Why become a member? ×

will there ever be another music sub-culture?

MacDaddy

There are lots of mini music trends happening all the time. I used to enjoy listening to Drum and Bass, House, Progressive House etc. on late night shows. The problem is great new music is quickly sampled, copied and then manufactured into popular music at such speed that it never really gets a chance to become a subculture.

I've often wondered this myself; I was pretty firmly embedded in the punk, new wave, then post punk world of Manchester in the late 70s, early 80s. Back then it seems that scenes almost had to be small and cohesive in order to develop at their own pace without too much outside intervention, free from overbearing commercial exploitation. It seems to me that in the current everything connected, rapidly evolving, diminishing lifetimes, everything monetised culture, what previously was a movement is now merely a trend.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1423866720' post='2690010']
There are lots of mini music trends happening all the time. I used to enjoy listening to Drum and Bass, House, Progressive House etc. on late night shows. The problem is great new music is quickly sampled, copied and then manufactured into popular music at such speed that it never really gets a chance to become a subculture.
[/quote]

To me that's all just 'dance' music - but I was never a fan.

Did fans of each genre have a style of dress that was different to the rest?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1423865892' post='2690005']
You know the thing, music with a fashion and a scene.

Can't think what the last one was, probably Gunge (Grunge) but that was 20 years ago.

The Chav thing didn't have an associated music, but it's more than 7 years ago since that started.

What's new?
[/quote]

Emo was a huge one about 5 years ago? Is that the kinda thing you're talking about?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1423867564' post='2690017']
To me that's all just 'dance' music - but I was never a fan.

Did fans of each genre have a style of dress that was different to the rest?
[/quote]

Well I could hear the difference, Drum and Bass was a breath of fresh air but it never got a chance to develop...that was the point I was trying to make.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1423867606' post='2690019']
What's Hipster music?
[/quote]
Good example, it seems everyone in Bristol has a beard at the moment and it seems to revolve around indie music with an acoustic, singer songwriter feel. I never thought I would see tweed and walking sticks in fashion but I've seen it here in Bristol.

It all changes really quickly. It's probably on the wane already

Edited by Pinball

Whatever music + fashion scene may be happening, I'm pretty sure by the time it made it onto my radar, the kids will be getting bored of the next thing.

There's a stack of underground music happening all the time, and fashion runs in parallell. It's just a long long way from discussions about music stands and Bill Bruford.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1423869982' post='2690048']
Whatever music + fashion scene may be happening, I'm pretty sure by the time it made it onto my radar, the kids will be getting bored of the next thing.

There's a stack of underground music happening all the time, and fashion runs in parallell. It's just a long long way from discussions about music stands and Bill Bruford.
[/quote]
+1 to that.

I don't think most members on here are best placed to recognise any new genres or sub-cultures that might be happening, but it might seem that the days of any big movements [insert your own joke] are gone for a variety of reasons that don't bear rehashing. I'd second emo as the last rock based genre that had an identifiable fashion and attitude to go with it, but I suspect there's far more going on in the dance scene than I'll ever know about.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1423867411' post='2690014']
No just in general.

Grime has been around for what, 10 years? But essentially it's just rap.
[/quote] in the same way the sex pistols and the floyd are essentially just rock...
Grime,
theres the whole alt-folk bluegrass thing that kinda is on the edge of and predates the hipster thing.

I don't think there will be because with the internet people can listen to whatever they want to as there is such a huge range of music genres now. I also think that the lack of any music venues promoting new original bands you will never get any local followings like you used to.

I constantly wish that I was born in the 60s, or 70s because the state of the music industry and the way its using sex to sell absolutely awful records nowadays is devaluing music. Some of you will probably argue thats always been the case but I don't think it is nowhere near as hilariously bad as it is now. Its seems now that the bigger 'booty' you have and the more you shake it on your music video, the more records you sell.

I'm bored of hearing songs about 'Da Club', 'Pimping', and 'Drinking from da bottle'. Music now has absolutely no message or substance behind it and because of that the only 'movement' you are going to get from me is turning the radio off and plugging my ipod in...

Take me back and send me to the 60s I say...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1423872244' post='2690066']
Them young 'uns and their sub cultures!! They don't even know they're born, half of 'em :D
[/quote]

That's right. Dad-Rock endures!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423876690' post='2690098']
It seems now that the bigger 'booty' you have and the more you shake it on your music video, the more records you sell.
[/quote]

What records?
Anyway my 'booty' is massive and I shake it all the time. Hasn't done me any favours. I've got giant bangers, too... still no good. :(

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423877802' post='2690103']...
Anyway my 'booty' is massive and I shake it all the time. Hasn't done me any favours. I've got giant bangers, too... still no good. :(
[/quote]

:useless:

(... although, on second thoughts, maybe not such a good idea... :blush: )