Why become a member? ×

Amsterdam - best place to get a bass out there

silky13

Not convinced there's a huge choice, and my experience of most stuff in Holland is more pricey than London. I dont mean to be flippant but your best bet might be Eurostar to St Pancras, then a short trip to the Bass Gallery or Wunjo.

An old drummer mate lives there. I'll ask if he knows of anywhere.

I also echo the envy. Back in my full-time touring days we used to start and end tours in Amsterdam because the drummer and FOH sound man lived there. It's a wonderful place and the Dutch are terrific people, you will enjoy your time there immensely. It's just a shame so many people can't think beyond the red lights and coffee houses.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1423832369' post='2689481']
Amsterdam is probably my favourite city in the world.
[/quote]

And mine.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1423835556' post='2689534']
It's just a shame so many people can't think beyond the red lights and coffee houses.
[/quote]

Quite. There are also some great museums and art galleries, apparently.

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1423841193' post='2689618']
There is a good shop in Hilversum, which is a one train (and a few stops) from Amsterdam.

http://www.connectionbult.com/wp/
[/quote]

A Sire Marcus Miller sig Bass.€429.00
http://www.connectionbult.com/wp/?page_id=548#!/Marcus-Miller-V7-Bass-by-Sire/p/47041076/category=3988188

Full spec here from the makers site, well worth checking out.
18 volt pre-amp Jazz style Bass.
http://www.sire-guitarsmall.com/index.php/bass-guitars/v7/sire-bass-guitar-v7.html

Edited by lowdown

Dijkman is another good store in Amsterdam. Haarlem is only 20 minutes away by train and near the station there are two stores: Alphenaar and Music Maniacs.Music Maniacs don't have many basses though.
What kind of bass do you need? I am close to Amsterdam and have a G&L Tribute L-2000 that I hardly use; you could borrow that one for a while.

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1423850986' post='2689769']
Dijkman is another good store in Amsterdam. Haarlem is only 20 minutes away by train and near the station there are two stores: Alphenaar and Music Maniacs.Music Maniacs don't have many basses though.
What kind of bass do you need? I am close to Amsterdam and have a G&L Tribute L-2000 that I hardly use; you could borrow that one for a while.
[/quote]
Deserves a wee round of applause.
Well played Sir!

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1423850986' post='2689769']
I am close to Amsterdam and have a G&L Tribute L-2000 that I hardly use; you could borrow that one for a while.
[/quote]
[quote name='merello' timestamp='1423944420' post='2690773']
Deserves a wee round of applause. Well played Sir!
[/quote]
[quote name='silky13' timestamp='1423946719' post='2690812']
An absolute gent! I've taken him up on the offer! Looking forward to going even more now! :-)
[/quote]

Mad props to Mr Schoen! Isn't BC a great place, really? My faith in human beans is restored!! :D

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1423951198' post='2690894'] Thank you, gentlemen. :hi: The G&L is not really my sound but I decided to keep it in case I could use a modern sounding bass. I just thought that it would be better that silky13 could have some fun with it than leave it to collect dust. Basses are meant to be played and I like to help people when I can. [/quote]

What a dude. Respect Sir.

What a generous offer. Totally what I would expect - great country, great people. I go every year - have done for the past few years - not so much the 'fleshpots' of Amsterdam but more the 'plant pots' of Amsterdam. :) I've found the Dutch to be the friendliest and nicest people.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1423995553' post='2691200']
[url="http://www.bassmatters.nl/en"]Bassmatters[/url] in Njimegen?

Dunno what the trip there from Amsterdam will be like - just hoying it in the mix.
[/quote]

I was just about to say the same thing. I used to get the train from Schiphol to Nijmegen with work - I think it's about an hour an a half, and Bassmatters is walking distance from the train station. Trust me. I've done it. Many times :D

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1423835556' post='2689534']
An old drummer mate lives there. I'll ask if he knows of anywhere.

I also echo the envy. Back in my full-time touring days we used to start and end tours in Amsterdam because the drummer and FOH sound man lived there. It's a wonderful place and the Dutch are terrific people, you will enjoy your time there immensely. It's just a shame so many people can't think beyond the red lights and coffee houses.
[/quote]

Not a chap called Deni was it?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1423995553' post='2691200']
[url="http://www.bassmatters.nl/en"]Bassmatters[/url] in Njimegen?

Dunno what the trip there from Amsterdam will be like - just hoying it in the mix.
[/quote]

THIS! +1000! Paul who runs Bassmatters is THE man for bass in the Netherlands. Nijmegen is about an hour's drive south from Amsterdam (or take the train, if you won't have a car there).

I spent 10 years living in Amsterdam and while Dijkmann and Dirk Witte are okay for odds and sods - cables and the like - if you really want to visit a shop purely dedicated to bass, it has to be Bassmatters.

However, if you want to buy second-hand, then I recommend www.marktplaats.nl - the Dutch equivalent of Gumtree/eBay/whatever. You can buy pretty much anything on Marktplaats.