Why become a member? ×

Bouquet gear cash extraction.

spacey

The cash extraction fashion for what can only be described as [u][b]boutique [/b][/u]or designer equipment is in full swing at the present times.
Fancy "driver" pedals that are just re-hashed over drive/ distortion boxes, amps with tweed coverings that are still "just amps"
Bass cabs with speakers in wooden boxes that cost 5x what similar speakers in wooden boxes do with fancy Italian names that would be far better suited to a birds designer Italian Leather handbag.

They are either a lot of folk with far more money than sense trying to kid themselves it "sounds better" or bass players are losing a sense of value.
Most of it is churned straight out from Chinese assembly plants for pennies a go.
Anyone else find the Womans handbag craze thats applied to bass gear slightly bemusing.

Having seen a 2x12 cab for £1200 that is just two eminence (re-labelled) 12" £75 drivers in a plywood box, I must say, baffled who would fall for such obvious marketing ploys is my personal bemusement.
That and it has never even seen Italy in its life.
Handbags and glad-rags and bass gear....

PS : ruddy spell check app : title LOL...

Edited by spacey

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417868504' post='2624679']
The cash extraction fashion for what can only be described as boutique or designer equipment is in full swing at the present times.
Fancy "driver" pedals that are just re-hashed over drive/ distortion boxes, amps with tweed coverings that are still "just amps"
Bass cabs with speakers in wooden boxes that cost 5x what similar speakers in wooden boxes do with fancy Italian names that would be far better suited to a birds designer Italian Leather handbag.

They are either a lot of folk with far more money than sense trying to kid themselves it "sounds better" or bass players are losing a sense of value.
Most of it is churned straight out from Chinese assembly plants for pennies a go.
Anyone else find the Womans handbag craze thats applied to bass gear slightly bemusing.

Having seen a 2x12 cab for £1200 that is just two eminence (re-labelled) 12" £75 drivers in a plywood box, I must say, baffled who would fall for such obvious marketing ploys is my personal bemusement.
That and it has never even seen Italy in its life.
Handbags and glad-rags and bass gear....
[/quote]
*Shrug*
go make your own then, that's my plan.

Which cab are you talking about? Any of the neodymium Eminences cost more than £75. Crossovers, tweeters, midrange drivers, boxes and hardware all contribute to the cost too, then there's wages, overheads, shipping and taxes. I'm not convinced anyone is getting rich selling bass cabs, and they're probably not one of the more profitable lines for the big companies either.
If you'd like to tell us which is the "correct" gear to buy, I'm sure we'll be all ears...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417870071' post='2624703']
I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all, of course I took no notice and that's why I am disliked by anyone on here with a Ricky bass :D
[/quote]

Hmm, I wasn't going to mention the Ric! I like 'em myself and wouldn't say no to one, but they are a prime example of a premium priced luxury brand where prices are set according to demand and perceived prestige rather than by cost.

I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all, of course I took no notice and that's why I am disliked by anyone on here with a Ricky bass :D
[/quote]
I have a few Ricky basses, I like your posts, thats because Pete I am an adult who like discussing things with other adults without becoming childish.
I actually have a right chuckle at some stuff you post as well, a lot nearer the truth than some like, but it's still a good read.

[/quote]

Shut yer gob, you musicman faker :lol:

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417870497' post='2624709']
I have a few Ricky basses, I like your posts, thats because Pete I am an adult who like discussing things with other adults without becoming childish.
I actually have a right chuckle at some stuff you post as well, a lot nearer the truth than some like, but it's still a good read.
[/quote]

Deep down everyone knows I have a soft spot for Rickys and P basses but they just dont work in my hands really, still I do enjoy winding a few people up :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417875585' post='2624767']
I have to keep up the pretence even if I have not gigged an MM bass for weeks now ;)
[/quote]

Shut up, the EBMM Police are onto us...
(haven't played anything but my Precision for about 6 weeks now :lol:)

I wont tell if you dont....:D

I have said this before but I will say it again, one mans botique is another mans decent gear, one mans decent gear is another mans minimum level required to gig with etc etc etc, In reality we all know that a well set up bass for around say £300? plus a decent amp and a tuner is good enough for most gigs, personally I feel we are only here once so if that rare baby smurf skin gig bag for £1500 floats your boat I say grab it :)

Well if we're talking Rics. I love them, but having said that I have tried some of the later ones and I didn't like them as much as my main 4001.
I have three P bass. 2 Fender and an Antoria from the late 70's. I prefer the Antoria.
I have two Thunderbirds a Gibson and a Tokai, I prefer the Tokai.
I actually have too may basses but in the end I always go for the Ric it just fits me and is the best sounding bass in the world, REALLY :unsure:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417883586' post='2624861']
I wont tell if you dont.... :D

I have said this before but I will say it again, one mans botique is another mans decent gear, one mans decent gear is another mans minimum level required to gig with etc etc etc, In reality we all know that a well set up bass for around say £300? plus a decent amp and a tuner is good enough for most gigs, personally I feel we are only here once so if that rare baby smurf skin gig bag for £1500 floats your boat I say grab it :)
[/quote]

Smurfette is kinda cute though :secret:

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Smurfette_-27_zpsfeefb89a.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by gelfin