Why become a member? ×

I really want one!!

JJW

They are so overpriced, but I am a massive kiss fan and I really want one. Do you think it looks cool? Please don't comment on the stupid/novelty body design.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=291338788862&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

I don't think it looks cool to be brutally honest - but then I'm not a massive KISS fan. :)
However you obviously are, you want one, you're not bothered about the price and you really like it, so I'd say GO FOR IT!! :D

GAS manifests itself in myriad and unexpected ways. This time last year I would never have considered a Spector, so...

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1419871185' post='2643386']
I am particularly irritated by the cynical manipulation of the Kiss fan base with this product.
[/quote]

So am I... [i]but [/i]on the other hand people (including KISS fans) should be free to spend their hard-earned cash however they see fit in our market-led twenty-first century global consumer-capitalist system. So now I'm not sure what to think.

You can be quite sure that however this pans out, the hypocrisy of the situation will sicken me. :crazy:

Looks very KISS . . . if that's your thing.

It's probably the real deal (one of the high end axes from an unknown source, with a one off paint job).
The ad says: "[font="Verdana"][size="5"][b]GUARANTEED TO INCREASE IN VALUE[/b][/size][/font]"

wow that's big when copied & pasted! in any case if you pay 10k it's definitely not guaranteed to increase in value.
Could be worth a lot, but only bid if you have the disposable income. I wouldn't consider it an investment, even if it had been played by Mr. Simmons...

YMMV of course!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1419922034' post='2643925']
I am a huge Kiss fan but really do not like the design of this bass and think it is over priced I would rather have a Punisher :)
[/quote]

I think the Punisher (especially the original through-neck) is a really good-looking bass. Ironically the only reason I wouldn't have one is that I'm not a huge Kiss fan.

That & the neck-dive.

Jon.

As I interpret it, neck dive is about how you wear the bass - where the center of gravity lies: between the strap buttons - or outside them.

If the center of gravity is too close to the neck strap button - It feel neck heavy - the bass can either be held at a steep angle, or supported with the fretting hand...
Things like moving strap buttons, using grippy straps, and using lighter tuners can definitely make a bass that feels neck heavy balance better.

If I have my trivia right, the widely available punisher and axe basses are different to the ones used by Mr. Simmons - both where the strap buttons are, what is wired to the output jack, and the strap button fixings (a strap is built into the costume, with eyelets instead of strap buttons that clip into the costume).

I'm not really a KISS fan - but it's hard not to take an interest in such a high profile player.

Neck-dive is really just an inherent feature of any 34" scale symmetrical body bass - the reason your Ps, Js & other asymmetrical basses don't dive so much is just the way the weight's redistributed by sticking the top button out near the 12th fret. It's much less of a problem on shortscale basses.

I've got a couple of lovely symmetrical-body basses that hardly ever get out because I find supporting the neck awkward. Perhaps I should copy Mr Simmons & build something into my clothes to support it.

And maybe get some Godzilla boots, too... :D

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1420040631' post='2645092']
Neck-dive is really just an inherent feature of any 34" scale symmetrical body bass - the reason your Ps, Js & other asymmetrical basses don't dive so much is just the way the weight's redistributed by sticking the top button out near the 12th fret. It's much less of a problem on shortscale basses.

I've got a couple of lovely symmetrical-body basses that hardly ever get out because I find supporting the neck awkward. Perhaps I should copy Mr Simmons & build something into my clothes to support it.

And maybe get some Godzilla boots, too... :D

J.
[/quote]

Well it depends on the symmetrical shape: if it's like a les paul bass shape, it'll need a heavy body or it will neck dive.
In the case of fender style basses (34", J or P) they have the upper horn to compensate for the variable body weight and often fairly heavy machine head.

With a few tweaks almost any bass can be more playable standing up - but you may need super light tuners, a grippy strap, and even a strap button extender.
I've seen weight pouches incorporated into straps - but that'll be only ideal for the very strong or those with extremely light basses (or very short sets!).
Extreme mods like body chambering or neck shaving can probably do a lot - but only on the correct basses.

In any case you might find a solution for some of the worst of the neck dive. A steel tube moving the strap button would be my personal approach - after the ultralight tuner experiment! (take one tuner off, weigh it, compare to light tuner weights, then simulate the weight of a set of ultralight tuners by taking one (or two) off)...

Here's a cool pic for yer viewing pleasure:

Not sure about the Godzilla boots personally!