Why become a member? ×

I Just Plug In And Go! Rare?

spongebob

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1420667952' post='2652070']
is it me , or has the bassist in that pic got his bass the wrong way round? i.e. hes fingering the back of the neck? (ooer)
[/quote]

Any better..? That's our youngest, Tom, playing my 6-string fretless. I don't get to see it much since he got his hands on it. :rolleyes:

Staying on topic for a change, that Boss multi has been abandoned since; Tom now just plugs directly into the Hiwatt.

Edited by Dad3353

I used to plug directly (or via a tune pedal perhaps, negligible effect on proper gigging tone) but since I got a BassAttack pedal several years ago I found that I could get a tone I preferred which I couldn't quite achieve with the amp alone despite there being a lot of things to tweak (trace combo so it has EQ sliders, the 'shape' button and compression all adjustable at the amp end). However I couldn't get the same sound if I set everything 'flat' on the amp and only used the pedal for tone shaping, it really seems to be a combination of them both. One reason I'm a bit loathed to change rigs despite the weight and age of the combo.

I'm fairly new to bass and gigging and for the first few gigs was very happy plugging in and playing directly to my TC BG500 Combo. It's a great amp and the tubetone gives it a valve type flavour that I love. However, the inaccurate built in tuner led me to getting a Snark floor tuner and I also had a Behringer BDI preamp as a backup. I've now go a small pedal board (Snark/BDI/Digitech Bass Wah) now using the Behringer on most of the time for added tubey type tone and adjusting eq song by song on the bass (Ibanez SRX530). I think using the BDI just add a bit more character/presence and helps the tone cut a bit more in the band. We cover everything from Stones to Maiden so I need everything from a muddy thump to a growling precision type tone.

I've just ordered the Sansamp Tech 21 - kind of a late Christmas present for myself!

I've been looking on and off at these for a year or so, but been a little disillusioned with my tone of late, feel it would be good to try a new approach. Never done anything like this before, so it's a journey of discovery for me.

I also read that most bass tones yo hear live on on record have normally been through some kind of box or other, so maybe I'm just finally joining the 20th century! :blush:

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1420722743' post='2652534']
No effects for meeeee! I love how my bass and amp sound. I just EQ as necessary.
[/quote]

IMO EQ is an effect. In fact anything that does more than simply make the sound of the plucked string louder is an effect.

Edited by BigRedX