Why become a member? ×

Bass on this track - Uptown Funk

Paul S

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1420810119' post='2653715']
I think the poster above is refering to the vocal doubling the main bass line?
[/quote]

Not so much the vocal (which is clearly audible), but listening on the TV speakers when my wife has a music channel on, it sounded to me like there was some kind of synth sound thickening up the bassline too, though the fills are unmistakably bass guitar. Listening again on headphones, I'm not so certain now - it may just be the bass and the low pitched vocal...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1420814743' post='2653801']
...it may just be the bass and the low pitched vocal...
[/quote]

I think it may well be. Plus a bit of judicious processing to blend them somewhat.
It's a very clean track - there's not an awful lot going on playing-wise... but quite a lot of post-production methinks.

[size=3]I think I was being too simplistic in spreading out my thoughts.

A Vocoder, as far as I know, is an organ/synth effect, rather than a guitar effect, as used by Herbie Hancock in Rockit. I know it isn't one of those.

I had in mind one of those guitar effects which was a voice box with a tube thingy as used by Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Richie Sambora et al. I thought the effect on the bass reminded me of this and wondered if anyone was aware of one being used with a bass. If so it might be an effective way of getting a similar sound without complicated processing.[/size]

Edited by Paul S

Can't comment on the effect used, but it was indeed Jeff Bhasker playing bass on the record, Mark Ronson himself confirmed this in a recent interview. Pretty damn good player, and the tone is awesome as well IMO. (Bruno Mars played the drums on this track).

Anyone heard Feel Right from the Ronson album? Musically reminiscent of early James Brown, and Mystikal's performance is quite entertaining.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1420893838' post='2654658']
Can't comment on the effect used, but it was indeed Jeff Bhasker playing bass on the record, Mark Ronson himself confirmed this in a recent interview. Pretty damn good player, and the tone is awesome as well IMO. (Bruno Mars played the drums on this track).

Anyone heard Feel Right from the Ronson album? Musically reminiscent of early James Brown, and Mystikal's performance is quite entertaining.
[/quote]

Jamareo Artis gets the bass credit according to the wiki page, Bhasker gets a production & writing credit. Also on the finale of The Voice(USA) Artis is playing a Warwick seen in this this clip.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SELnJ3nMS5k

Edited by dieseldalziel

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1420985954' post='2655810']
Every time I hear uptown funk I go away singing living in America!
[/quote]
Every time I hear Uptown Funk I go away thinking that perhaps there is hope for the future of 'popular' music after all, despite Cowell. :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1420658981' post='2651885']
Well, this song has edgamacated me in one regard. I was a bit baffled by the lyric "smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy".

Apparently Skippy is a brand of Peanut Butter. I conclude he's not referring to the "crunchy" type.

That is all.
[/quote]

Skippy is my favourite brand of peanut butter but it's become increasingly hard to find. Larger Tesco branches used to have it but removed it a year or so ago. Costco have it in larger jars :)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1420804834' post='2653590']
I know it doesn't mean much, but when they performed it live on the US version of "the Voice", the guy played a Precision style bass.
I know, i know, it doesn't gaurantee it was on the record, and the performance may have been "mimed", I'm just saying :)
[/quote]
He always plays one live yet the bruno mars records are full of 5 string bass, I dont know why, too cool to be seen with a fiver live?

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1421270960' post='2659295']
Don't know if you guys caught this Bruno performance but this is the gig we should have been at last year :) watch it to the end
[media]http://youtu.be/F2i0Bc3f7jk[/media]
[/quote]

Unfortunately the superbowl is infamous for musicians miming i refer you to the rhcp debacle a couple of years ago

iirc all the music is track but the vocals are live for the performance

i've seen bruno mars live on his last tour and jamero artis played a 4 string p bass for most of the gig however i remember him changing to a 5 for a couple of songs