dream of belittling them as a player or their instrument choice if their experiences helped them to form an opinion that differed from my own. Horses for courses.

A fair comment - I haven't tried anything beyond the ABM, MAG and that 180 combo the name of which escapes me - they were all fine.

I've used mine for material ranging from fusion to Shadows tribute and it was very focussed and warm sounding - in fact I lent my ABM rig to my son who had a gig with a 70s/80s/90s soul/dance covers band. I went along to watch and the sound, with an EBMM Stingray was fabulous - all you could ask for. My MAG was used, miked up, for a series of recordings by different bass players by a studio and again, the sound was excellent (hence the studio wanting to use it after I took it along for my one track.

I too have used a Rumble combo - it was ok but not well defined especially at volume.

I have an old ABM 2x 10 and I love it. It's been relegated to being the electronic drum amp when we rehearse, but it was my main gigging amp for years. I remember playing a shared gig one time and the bass player from the other band complimented me on the bottom end I had.

At least I think he was talking about my sound!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering buying a new Fender but am undecided what to go for. I used to own a very early Squier Jazz which was very good but think maybe a Precision now.....however reading across all of BC the quality can be variable so don't want to waste my hard earned if i will have QC issues.

Sound clip of Fender Precision, recorded via two different amps.

[url="http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/soundfiles/ramble.mp3"]http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/soundfiles/ramble.mp3[/url]

I can't imagine better sound on the Earth...

Edited by bgmttt

Could it be the strings on the 3 bass is different i.e different age and the action on those 3 bass is different as well?

I know when I tried a stingray in the shop, it sounded absolute rubbish but when I bought the bass, the shop set it up for me to my spec and the choice of my strings, it sounded fantastic straight away.

Yes, shop setup, or lack of it, can affect the choosing process. Where I've bought in person, the feel of the neck is always the primary attribute. As almost no bass is supplied with flats, I'm never going to get a 100% bond with a bass in a shop.