Why become a member? ×

Spotify, very very impressed, anyone else use it ?

tonybassplayer

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422042365' post='2668212']
Amazing how much faith people seem to be putting into streaming services. I'll always be able to listen to the music I have on vinyl and CD as long as I have something to play them on. If my favourite artist decides to pull their music from Spotify then it's gone and you want to be able to listen to it again. If you haven't downloaded the tracks using one of the paid for accounts then you are totally dependent upon having a network connection to be able to listen.

Also Spotify won't be around forever. Something better/different will come along and then you'll have to start all over again building up your playlists/collections.
[/quote]

Good point.

Yes another spotify user here.

Great for downloading tracks to my phone and keeping a running playlist aswell.

Also my band are on spotify! Have a listen. (Shameless Plug...)

[url="https://play.spotify.com/artist/2ZfVt1XosoUDH3DAYf9rck"]https://play.spotify.com/artist/2ZfVt1XosoUDH3DAYf9rck[/url]

[size=4]It's obviously very popular, and I guess good for the consumer.[/size]

[size=4]It's rubbish for artists though. I get $0.00081900 per play for some of my music. I'm not sure how they structure the payments, that's for a longer piece, I actually get [/size]more for shorter ones. Most bizarre !

:)

Edited by ambient

• 4 weeks later...

Of course if you haven't seen it already, there's a very cool BassChat Spotify playlist you are free to add to, that I'm enjoying listening to right now!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/246416-spotify-best-bass-lines-evaaar-playlist-get-involved/page__st__30__p__2604961__hl__spotify__fromsearch__1#entry2604961"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2604961[/url]

OMG, I've found a track on there by a band I was in in the early 90s! Thirteen years later it appears on a compilation that was released eight years ago! Talk about your life being online... please play it - I'll get 0.05 percent of $0.007. Then off to Antigua for me!

[url="https://play.spotify.com/artist/4m1cs1JF78z6Bs8zeqYKjx"]https://play.spotify.com/artist/4m1cs1JF78z6Bs8zeqYKjx[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424347059' post='2695342']
OMG, I've found a track on there by a band I was in in the early 90s! Thirteen years later it appears on a compilation that was released eight years ago! Talk about your life being online... please play it - I'll get 0.05 percent of $0.007. Then off to Antigua for me!

[url="https://play.spotify.com/artist/4m1cs1JF78z6Bs8zeqYKjx"]https://play.spotify...F78z6Bs8zeqYKjx[/url]
[/quote]

I'll put it on an infinite loop of repeating play on my Samsung tablet...you might have to wait a few, um, months for the royalties to stack up though :)

I was a Spotify user for a while when it first came out then moved around a few of their competitors to see what was out there, ended up sticking with Sony's Music Unlimited as I had my PS3 hooked up to my decent hi-fi it meant I could use full streaming for the cheaper 4.99 price. Now that's shutting down I've come back to Spotify.

On the royalties front; I do royalties as a profession having worked in music and indeed at one of Spotify's competitors - it is the labels that people should be pointing the finger at, not the services. Firstly the majors all enforce that they need shares in the company before they will do the licensing deal at all, then they negotiate very hard on the royalty rates to make it difficult for the services to ever turn a profit. After that they of course keep c80% of the revenue for themselves before using the rest as recoupment against the artists advances. Of course there is the argument that the labels need this in order to keep investing in new talent but I guess that's a different discussion & no one is forcing bands to sign to the labels.

For those of you that are curious; the royalties are not paid out on a per play basis but are actually the greater of a revenue share or a per subscriber minimum, divided among the labels based on their market share in the given month/territory. Many labels do then report on to the artists on a per play basis due to the way their systems work but this varies by label.

If you look at the per play conversion the company I used to work for paid out on average 2p per play to the labels so most artists would have got around half a penny per play from the recording side then whatever they got from their publisher. Spotify pay out substantially less because the labels had them over a barrel when they first started & would have agreed to anything in order to get the service launched (first to break the market often ends up the winner) & they also have for more free users than subscribers.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424348873' post='2695373']
I'll put it on an infinite loop of repeating play on my Samsung tablet...you might have to wait a few, um, months for the royalties to stack up though :)
[/quote]

Haha, thanks! :D Very strange to hear it after all these years. So [i]that's[/i] how I wasted my time before Basschat...

I've been using the free version for a few weeks now, really impressed with it, my mum's going to pay for the subscripton for my birthday next month so looking forward to being able to listen to specific songs and albums in the correct order :)

Spot's great. I've just had some dots through the post for an upcoming gig. My reading's OK-ish but it was good to get a crib off the original versions.

I recently got a pair of Bluetooth headphones and am looking around for speakers. But could anyone point me in the direction of gizmo I can put on the front of my hifi to get a signal from my iPad. Any suggestion gratefully received.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1424518192' post='2697171']
Spot's great. I've just had some dots through the post for an upcoming gig. My reading's OK-ish but it was good to get a crib off the original versions.

I recently got a pair of Bluetooth headphones and am looking around for speakers. But could anyone point me in the direction of gizmo I can put on the front of my hifi to get a signal from my iPad. Any suggestion gratefully received.
[/quote]
If you've got a 3.5mm aux input, then a Bluetooth to Aux adapter is possible? Or, just use a straight aux to aux?

Spotify is brilliant when your in a function, covers band. We have a shared playlist, set is decided a week or so before a gig, everyone has the same version and new ideas are easy to come by with being able to access playlists. Even banged together a kids party playlist in about 20 mins for my daughter and played it through a little desk and tops.

@Bassace - I just use a 3.5mm headphone-jack to phono-jack lead & plug it into one of the inputs on the amp, that's probably the cheapest option though I'm sure you could get a bluetooth to phono adapter if you wanted to move the iPad around.

Edited by Lw.

Spotify is great. From a listener perspective and a musicians perspective.
It's incredible that you can have playlists downloadable and can listen to them when not having an Internet connection. Getting to know new band from other peoples playlists. Etc.

As for people bitching about them not paying enough. You just probably have a sh*tty deal on the digital part in your contract. That's YOUR fault! Bitch at your label.
Spotify pays out 70% and that's just as much as iTunes. The more people use spotify the more potential listeners you you will have the more money you will make.
And you get paid EVERY single time. It's fantastic. If nobody listens then: your promo might be lacking or your music just isn't interesting enough etc etc.
Streaming is the way forward. Some people just like to keep living in the past I guess. Yes and I do listen to vinyl sometimes. But that doesn't mean I believe it will come back.

We use it in work all the time. The playlists are handy and easily provide some variety, rather than just playing 1 artists endlessly, and having to spend considerable work time thinking of things to play that aren't too "out there" and off-putting for people.

My favourite is the Hipster Funk playlist.

We use an iPad for POS, so we just stream Spotify, and then we have a bluetooth speaker hidden at the other end of the shop, which we control entirely from the iPad. It's very handy.