Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball "Custom Shop"

I e-mailed EB asking whether I could get a Stingray commissioned with a specific set of options. None of them are custom, in fact they have offered them all over the years, just rarely on the same instrument. I received a nice e-mail back thanking me for being very understanding (which I'm not!) and informing me that they don't do that sort of thing. What a load of old tosh. Whatever happened to giving the customer what they want?

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

4H 3EQ Stingray
Pearl white body colour
White pearl scratch plate
Maple roasted neck
Matching headstock
Gold fittings
SLO neck profile

It would be similar to the very attractive looking example at Bass Direct, but with a maple board and an SLO neck.

Yes, it has been pointed out that I could buy that one and change the neck, but that doesn't really appeal somehow.

That example in Bass Direct looks like one of the PDN guilded limited edition classic basses that they brought out a couple of years ago. Active/passive built in. Nice looking bass and a good price as well.

See, not helpful at all!

I quote....

"We'd love to be able to make everyones' dream instrument, as it is our passion make tools for artists. Our instruments are available to order in hundreds of combinations, but we have to draw the line, somewhere - as each new combination requires a new build code, new part numbers, new bills of materials, new custom work orders, new production schedules, etc. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into creating on-of-a-kind instruments. While this might not be apparent, on the surface, we assure you that this policy was implemented for tremendously sound purposes."

All the more f**king irritating is the bewildering amount of differing specifications of a Stingray 4 available at Bass Central. Bearing in mind that I'm talking about only one model and looking at instruments available from one retailer, there is an astonishing amounts of variables going on there.

Would it not be better just to say "OK, we have these options available i.e. this, this and this etc. What do you want on yours?". It's not like I'm asking for diamonds position markers or kryptonite side lights FFS!

I find it quite odd that the one query with EB that I thought I was going to have a major problem with, which was getting a replacement serialized gold neck plate for my Stingray Anniversary 4HH as it had cracked (now sadly departed) was an absolute breeze. Now this for an instrument that doesn't even exist and is easily within their power to make.

Sounds more like a "Take what we give you and shut it" shop than custom shop,
and yeah your choices look like things i've seen on various options, surely they could just tag a certain body and a certain neck by the looks of one of their workshops on a video I saw recently.
Plus that finish i'm guessing is a solid colour so even the headstock shouldn't be an issue.

Seems profit and ease of running over customer satifisfaction for a custom shop to shy away from what sounds a pretty easy combination to get sorted, hell i'm guessing you'd be paying over what you'd pay if you lucked into finding that combo on a production version (I don't know that's even possible, obviously not cause you have to ask for custom).

Sorry 3am so I maybe rambling. o.O

Rambling? Not at all sir. I'm only here 'cos I was on nights and I can't get out of the bloody things. They don't get any easier the older you get!

You are spot on. That's the exact feeling I have after receiving the e-mails. I've sent another one back to them registering my disgust.

The main sticking point for me is that if I'm going weigh out for yet another Stingray, I do want the SLO neck this time (think Fender J). They are like f***ing hen's teeth. It seems you HAVE to order them and for the spec I would like, it would involve a "custom" order anyway. It's interesting that their reply uses the words "custom work orders" when they don't purport to manufacture them.

I'm at a loss with them. Customer desire doesn't seem to figure in their sales plan at all.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417663887' post='2622853']
Rambling? Not at all sir. I'm only here 'cos I was on nights and I can't get out of the bloody things. They don't get any easier the older you get!

You are spot on. That's the exact feeling I have after receiving the e-mails. I've sent another one back to them registering my disgust.

The main sticking point for me is that if I'm going weigh out for yet another Stingray, I do want the SLO neck this time (think Fender J). They are like f***ing hen's teeth. It seems you HAVE to order them and for the spec I would like, it would involve a "custom" order anyway. It's interesting that their reply uses the words "custom work orders" when they don't purport to manufacture them.

I'm at a loss with them. Customer desire doesn't seem to figure in their sales plan at all.
[/quote]

That seems even more confusing if the necks pretty common (Which is what i'm assuming you're meaning) why they can't for their custom work just get it roasted, pearl up the headstock, and get it done o.O

Unless their "custom" shop basses are produced alongside the main production ones... which then seems to defeat the point of a custom shop.

After playing an old housemates I think stingray i've got a slight hankering for one myself, But the frequency of purple ones turning up saves me from myself, and it sounds even their custom shop would be unwilling to just make sure I got a purple with black scratchplate with maple/maple neck... which i'm pretty sure is a rare production model anyways o.O .... Maybe i'll stick to warmoth.

It may be worth contacting Strings and Things and tell them you want to order a Stingray. Give them your options and leave them to it. I'm sure EB wouldn't blink an eye at an order coming through their UK distributer. What you're looking for isn't custom - rather a set of existing parts/colour options.

All of what you want is available to standard order EXCEPT the gold plumbing.

IIRC they have only offered this on certain runs like that white PDN stingray and a couple of runs for Guitar Centre (pace car blue and Indian ivory - both on certain configurations of SR4 and SR5).

My guess is that gold bits are uneconomic unless done in some sort of minimum quantity bulk run and this is probably the sticking point.

You could order the bass and get the bits gold plated by some aftermarket firm!!

Put this another way around, I once lusted after a new Fender Jazz in lake placid blue. I found that one the most ubiquitous basses in the business was available to buy in about four colours with precious little other option - despite the nice Fender catalogue of the day having a full page of colour chips including LPB. So I timidly asked whether I could order one - big sharp intake of breath - ooo no sir, not unless you're a very famous artist!!!! I later found out this was code for we're not a custom shop dealer and I'm buggered if im going to send you in their direction of there's a glimmer of chance I can twist your arm to buy a sunburst one. But what if I had found out the custom shop option? No doubt I could have ordered one but it would have cost an arm and a leg also - now that is what I really call crap with a capital C.

Anyway I digress - clearly unlike Fender who try to be all things to all people and fail abysmally a lot of the time, EBMM have carved out a market niche which is a different model and don't run a custom shop. A bummer if that's what you want but I sure know who I'd much rather deal with!!

As I said, you can always add bells and whistles later, a bit like LED markers etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417681126' post='2622903']
Exactly,I think you've answered your own question:D
[/quote]
Yeah, but come on. They are features that can be found on Stingray's quite easily, but not necessarily in the same place.
I could live without the roasted neck to be honest, but you try finding a white maple board SLO.
They would have to make it to order anyway and I really don't think the extra couple of details is asking too much.
Price was never discussed, not that they are going to get any more of my money anyway.
Fender, for all their faults, will actually build what you ask for.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417669192' post='2622857']
I think maybe my thread title was a little misleading. It was meant to be tongue in cheek as EB doesn't have a Custom Shop.
[/quote]

Oooh bugger my bad *facepalm*

As i say it was 3am so when I couldn't find info on it, I thought maybe i'm not looking in the right place.

Turns out I was being a dumbass :P

But hey that's usual...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417693471' post='2623071']

Yeah, but come on. They are features that can be found on Stingray's quite easily, but not necessarily in the same place.
I could live without the roasted neck to be honest, but you try finding a white maple board SLO.
They would have to make it to order anyway and I really don't think the extra couple of details is asking too much.
Price was never discussed, not that they are going to get any more of my money anyway.
Fender, for all their faults, will actually build what you ask for.
[/quote]

I don't think they've ever offered a bass with roasted maple neck and painted headstock. And the gold bits are pretty rare - just thought of another of those - 2006 limited edition - black with gold hardware!

Hiram K - my beef with Fender is they offer very limited colours on standard instruments so you have to go custom shop even for a sensible set of colour options (unless for instance you're willing to buy a Squier instead of s US standard to get the colour you want).

I guess you make your choice - mine usually falls with EBMM - largely cos I got the bug in 1979 and they've created GAS with me ever since. One day I might buy a CS or a vintage Fender, who knows.

I think part of the problem is that they have a huge collector base so letting people choose items from limited run models in their eyes could turn away someone that buys every limited edition model to please one person, I'm all for them doing custom orders but as they don't I wouldn't be to worried about them not building me a specific bass, I also still think the price point would be an issue too, if they said yes they will build it for £2750 would you have ordered it? That would still be less than a passive custom shop fender from what I've seen.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417716850' post='2623432']
I think part of the problem is that they have a huge collector base so letting people choose items from limited run models in their eyes could turn away someone that buys every limited edition model to please one person, I'm all for them doing custom orders but as they don't I wouldn't be to worried about them not building me a specific bass, I also still think the price point would be an issue too, if they said yes they will build it for £2750 would you have ordered it? That would still be less than a passive custom shop fender from what I've seen.
[/quote]
The price is a non issue really. It was never discussed anyway, but if they had quoted me a price and it was too much it would have been down to me to either go with it or walk away. I don't have a problem with that. When you look around, as I have been doing, it is staggering the amount of variables you can get on a Stingray. To fall back on the argument that it would be too much hassle to get the build codes together is ridiculous.

If luthiers like Sandberg can cope, I'm sure the mighty Ernie Ball could handle it

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1417734553' post='2623681']
Yet you're 'disgusted' that they won't make you a custom spec bass?!
Sorry, don't get it :)
Si
[/quote]
The point is that I have not asked for any individual spec that hasn't been done by EB before. It's not unique colouring or string spacing etc
I'm over it now. I was pretty pissed when I started the topic, but I have found an ideal replacement.