Why become a member? ×

Do I really need a spare bass...

Guest BeardyBob

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1418725714' post='2632633']
yes you do... you don't wanna be the one stuck on stage with a broken strings / none working bass....

end up being "that guy" and its basically the end
[/quote]

Erm, how does that mean you have to carry a spare head?

If I played with a pick in a loud, loud band, I'd consider a spare bass always...

Equally, on any massive gig or any pro tour (pffff! As if), then for sure.

But that's not my level, so I take strings, at least two spare leads (one 20-footer) and a preamp/DI stuffed in my amp carry box.

Haven't needed any of them in years, but IMO it pays to be on the slightly fanatical side about leads and jack sockets, which I am :unsure:

Edited by KK Jale

must say I'm surprised how many people don't take a spare, transport issues permitting, how much does a second hand squier cost? £100? It'll get you out the sh*t, and I have seen basses pack up at gigs, and guitars, it happened to our guitard, bad connection on his Gibson selector switch, and yes, he had a spare

After a DR A string went ping and I had to faff about re-stringing in a 40 minute set I always take a spare.
No crowd wants to hear me shouting '****ing hell' and watch me rummage around for 5 minutes.
Only time I take one now is if there's another 4 string right handed fretted player on the bill I know and we'll agree in advance to cover each other.