Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball "Custom Shop"

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1418035198' post='2626082']
From [url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/22115-endorsements-2.html#post318556"]here[/url]

[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Interesting! Just as well - I was right. He didn't have the authority to command a custom bass :lol:

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1418002704' post='2625958']
Get the parts and do it yourself? It would take time to source it all but it'd be a lot cheaper in the long run?
[/quote]
Yes, I hear what you're saying, but it would probably take me more time than I can spare at the moment. Nice idea though.
That's the bit that I find annoying. EB are currently manufacturing (or have very recently manufactured) basses with all the parts I would need. It's just not possible to get a new bass with those bits.
[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1418006523' post='2625961']
I bite my thumb at theeeeee!!!
Anyway.... A MM configurator ike the Sandberg and Fender ones would be the greatest thing ever.
Obviously their current business model works but still, it's criminal that such a thing doesn't exist!
Getting to really customise my perfect Sabre or 'Ray would be effing fantastic :D
[/quote]
Configurator. Yes. That's exactly what EB need.
There is a [url="http://www.basscentral.com/pdimages/2014/BLOWUPS%202014/MUSICMANSTINGRAY4HWHITEPRLALLROSEWOOD92836.html"]rosewood necked 'Ray at Bass Central[/url]. I've never seen one like that before.
It can't be a one-off 'cos they don't do that sort of thing :D
[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1418022820' post='2625977']
Having met you twice, I can firmly confirm that you are not even close to being a prick, you're a top man with a huge passion for basses. It's easy for people to unfairly judge in forums, so they do. You wanted your dream bass, you didn't like their reasons, big deal, feel how you want to mate, who gives a toss what others chip in with.
[/quote]
Thanks mate. Is Paypal OK? ;)

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

I once emailed EB costserv asking if there was any hope of a fivestring roasted neck. Within 10 minutes there were two serious looking fellows in black suits and sunglasses at my door telling me to back the f**k off.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1418146091' post='2627363']
I once emailed EB costserv asking if there was any hope of a fivestring roasted neck. Within 10 minutes there were two serious looking fellows in black suits and sunglasses at my door telling me to back the f**k off.
[/quote]

+1

This is my experience, too. Dodgy company. AVOID111!!!11!ONE

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418146605' post='2627377']

+1

This is my experience, too. Dodgy company. AVOID111!!!11!ONE
[/quote]

I see - so you approach a company which does not sell large parts like bodies and necks (except by exchange) and then wonder why you get no as a answer?

You obviously don't know much about Musicman as they have recently produced a limited run with roasted maple necks available as 4, 5 or 6 string.

It sounds like there's a level of delusion in these posts!! Are you sure they werent men in White coats?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1418175096' post='2627747']
I see - so you approach a company which does not sell large parts like bodies and necks (except by exchange) and then wonder why you get no as a answer?

You obviously don't know much about Musicman as they have recently produced a limited run with roasted maple necks available as 4, 5 or 6 string.

It sounds like there's a level of delusion in these posts!! Are you sure they werent men in White coats?
[/quote]

Oh dear... apparently I didn't make it obvious enough that my previous post was satire. EBMM aren't a dodgy company at all. I agree with you - They don't advertise custom instruments, they've never said they'd make custom instruments, so why be upset when they tell you they can't make you a custom instrument?

[/quote]

easy tiger :lol:

I'm sure he was kidding. Don't take EBMM stuff so seriously :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418204344' post='2627851']
easy tiger :lol:

I'm sure he was kidding. Don't take EBMM stuff so seriously :P
[/quote]

I thought the "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]AVOID111!!!11!ONE" made it obvious enough :lol: Who'd have thought it? Usually I'm about as subtle as a brick :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Heh-heh-heh..."they're attacking the precioussssss...must defend...MUST DEFEND...!!!" :lol:

Edited by mickster

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418203885' post='2627846']
Oh dear... apparently I didn't make it obvious enough that my previous post was satire. EBMM aren't a dodgy company at all. I agree with you - They don't advertise custom instruments, they've never said they'd make custom instruments, so why be upset when they tell you they can't make you a custom instrument?
[/quote]
Ha ha. I did get it straight away, but then doubted that what you wrote was satire when I saw the reply.

No, EB are not dodgy at all IME, quite the opposite in fact and I would hate to give the impression that I am not in anyway satisfied with the Stingray's I own. I love them all and can't envision parting with any of them (apart from the fretless which was bought for a project and I have no further use for).

I know it's a slight play on words, but I do take issue with the "they don't make custom instruments, so why be upset when they say they won't make one" argument in this specific case. They do make them, but only when THEY want to make them! The spec I was after is completely stock apart from the gold hardware and matching headstock. No custom wiring, switching, size, weight or colours. I could order a Stingray without those two options tomorrow. I stand to be proved wrong, but I'll wager there is a gold hardware kit or two knocking around at EB somewhere and how much bother would it be to ask the paint team to spray a headstock white in exchange for a £2000 ish price tag. Seemed like a fair exchange to me. Their loss, not mine really.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418210171' post='2627926']
Ha ha. I did get it straight away, but then doubted that what you wrote was satire when I saw the reply.

No, EB are not dodgy at all IME, quite the opposite in fact and I would hate to give the impression that I am not in anyway satisfied with the Stingray's I own. I love them all and can't envision parting with any of them (apart from the fretless which was bought for a project and I have no further use for).

I know it's a slight play on words, but I do take issue with the "they don't make custom instruments, so why be upset when they say they won't make one" argument in this specific case. They do make them, but only when THEY want to make them! The spec I was after is completely stock apart from the gold hardware and matching headstock. No custom wiring, switching, size, weight or colours. I could order a Stingray without those two options tomorrow. I stand to be proved wrong, but I'll wager there is a gold hardware kit or two knocking around at EB somewhere and how much bother would it be to ask the paint team to spray a headstock white in exchange for a £2000 ish price tag. Seemed like a fair exchange to me. Their loss, not mine really.
[/quote]

I get that it's all standard hardware, but as it's not in production, a request for one would rightly be considered a custom order.

For example, if a customer asks me for specific set of strings that are in production, it's really easy to provide them with it. If they want to maybe have a set of their own that's got multiple different strings from multiple sets, that can be done as well, but it's a custom order. The components exist, just not in that specific arrangement, so it's a custom set.

I don't know why they wouldn't open a custom shop, however. It seems to be working for Fender. But the cold hard truth right now is that they don't have a custom shop, so if we want a custom MM, we either need to build one ourselves from salvaged parts, or ask a luthier to build a MM replica, but to your specifications.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418213696' post='2627985']
For example, if a customer asks me for specific set of strings that are in production, it's really easy to provide them with it. If they want to maybe have a set of their own that's got multiple different strings from multiple sets, that can be done as well, but it's a custom order. The components exist, just not in that specific arrangement, so it's a custom set.

I don't know why they wouldn't open a custom shop, however. It seems to be working for Fender. But the cold hard truth right now is that they don't have a custom shop, so if we want a custom MM, we either need to build one ourselves from salvaged parts, or ask a luthier to build a MM replica, but to your specifications.
[/quote]
Yes, I get that. The one thing I wasn't going to budge on though was the SLO neck and there are just so few of them about. I knew I would have to put an order in to get the colour I wanted. Having got that far, I couldn't help thinking about what would make it the perfect bass for me i.e. those couple of extras. It's all in pursuit of a particular upcoming project by the way and not just some flight of whimsy.

I don't get this. You don't want a SLO neck. You want a FAS neck! (Sorry for the bad pun. Couldn't resist.)
Other than that, I can somewhat understand that they don't wanna make you a bass like that. In every stage of the path from before the production until it's in your hands, it has to be treated and tracked as one special individual, which takes both time and an administrative system. Also, to keep a certain price level, often factories are dependent on making a certain amount of each and every possible configuration (though of course in exactly your case this is a somewhat moot point - but it still points at a reason for factories being generally reluctant).

Distributing kayaks in Norway, I've had some factories do custom orders for us, while others refused.
For me as an importer it has given great joy in the process with the custom-customer, whilst also being a pain in the butt especially on the occasions when something went wring (yes, something went wring when I wrote that), and the custom product suddenly had to be sold to someone else, this demanding the need for a new page to be made on the website specifically for it, whilst most of my customers would already know the regular offerings, and they would not even visit the website but just pick up the phone and ask for what they knew existed.
Also, in my personal experience, it's become a given that ANY custom order will be changed by the customer once every two weeks until the moment of production. Generally, it's a time thief of the first order.

Edited by BassTractor

You've got that "wring", I DID want an SLO neck and they're like feckin' hens teeth.

I don't think any of the stuff you've quoted should have been a concern. I knew the spec and was happy to pay for it, up front if need be, plus I would have been happy to lock myself into a "no changes" clause if required.

Aye. I understood that, and was just expressing one way to (partly) understand some factories' reluctance to enter the custom market altogether. Once they've made that decision they'll normally not engage in any discussion about the reasonability of SOME requests. For them, "no custom shop" then means "no custom shop".

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1418205574' post='2627868']

Heh-heh-heh..."they're attacking the precioussssss...must defend...MUST DEFEND...!!!" :lol:
[/quote]
No - not at all. What an inane assumption. However there are innocent young individuals who read this forum and may be influenced by such bo**ocks. Hence the response. Why don't you go and bomb a Fender thread instead?!!

I find it ironic that the very thing in the past I've found irritating on the EBMM forum (in jokes with no empathy with anyone but a few individuals) occurs here.

Sorry if I missed the joke - I must have led too sheltered a life 😁

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1418336241' post='2629407']
there are innocent young individuals who read this forum and may be influenced by such bo**ocks.
[/quote]

A lost cause, I'm afraid. :(

Amidst the thronging multitudes of paunchy, elderly BassChatters there may be a [i]few[/i] innocent young individuals*. But they'll have been exposed to so many bollocks-filled threads here that their world view is already irredeemably tainted.

And if - perhaps - the puir wee tots can be led to believe that Musicman production methods kill dolphins, well, it adds to the gaiety of nations.

[size=3]*The BassChat frequent user sub-group is about 85% men aged 45 years or older. Ironically, Milty is one of the increasingly rare 'young' BC-ers. Though he's not particularly innocent[/size]. [size=3]And he's not getting any younger.[/size]
[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar