Why become a member? ×

Stupid equipment mistakes!!!

barneyg42

My 'greatest hits' include forgetting to turn the volume on the bass up when I've silenced it, spending two frantic minutes (that felt like ten) before a gig failing to notice that I'd turned the mains power for my rack off at the wall, and running over my own mic stand after we'd done the post-gig gear distribution from van back into our own cars. I'd put it down in the dark, not missed it when surveying the contents of the boot, and then didn't miss it again as I reversed straight over it... still, no one died, although the stand has never been the same again.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421240917' post='2658789']
No

Blue
[/quote]
I'm confused. From what you say I assume you haven't tried the Zoom, so are you basing your judgment of it solely on its cost, or not? If not, why mention its price 4 times?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421215324' post='2658465']
I have to back up a little here, so you are saying that the Zoom B1Xon which is a $76.00 multi effects processor is no different than what I get from my pedals. Not that price means anything, but $70.00 wouldn't cover the cost of one of my pedals.

I am having a hard time with how this inexpensive $76.00 Zoom B1Xon can provide the same or better "mojo" than my pedals. But like some of you guys say, I'm old and probably don't know anything.

Any of you older guys want to chime in on this?

[b] [size=3]Zoom B1Xon Bass Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal[/size][/b]

List Price: $89.47 Price: $76.00

Blue

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000][b]Blue's Pedal Board [/b][/color][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Line 6 Wireless Relay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Korg Pitch Black Tuner[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Bass Octave[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss OB3 Overdrive[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Phase Shifter[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss Synth Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Dedicated Delay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]EBS Multi-Comp Compression[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Chorus[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb[/color][/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]

I personally don't fancy the Zoom B1Xon for live use, because it looks more complicated to edit than the B3, losing that individual pedal feeling. However, I believe it sounds the same.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1421253204' post='2658990']
I'm confused. From what you say I assume you haven't tried the Zoom, so are you basing your judgment of it solely on its cost, or not? If not, why mention its price 4 times?
[/quote]

Yeah,my opinion is based pretty much on cost. I just can't believe there is anything that would fit my standards for gigs that cost $76.00.

I use a Korg Multi Effects unit at home and it sounds great for practicing but IMHO it's no where near the robust sound of a pedal, I would never gig with it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421257223' post='2659063']
Yeah,my opinion is based pretty much on cost. I just can't believe there is anything that would fit my standards for gigs that cost $76.00.
[/quote]
Unit A costs more than unit B and therefore it must be better.
How is that different from saying artist A sells more CDs than artist B and therefore must be more talented?

I remember a time where the bassist of our band( I was playing guitar at the time) listened to the drummer and plugged his bass into a guitar amp.

The speaker literally farted inside out.

I remember the smoke and acrid smell in the room and we all looked at the drummer and shook our heads in unison.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421257223' post='2659063']

I use a Korg Multi Effects unit at home and it sounds great for practicing but IMHO it's no where near the robust sound of a pedal, I would never gig with it.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue,

Have a look at this video, it's someone doing an A/B comparison between a Zoom MS60B (£75) emulating an Xotic BB pre-amp with the real thing - which costs more than twice as much.

http://youtu.be/CbENF9j10iA

The same guy has other similar videos.
Seriously, digital technology has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and Zoom offer outstanding value for money.
If you're ever near Glasgow, I'll gladly let try my B3!

Santa gave me a G30 wireless unit for Christmas and at the first gig I'm enjoying the total freedom to clown around when the bass disappears into a dull clacking sound. Quick change of lead, same result; signal leds lit up like a Christmas tree and signal getting through but still a dull clack. Out comes the old leads and plug in direct. Still the same sound. Total panic, thank god I brought the spare bass but as i reach out for the new bass I notice my tie, it's the first time I've worn a tie at a gig, which has managed not only to get caught in the strings but to weave itself over the E under the A and back over the G. :blush:[size=4] [/size]

Classic at last night's rehearsal: guitarist trying to work out why he can't get his amp to light up. I was just about to say "But aren't you still holding...." when he realised he was pressing buttons and flicking switches with one hand while in the other hand was the mains plug for his amp. Inserted plug in wall socket and all was well.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1421331581' post='2659956']
...he was pressing buttons and flicking switches with one hand while in the other hand was the mains plug for his amp.
[/quote]

Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing... Matthew 6:3. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421331696' post='2659960']
Nor me. I hate them with a passion.
[/quote]

Good gracious..? How, then, does one tell which university a fellow has attended, eh..? One might cross a bounder, or a cad..! ([i]shudders at the thought; goes back to sucking his chin[/i]...)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1421331581' post='2659956']
Classic at last night's rehearsal: guitarist trying to work out why he can't get his amp to light up. I was just about to say "But aren't you still holding...." when he realised he was pressing buttons and flicking switches with one hand while in the other hand was the mains plug for his amp. Inserted plug in wall socket and all was well.
[/quote]

I did something similar at rehearsal a couple of days ago. Plugged into an extension lead, carefully checked it was attached to a mains outlet and switched on, then rechecked several times as the amp was not working. Finally realized that I had not switched the amp on.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421331943' post='2659968']
How, then, does one tell which university a fellow has attended, eh..?
[/quote]

Well I've got a certificate for swimming a width and a National Cycling Proficiency badge...
and just missed the Mrs Joyful Prize for Rafia Work by a whisker.

No further qualifications were necessary to get a decent job in 1976.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1421332286' post='2659975']
I did something similar at rehearsal a couple of days ago. Plugged into an extension lead, carefully checked it was attached to a mains outlet and switched on, then rechecked several times as the amp was not working. Finally realized that I had not switched the amp on.
[/quote]

I find it helps these days to do the mushrooms [i]after [/i]the rehearsal.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421332890' post='2659991']
Well I've got a certificate for swimming a width and a National Cycling Proficiency badge...
and just missed the Mrs Joyful Prize for Rafia Work by a whisker.

No further qualifications were necessary to get a decent job in 1976.
[/quote]

Well, that's a width more than I can manage..! :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421215324' post='2658465']

I have to back up a little here, so you are saying that the Zoom B1Xon which is a $76.00 multi effects processor is no different than what I get from my pedals. Not that price means anything, but $70.00 wouldn't cover the cost of one of my pedals.

I am having a hard time with how this inexpensive $76.00 Zoom B1Xon can provide the same or better "mojo" than my pedals. But like some of you guys say, I'm old and probably don't know anything.

Any of you older guys want to chime in on this?

[b] [size=3]Zoom B1Xon Bass Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal[/size][/b]

List Price: $89.47 Price: $76.00

Blue

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000][b]Blue's Pedal Board [/b][/color][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Line 6 Wireless Relay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Korg Pitch Black Tuner[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Bass Octave[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss OB3 Overdrive[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Phase Shifter[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss Synth Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Dedicated Delay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]EBS Multi-Comp Compression[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Chorus[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb[/color][/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]

I used to use a huge pedal board, which I built and honed over many years, (including an old zoom 506 in a separate loop-giving me access to some of it's great sounds, but without the tone suck and noise)

At one point I had an almost entirely EBS board, owned a range of boutique and vintage pedals.
Then for practicality's sake I switched to a boss gt6b. Hated it. But I tried the zoom B9 which was £350 at the time.
Amazing.
I never looked back, the quality of the sounds was superb, with careful editing, I recreated all my pedal board sounds by A/B'ing carefully both at low and high volume. The switching is instant and the flexibility fantastic, it's my rehearsal/studio rig as well as live thanks to the amp sims, which I can use when not using an amp, but keep all my fx settings intact. It's done probably over 500 gigs, and I just bought a back up unit for it, so I own two.

On guitar I use the guitar version, and receive a great many compliments on my tone! (I run guitar in stereo live too)
If I'm travelling light, I can take either the zoom B2 and sound pretty similar, or my Zoom G1xon, which I mainly use on acoustic to be fair.

I've been gigging pretty constantly for 25 years, owned over 75 basses, a ton of guitars, amps and god knows what else, played various HUGE venues etc, worked as a sound engineer, hi-fi sales guy, lighting guy, etc etc, I know my tones and tone goals in general and how to achieve them, but I'll always loudly vouch for the quality of the later generations of zoom FX
Heck, some of their old stuff had good sounds, you just had to program them well.

Good stuff y'know. ;)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1421337081' post='2660072']
Heck, some of their old stuff had good sounds, you just had to program them well.
[/quote]

I don't understand. Are you older or younger than 60? And does your Zoom unit still sound as good as it did when it was worth £350? 'cos I've seen them cheaper these days and I don't imagine the cheaper ones are as good

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1421339238' post='2660105']

I don't understand. Are you older or younger than 60? And does your Zoom unit still sound as good as it did when it was worth £350? 'cos I've seen them cheaper these days and I don't imagine the cheaper ones are as good
[/quote]

That's how electronics prices work. It's priced to recover design and development costs in the first 18months. After that prices plummet for equipment where the actual manufacturing costs are low relative to the R&D costs.