Why become a member? ×

Stylophone?

Viajero

When travelling, waiting for cast members etc, it's nice to do some transciption to keep the musical mind ticking over. I'm not great at it, but feel great when I get something written out all purdy-like.

Thing is, I don't have perfect pitch, so I need something to give me notes while I do it. The bass is ideal, but if I'm on a train it's no good. So, what can I carry around in my bag that will give me notes? Perhaps a Stylophone? You can pick them up for 15 quid or so, it seems. Does anyone know if they can do chords?

If, as I suspect, this idea is very flawed, can anyone suggest another small note-making device?

Guest BassKS

Oh yes,

The very gadget that made Rolf Harris a sex god among the female OAPs.

Thats not the reason why i got it though. Its an awesome piece of kit that can be used very well. I got mine for a tenner before soundcontrol closed.
Its monophonic and therefore you cant play chords...

with overdrive and a delay it sounds great...

Assuming you're not trying to do this standing up on a crowded commuter train and already have a laptop, software like [url="http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php"]Guitar Pro[/url] lets you build parts for one or more instruments, you can build parts using tab or standard notation, it will play back each note as you add it, will handle chords and will even show you where the notes are on a guitar/bass neck or keyboard. It's also quite cheap for what it does and you can save your work. Final clinching benefit, no Rolf Harris jokes from your fellow passengers. :)

Good shout on Guitar Pro, but I'm thinking of the lo-fi moments here.

[url="http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/stylophone/index.html"]These[/url] appear to have headphone out sockets AND input sockets for running your iPod in so you can play along. The more I look, the more I think it might be good. Combine it with a lovely Moleskine pocket sheet music book and you're away.

If I can get one in time for my trip to London tomorrow, I'll let you know how it is when I get back.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't locate one so far. You seem to get an octave and a half on the Stylo, but I fear it will be useless for hearing harmony.

I should dress in a 70s way, certainly. Perhaps I'll end up sitting next to an 80s guy with a huge ghetto blaster, and an alarm clock round his neck.

[quote name='Viajero' post='256320' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:38 PM']When travelling, waiting for cast members etc, it's nice to do some transciption to keep the musical mind ticking over. I'm not great at it, but feel great when I get something written out all purdy-like.

Thing is, I don't have perfect pitch, so I need something to give me notes while I do it. The bass is ideal, but if I'm on a train it's no good. So, what can I carry around in my bag that will give me notes? Perhaps a Stylophone? You can pick them up for 15 quid or so, it seems. Does anyone know if they can do chords?

If, as I suspect, this idea is very flawed, can anyone suggest another small note-making device?[/quote]

MB1. :)
A cashcard!....Sorry! i'll Get me Coat! :huh:

[quote name='cheddatom' post='256399' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:44 PM']Can't you get a mini 2 octave keyboard?[/quote]

There used to be a two (or three?) octave Stylophone back in the Rolf era.

I know cause I used to have one [i]'back in the day' [/i]and it was great fun!

I seem to remember that it had two playing styluses so must have been duophonic? (But I might be remembering it wrong!) And it was a lot more bulky than the usual model though.

I don't think it was available for very long too.

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='256621' date='Aug 6 2008, 07:10 PM']There used to be a two (or three?) octave Stylophone back in the Rolf era.

I know cause I used to have one [i]'back in the day' [/i]and it was great fun!

I seem to remember that it had two playing styluses so must have been duophonic? (But I might be remembering it wrong!) And it was a lot more bulky than the usual model though.

I don't think it was available for very long too.[/quote]

Just been on a trip down memory lane - well google anyway - only picture of the [b][i]350s[/i] [/b]'big one' I can find is on here. [url="http://www.stylophone.fsnet.co.uk/"]http://www.stylophone.fsnet.co.uk/[/url]

Two styli too - brain must still be working a bit then!

Isn't there one in 'Space Oddity' - 'Ground control to Major Tom' etc

Anyone ancient enough to remember those Wasp synths? Like a keyboard back scuttled a Stylophone and the Wasp was it's accidental love child.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Viajero' post='256507' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:26 PM']That's what I was thinking, but I can't locate one so far. You seem to get an octave and a half on the Stylo, but I fear it will be useless for hearing harmony.

I should dress in a 70s way, certainly. Perhaps I'll end up sitting next to an 80s guy with a huge ghetto blaster, and an alarm clock round his neck.[/quote]

If it's going on public transport, I can heartily recommend a battery-powered Theremin...

[quote name='Viajero' post='256320' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:38 PM']When travelling, waiting for cast members etc, it's nice to do some transciption to keep the musical mind ticking over. I'm not great at it, but feel great when I get something written out all purdy-like.

If, as I suspect, this idea is very flawed, can anyone suggest another small note-making device?[/quote]

Sorry mate, it can't do chords. Just got one for my birthday, realy enjoyed anoying every one with my Specials renditions on it!

Have you thought about an old Yamaha QY20?