Why become a member? ×

Musicman experts.Help please, to identify this Musicman Ray 34?

karlfer

I have been offered the following Ray34 as part ex against my thumb. He has valued his Ray 34 at £500. Without exception, every Ray 34 I can find has gone for between £350/£400.
If I did the deal, I wouldn't be keeping the bass (not my thing) I need to ensure I don't lose out.
I can't find any Ray 34 that looks like this, with what seems to be a quilted top and pick up setting selector switch (although quite a few SB14's appear to have that feature).
Any info gratefully accepted,
cheers,
Karl.

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/10430914_646826422070737_5266790318517841091_n_zps99932646.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1420542088' post='2650372']
I think this one may have been tinkered with. I dont think they have ever offered anything like this.
[/quote]

I couldn't find one anywhere although I came across a vague reference to a 2011 special edition. :scratch_one-s_head:

That looks like someone has taken a Sterling neck and built their own body to replicate the old Stingray limited edition with the flame top. The pickups dont look right either, I thing the standard Sterling 34 has the new pickups with the built in sloping thumb rest bit, they dont look like normal Stingray pickups.

I would stay clear, you wont shift that on IMHO.

Every Sterling Ray 34 I have seen was one pickup, with a scratchplate. A selector switch only on the five-string Ray 35. Is that body a Music Man copy, mated to an Indonesian Sterling neck? The bridge is wrong.

Edited by grenadilla

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1420545699' post='2650420']
That looks like someone has taken a Sterling neck and built their own body to replicate the old Stingray limited edition with the flame top. The pickups dont look right either, I thing the standard Sterling 34 has the new pickups with the built in sloping thumb rest bit, they dont look like normal Stingray pickups.

[/quote]
[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1420545866' post='2650423']
Every Sterling Ray 34 I have seen was one pickup, with a scratchplate. A selector switch only on the five-string Ray 35. Is that body a Music Man copy, mated to an Indonesian Sterling neck? The bridge is wrong.
[/quote]

These seem spot-on to me.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1420545699' post='2650420']

[/quote]

My old Ray 34 had the sloping rest, so you're right. I think this is a clear bitsa. I know it's all subjective and whatnot but i think you'd seriously struggle to shift this for £500 Karlfer.

Thanks very much fellas.
He got back to me after a few questions and claimed it's a one off.
Looking back through his posts on Faecesbook he had it out at £750 at one stage :o

So glad I checked with you lot, because if he'd gone to £500 cash, plus this bass for my £900 Warwick I may well have jumped.
His bass is, after all, IMO, a bloody good looker.
Close escape methinks :P

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1420571963' post='2650817']
Karlfer how do you keep finding wronguns to deal with ?
Well dodged !
[/quote]

It's a knack, the only skill I have :lol:

He's been back on since stating he had it made to look the same as his Lakland 55 something or other.

When I sell this Warwick, that's it, I'm done, finito.

Aye, right, :lol: :lol: :lol:

For further conformation you could probably have posted the pic on the Ernie Ball forum, Sterling himself might have been able to confirm if it was some sort of prototype or trade show one-off. As others have pointed out it probably isn't either but those guys on the forum would have put you straight pretty quicky. Then probably banned you for posting a dodgy bass with an EB neck on it ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1420628363' post='2651404']
For further conformation you could probably have posted the pic on the Ernie Ball forum, Sterling himself might have been able to confirm if it was some sort of prototype or trade show one-off. As others have pointed out it probably isn't either but those guys on the forum would have put you straight pretty quicky. Then probably banned you for posting a dodgy bass with an EB neck on it ;)
[/quote]

I was recently on there and found a nice little vid of a chap who put EMGs in his Ray5.

It got to about 3 replies before it was locked!! :D

It sounded great though