Why become a member? ×

What to do?

rogerstodge

I've just looked at my (almost fully booked) gig list for 2015, and I'm saying to myself " oh no not that gig again and i hate that effing place or bloody hell ive gotta drive all the way to St Albans again"
If I'm thinking like this is it time to call it a day?, I get on really well with the rest of the band but i just dread the gigs, setting up, packing away and driving to and from.
I may have the chance of joining an originals band from the 70s who gig once every couple of months on average, proper gigs as well not rough dingy pubs , most of you will probably tell me to make my own mind up but i thought I'd share this anyway and maybe get some of your thoughts.
Cheers.

Edit
I've been with them for 7 years, before that i was in a tribute band for 10 years playing a hell of a lot of gigs and some really gruelling tours.

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1420833443' post='2654112']
Depends on whether it's paying the mortgage really......if you can live without it and afford to bugger off and just play music, it's a no brainer.
:)
[/quote]mortgage is paid off, the money obviously comes in handy but i could live without it.

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1420833255' post='2654108']
If I'm thinking like this is it time to call it a day?, I get on really well with the rest of the band but i just dread the gigs, setting up, packing away and driving to and from.
[/quote]

I'd say yes it most certainly is.

That's how I ended up feeling about regular gigging (though I didn't even have the luxury of getting on well with the other band members towards the end) so I stopped & have never regretted it for a second.

I have done the VERY occasional gig (three in ten years) which has been a bit of fun but it's never made me think "oh I've really missed this".

I've just looked at my (almost fully booked) gig list for 2015, and I'm saying to myself " oh no not that gig again and i hate that effing place or bloody hell ive gotta drive all the way to St Albans again"
I may have the chance of joining an originals band from the 70s who gig once every couple of months on average, proper gigs as well not rough dingy pubs , most of you will probably tell me to make my own mind up but i thought I'd share this anyway and maybe get some of your thoughts.
Cheers.

Edit
I've been with them for 7 years, before that i was in a tribute band for 10 years playing a hell of a lot of gigs and some really gruelling tours.
[/quote]

Definitely call is a day. There are guys going crazy trying to find a band that works and has gigs.

There are a lot of us that are far beyond not liking venues, absolutely love gigging, setting up and tearing down and driving.

This is an opportunity a lot of guys would love.

Give your notice fast. Hopefully someone that's into it will win this opportunity

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1420833783' post='2654119']
I empathise as I feel the exact same way. When gigging becomes a pain then its time to give it a rest!
[/quote]

Exactly this....
You may be burnt out or you may just have had enough of this unit, but I say quit as soon as poss,
You are doing nobody any favours sticking around, IMO.

Get out. Do something you enjoy. I have just taken a huge pay cut. I cut my ties with my wedding band (£20,000 per year. 90% Weekends 100% past 6.30pm. 90% within a half hours drive. Part time job. Full time wage) and now play on cruise ships for around £12,000 per year. I effin' love ships. I love the travel. I love the working 7 nights a week. I love the people I work with. I love the drinking after gigs. I love that no gig is more than 5 minutes from where I live. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I never need to set up or pack down because that is literally someone else's job.

I understand that you're not in it for the money, but do something you enjoy with your bass. I was starting to hate most aspects of my wedding band. I also know that when I'm done with ships, I'll be a far better player and that there'll still be wedding bands around to join for the cash, should I have to.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1420938032' post='2655380']
Get out. Do something you enjoy. I have just taken a huge pay cut. I cut my ties with my wedding band (£20,000 per year. 90% Weekends 100% past 6.30pm. 90% within a half hours drive. Part time job. Full time wage) and now play on cruise ships for around £12,000 per year. I effin' love ships. I love the travel. I love the working 7 nights a week. I love the people I work with. I love the drinking after gigs. I love that no gig is more than 5 minutes from where I live. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I never need to set up or pack down because that is literally someone else's job.

I understand that you're not in it for the money, but do something you enjoy with your bass. I was starting to hate most aspects of my wedding band. I also know that when I'm done with ships, I'll be a far better player and that there'll still be wedding bands around to join for the cash, should I have to.
[/quote]

Great story and a good example of a guy that has the right gig and is in the right band. I would bet he made his choices carefully.

I think guys that decide to quit have other skills, interests and talents. They also probably ended up in a band where they didn't put the needed thought into before taking the gig and IMHO the love for the game was never really there.

The only reason I can understand getting out for would be when health issues stop a guy from gigging which stinks.

Blue

Edited by blue

Well whatever happens Paul, make the decision after Jan 29th as coming to see you guys - in effing Watford :lol:

But seriously, having experienced the same feelings as you`ve described, the writing is on the wall. I think time to jump ship before you start to really resent it.

Edited by Lozz196

If it's not your bread and butter and If you don't need the money, then it's time to go your own way. Amateur bands are supposed to be fun and if they've become a drag, it's best to find your fun elsewhere.
Give the band plenty of notice and go on to pastures new.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420966059' post='2655447']
Well whatever happens Paul, make the decision after Jan 29th as coming to see you guys - in effing Watford :lol:

But seriously, having experienced the same feelings as you`ve described, the writing is on the wall. I think time to jump ship before you start to really resent it.
[/quote]
THIS^^ Maybe a change of band would get the juices going again...a change is good as a rest. A fresh challenge if you like.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1420833443' post='2654112']
Depends on whether it's paying the mortgage really......if you can live without it and afford to bugger off and just play music, it's a no-brainer........

:)
[/quote]

I agree with this. If you are a successful "IT Consultant" and playing is a hobby then do what you like. If its a 'job' then you need to maintain revenue stream. Even 'Pino' has to pay the bills :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420966059' post='2655447']

[/quote]i won't be doing "effing" Watford mate, its a Thurs, that'll be Glam Rock Glenn's gig

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1420995726' post='2655961']
i won't be doing "effing" Watford mate, its a Thurs, that'll be Glam Rock Glenn's gig
[/quote]

Ah Glenns still about then - well I suppose at least there`s a ready made band member in the wings should you decide to go.

I just dread the gigs, setting up, packing away and driving to and from.
[/quote]
I think many of us would admit to hating the packing away. Some probably don't like the setting up (can't say I particularly love or hate it) or the travelling (I love driving so it doesn't bother me, in fact I really love driving home from a good gig in the wee small hours). So dreading those aspects isn't anything unremarkable or uncommon. But if you are dreading the [i]actual gigs[/i] themselves? Then yes, it's time for adios -- to that band anyway. Either that, or book the gigs yourself in future, at venues you don't hate.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1421001131' post='2656047']
I think many of us would admit to hating the packing away. Some probably don't like the setting up (can't say I particularly love or hate it) or the travelling (I love driving so it doesn't bother me, in fact I really love driving home from a good gig in the wee small hours). So dreading those aspects isn't anything unremarkable or uncommon. But if you are dreading the [i]actual gigs[/i] themselves? Then yes, it's time for adios -- to that band anyway. Either that, or book the gigs yourself in future, at venues you don't hate.
[/quote]

I also love driving home from gigs early in the morning and returning to my empty condo.

After 50 years I can't really say there's anything that bothers me about gigging. There will always be venues that are more difficult than others, but that's part of the job.

Blue

Edited by blue