Why become a member? ×

Do I really need a spare bass...

Guest BeardyBob

I'm surprised at the lack of broken strings on display in this topic. I tend to break an A or E string at least every dozen gigs or so. I do tend to dig in with a pick near the bridge, though.

In my experience, guitarists are more than happy to noodle away for the couple of minutes it takes to get a new string on there. My advice is to keep your spares close at hand, and readily accessible.

I've only ever had my amp go once, about 15 years ago during a soundcheck - a fuse blew in it, which it turns out wasn't unheard of in new Trace heads at the time. They sent me an envelope full of fuses when I called them about it - I only ever needed to replace the initial blown one, and it's been fine since. the rest are still in the envelope in my gig bag.

What I did at the time was plug straight into the PA and muddle through. As usual, not one punter noticed. :)

I always have a pack of spare strings (ready trimmed to length!) on top of the amp for every single gig. I take a back-up bass to decent gigs because it obviously takes less time to plug in a replacement than faff around changing a string.

I've never ever had a failure or string breakage in hundreds of gigs. But my dad always says that there's a first time for everything!

Truckstop

Taking a spare bass means if a string breaks its just a case of putting it down and picking the other one up which takes seconds.

If you dont do that then thats you out for the rest of the song and then you're causing a delay and an awkward cease in the entertainment, I would find that really unprofessional whatever venue you're playing and I know the people paying you wouldnt be very impressed either...

My reasoning for taking a spare bass instead of changing a string mid set is as follows:

Firstly I detest dead space between songs. There should be enough of a pause for the audience to show their appreciation and for the singer to announce who we are/tell the audience how they can get hold of a recording of the song we've just played (or are about to play)/thank the audience for coming; and that is it.

Secondly while I know that I could change a string in the comfort of my own home with all the tools I need to hand in about a minute, I am also realistic enough to know that on a darkened stage with the pressure on to be up and running in the shortest possible time it is going to be a lot longer. Especially since my first action will most likely be to knock the spare packet of strings down behind my amp. Also when the average length of my band's songs is just over 2 minutes even a minute of dead time is too long.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1418209963' post='2627923']I'm surprised at the lack of broken strings on display in this topic. I tend to break an A or E string at least every dozen gigs or so. I do tend to dig in with a pick near the bridge, though.[/quote]

I've only ever broken a string back when I played mostly with a pick, usually the G but a D once. Back in the day when I didn't have spare cash for spare socks, let along strings. Playing a gig with a missing string was interesting.

Guest BeardyBob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1418215163' post='2628005']
There should be enough of a pause for the audience to show their appreciation and for the singer to announce who we are/tell the audience how they can get hold of a recording of the song we've just played
[/quote]

wow.

and again, wow.

insecure, much?

"WE, THE GREATER, HAVE COMPLETED A FINE RENDITION OF OUR MUSICAL ABILITY UNTO YOU, THE LESSER. LAVISH US WITH YOUR LOVE AND MONIES."

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418304359' post='2628960']
wow.

and again, wow.

insecure, much?

"WE, THE GREATER, HAVE COMPLETED A FINE RENDITION OF OUR MUSICAL ABILITY UNTO YOU, THE LESSER. LAVISH US WITH YOUR LOVE AND MONIES."
[/quote]

That's a bit of a harsh assessment.

We play in two different tunings, so I've always got another bass tuned slightly differently. Once in my long bass playing career, I broke a string and didn't have a spare and had to get a lift up the road to get one. I've always carried spare strings since then but never needed them. If you are really worried, have a spare !

wow.

and again, wow.

insecure, much?

[/quote]

Oh! I see the windup merchants back!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1418317465' post='2629139']
how on earth do people break Bass Guitar strings.???? are you pulling the strings off the fretboard. ? baffled on the technique people are using, to break a string on a bass. just how..?
[/quote]
It happens! Not very often I grant you (usually due to an old or damaged string) but when it does it's usually in front of the biggest audience you are likely to play in front of that year!

Guest BeardyBob

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418317199' post='2629136']
I read Big RedX's comment and thought that was bang on the money myself.
I fear you may have misinterpreted the comment.
If you've seen him in action, insecure is not he first word that would spring to mind!
[/quote]

oh dear. then it's as I feared. he's a smugger.

and my God... it's already spread to you.

smuggers are a rare breed, cleverly disguised as creatives.

cousin to the more common egosapians, both seek attention. remember: only smuggers truly believe they're owed it; the egosapian of course overcompensating for tiny, almost insignificant, genitalia.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1418325113' post='2629251']
This is an annoying thread as I had sold my "reserve" bass and after reading about various mishaps in here I'm now buying it back !

:drinks:
[/quote]

Depends on how much gigging you do. I think for the guys out there on the front lines and depend on the [i]"bread"[/i] it's just a good idea to always pack a spare. Hell, there are some groovy Squires ( not my cup of tea ) that would be just fine for some cats.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418326269' post='2629271']
Depends on how much gigging you do. I think for the guys out there on the front lines and depend on the [i]"bread"[/i] it's just a good idea to always pack a spare. Hell, there are some groovy Squires ( not my cup of tea ) that would be just fine for some cats.

Blue
[/quote]
Well I'm amateur but with my anxiety levels I need to cover all basses err bases!

Anyway it isn't an expensive bass and I like it :)

Edited by Pinball

wow.

and again, wow.

insecure, much?

[/quote]

I'd rather be thought of as being insecure, than so arrogant as to assume that the audience are going to tolerate or enjoy silence/the singer telling "jokes"/pointless "jams" by the other musicians while I fiddle about changing a string because I have come to the gig without a spare instrument.

Although I see you only quoted the part of my post that allowed you to make your "point".

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418324040' post='2629227']

cousin to the more common egosapians, both seek attention. remember: only smuggers truly believe they're owed it; the egosapian of course overcompensating for tiny, almost insignificant, genitalia.
[/quote]

I have no idea what this means. Would you care to explain for this of us who are less enlightened?

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418324040' post='2629227']

[/quote]
I have been a member of this site for (i think! ) four years ,the above is the worst example of obnoxious trolling I have seen ......either that or your sense of humour passes us all by!

I will not be taking any notice of any of your posts in future; i am sure that will have little effect on your massive ego.....I wonder what that is making up for;-)

I think it comes down to personal circumstances. Most of the gigs I do these days are the kind where somebody has paid a significant amount of dough to be entertained by professional musicians. If a piece of gear develops an issue, I don't want to be the guy holding up a dancefloor of wedding guests or cocking up a tightly scheduled corporate function while I bust out the toolkit and make a repair.. Makes the whole band look bad, kills any atmosphere you've managed to create and probably knocks you down the list of "people the bandleader is calling next time". This is my livelihood and I'm not about to be that guy that screws the gig, so I pack a spare every time. When I was touring playing noisy rock music and trying to "make it" back in my mis-spent youth I knew that we had to put on the best damn show we could in the 30 mins we were on stage, and I knew it wasn't unheard of for me to bust an E string every now and again, so I packed a spare every time. The only gigs I've really gone without one are little pub dep gigs close to home, where I'm in and out in a few hours for £50/60 and I travel as light as possible. On the whole, I think if you've got the means to transport one there then you should do. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a second hand Squier Affinity will get you through a gig if your main bass fails you, so long as the show goes on!