Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

Its here, and it is excellent!

It is way more beautiful in the.. err.. wood. The texture is amazing and the extra I paid for the flamed maple neck is worth it. It weighs so little and the pickups sound great. I was worried about that as I didn't know what they were like.

So yes, it is not only the best bass i have had, it is the best bass i have played (and by that, I mean for me before anyone gets upset!). The neck is basically like an ibanez, its balanced (again, worth the extra for the ultralight tuners), the little dot markers glow in the dark, its all just great.

And tonight I have a band practice. I am going to enjoy this, regardless what they are playing!

Very happy, night of playing it has made me more so. The pickups have the sort of tones I am after, aggressive and full, with a good variation between the P and the bridge. The luminay dots work pretty well.

Not just happy with the bass, also pretty relieved, as it is a lot of money for me (the most I have paid for a fretted instrument), and also fairly risky as I couldn't try it first and I am really fussy on necks and was getting a bit worried, if I didn't like it, it was a lot to lose on a custom instrument.

Well, lets go and get back to playing it!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1478127927' post='3167067']
Very happy, night of playing it has made me more so. The pickups have the sort of tones I am after, aggressive and full, with a good variation between the P and the bridge. The luminay dots work pretty well.

Not just happy with the bass, also pretty relieved, as it is a lot of money for me (the most I have paid for a fretted instrument), and also fairly risky as I couldn't try it first and I am really fussy on necks and was getting a bit worried, if I didn't like it, it was a lot to lose on a custom instrument.

Well, lets go and get back to playing it!
[/quote]
You've just summed up my feelings exactly - best bass-related thing I've ever done. Btw, I wonder if between us we've made Somerset the county with the biggest M ownership in the UK? Wouldn't rule out getting another one myself (I'll be in for it if Mrs Scrumpy reads this).

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1478169764' post='3167211']
The prices Bass Direct are asking seem a bit over the top.
[/quote]

The difficulty of a direct-to-customer manufacturer selling thru a retailer. Bass Direct have to pay 20% VAT plus overheads (rent, wages, utilities etc.) & make a profit. If we buy direct from Public Peace some of those elements are removed. I was very fortunate to buy mine recently from a fellow BC-er. I thought the red-burst one Bass Direct have in stock was competitively priced given all of the above & the current exchange rate situation.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1478179520' post='3167316']
The difficulty of a direct-to-customer manufacturer selling thru a retailer. Bass Direct have to pay 20% VAT plus overheads (rent, wages, utilities etc.) & make a profit. If we buy direct from Public Peace some of those elements are removed. I was very fortunate to buy mine recently from a fellow BC-er. I thought the red-burst one Bass Direct have in stock was competitively priced given all of the above & the current exchange rate situation.
[/quote]

Well, not the vat, they get the vat back from that paid to Maruszczyk, and then add it again, so they get 19% back and then pay 20% - not much in it.

But if you look at the redburst one and look at my redburst one, same pickups, mine is a direct payment and is more expensive than that (not too much, and it would have been cheaper if I had paid for all of it a few months ago), so it doesn't seem that excessive, plus you get to take it back if you don't like it!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1478194517' post='3167477']
Well, not the vat, they get the vat back from that paid to Maruszczyk, and then add it again, so they get 19% back and then pay 20% - not much in it.

But if you look at the redburst one and look at my redburst one, same pickups, mine is a direct payment and is more expensive than that (not too much, and it would have been cheaper if I had paid for all of it a few months ago), so it doesn't seem that excessive, plus you get to take it back if you don't like it!
[/quote]

there's no VAT between them. Like there's No vat between me and Adrian.

No Vat between VAT registered companies in EU

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1478231519' post='3167751']
there's no VAT between them. Like there's No vat between me and Adrian.

No Vat between VAT registered companies in EU
[/quote]

Thats what I said, they get the vat back (effectively don't pay vat), but then apply UK vat for sale, so if you buy from Maruszczyk direct you pay 19% vat, if you buy from bass direct you pay 20% uk vat, so there is nothing really in it.

OK, its sunny out there, so spam time, I didn't think the sofa shot really shows it off that well, so heres some others. Sorry for the spam (not really)

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/P1100431_zpsjzfo3gar.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/P1100456_zpssfbaa5lt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/P1100458_zpsiqp87rf8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/cc285685-786a-43bf-b00a-2367ffc324a1_zps1dsupukm.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Woodinblack

I think I thought of the flame because of someone mentioning it here, and it almost didn't get in but when the MOP inlays went, the price came down so I thought what the hell. It doesn't show to anyone else, but like the luminay dots, some things are just there for my benefit!

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1478457228' post='3169159']
Eleven weeks into my build.

Hope to hear something soon, placed an order on 22nd of August, so it's been a wait.
[/quote]

Can't be long now. Tell you, the wait after the sofa shot seems long too as you are almost there!