Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball "Custom Shop"

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1417666288' post='2622855']
After playing an old housemates I think stingray i've got a slight hankering for one myself, But the frequency of purple ones turning up saves me from myself, and it sounds even their custom shop would be unwilling to just make sure I got a purple with black scratchplate with maple/maple neck... which i'm pretty sure is a rare production model anyways o.O .... Maybe i'll stick to warmoth.
[/quote]

They may be less common than some colours - but they're out there!

[URL=http://s10.photobucket.com/user/scrapperstoo/media/guitars/IMG_20140820_221015_zps17e77d85.jpg.html][IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/scrapperstoo/guitars/IMG_20140820_221015_zps17e77d85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417663887' post='2622853']
It's interesting that their reply uses the words "custom work orders" when they don't purport to manufacture them.
[/quote]

Not for us, but I'd think that they use custom work orders for various other purposes, like endorsing artists who want something a bit unique. Or, making a small amount of a certain instrument as prototypes.

Just seems a strange place for such anger is all. EB don't have a custom shop, they don't build a bass with the specific set of specs the OP wanted, and the poor guy who read the return email from the OP had to take flak for not doing something that they don't advertise they do.

I emailed Lakland once politely asking if they were considering a Skyline version of the Decade Shortscale. When they replied 30mins later saying they weren't, I didn't reply with my 'disgust'.
They don't advertise it, why be angry that they won't accommodate it :)

Si

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1417977282' post='2625695']
I have never had a problem with how EB do things to be honest, I do appreciate the frustration from the OP though, as I have always wanted an all white ala Larry Graham style (board and all etc) Stingray, sadly no.
[/quote]

Change your name by deed poll to Larry Graham, phone 'em up and say 'Larry here. I need another one of them white jobs. Here's my new address to send it. Yes, Cheltenham's totally rad.'

Happy to help, no need to thank me. :)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1417975567' post='2625670']
Just seems a strange place for such anger is all. EB don't have a custom shop, they don't build a bass with the specific set of specs the OP wanted, and the poor guy who read the return email from the OP had to take flak for not doing something that they don't advertise they do.

I emailed Lakland once politely asking if they were considering a Skyline version of the Decade Shortscale. When they replied 30mins later saying they weren't, I didn't reply with my 'disgust'.
They don't advertise it, why be angry that they won't accommodate it :)

Si
[/quote]

I'm with you. EB 's email back was informative and polite. They don't offer the service you're after. No need for petulance, you asked, they politely said no.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417981377' post='2625732']
Even Larry didn't get a custom Ray, nor did Flea, closest I can think of is either the Tony Levin OLP or the Sledge limited editions.
[/quote]

I don't think Flea really had the authority to command a custom made bass when he was still playing MMs.

Are you talking about custom production? As in an instrument designed with an artist with the express intention of putting it into production? As I understand it, that's not a requirement for getting a custom instrument. Although it would appear that Fender or Gibson are more obliging when it comes to that.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1417987147' post='2625816']
I don't think Flea really had the authority to command a custom made bass when he was still playing MMs.
[/quote]

How so? Mr Flea is the very embodiment of authority.

[size=3][b]Flea to World[/b]: Behold my authority! Now someone do me a custom bass, pronto.[/size]

[size=3].[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1417987147' post='2625816']

Are you talking about custom production? As in an instrument designed with an artist with the express intention of putting it into production? As I understand it, that's not a requirement for getting a custom instrument. Although it would appear that Fender or Gibson are more obliging when it comes to that.
[/quote]

I thought the deal with flea was that he wanted a signature model stingray, but ebmm wouldn't do signature models for instruments that were already established, only for artist designed instruments that they thought would be popular enough to justify putting into production.

Obviously that was sterling's side of the story - don't think I've ever seen any mention of it directly from flea

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417990174' post='2625858']
I think the Modulus neck that he wanted was the problem more than anything, why they never reunited and put graphite necked rays with a choice of nut width options into production I'll never know?
[/quote]

Well he had already "moved on" from the MM a good while before he started using a Modulus. He played a Spector for a while, BSSM is mostly played on a Wal bass, I think Mother's Milk was played on an Alembic, which had a Modulus neck, I believe. So it seems a little odd that the Modulus neck was the deal-breaker when he didn't play a Modulus bass for a long time after switch from the MM as his main bass.

But I've never heard any stories about his getting a signature model from MM. What I meant with my earlier comment was that he didn't have the authority when starting with a MM bass to say "make me a signature model!". It seems he didn't really have any authority until the '90s, when he got a signature bass and signature strings.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1417989423' post='2625852']
How so? Mr Flea is the very embodiment of authority.

[size=3][b]Flea to World[/b]: Behold my authority! Now someone do me a custom bass, pronto.[/size]

[size=3].[/size]
[/quote]

I do love the irony in the fact that he's giving everyone the finger with "Love" tattooed on his hands :lol:

OK, I get the picture. I'm a complete prick for knowing exactly what I wanted, knowing it's within the EB's capability of manufacturing it, being prepared to pay a substantial amount of money for the "privilege" and having the hump with the condescending reply.

I apologise to anyone who was offended by that.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418001389' post='2625945']
OK, I get the picture. I'm a complete prick for knowing exactly what I wanted, knowing it's within the EB's capability of manufacturing it, being prepared to pay a substantial amount of money for the "privilege" and having the hump with the condescending reply.

[/quote]

Get the parts and do it yourself? It would take time to source it all but it'd be a lot cheaper in the long run?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418001389' post='2625945']I apologise to anyone who was offended by that.
[/quote]

I bite my thumb at theeeeee!!!

Anyway.... A MM configurator ike the Sandberg and Fender ones would be the greatest thing ever.
Obviously their current business model works but still, it's criminal that such a thing doesn't exist! Getting to really customise my perfect Sabre or 'Ray would be effing fantastic :D

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418001389' post='2625945']

[/quote]

Having met you twice, I can firmly confirm that you are not even close to being a prick, you're a top man with a huge passion for basses. It's easy for people to unfairly judge in forums, so they do. You wanted your dream bass, you didn't like their reasons, big deal, feel how you want to mate, who gives a toss what others chip in with.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1417666288' post='2622855'] But the frequency of purple ones turning up saves me from myself, and it sounds even their custom shop would be unwilling to just make sure I got a purple with black scratchplate with maple/maple neck... which i'm pretty sure is a rare production model anyways o.O ....[/quote]

Just gonna leave this here ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1417992125' post='2625874']
Well he had already "moved on" from the MM a good while before he started using a Modulus. He played a Spector for a while, BSSM is mostly played on a Wal bass, I think Mother's Milk was played on an Alembic, which had a Modulus neck, I believe. So it seems a little odd that the Modulus neck was the deal-breaker when he didn't play a Modulus bass for a long time after switch from the MM as his main bass.

But I've never heard any stories about his getting a signature model from MM. What I meant with my earlier comment was that he didn't have the authority when starting with a MM bass to say "make me a signature model!". It seems he didn't really have any authority until the '90s, when he got a signature bass and signature strings.
[/quote]

From [url=http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/22115-endorsements-2.html#post318556]here[/url]

[quote name='Sterling Ball']
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Flea was using the basses and really didnt have any direct connection with us. I invited him to slo to play in a The Mike Krukow Charity Golf Tournament ( former Cal Poly Alumni and Major League pitcher now broadcaster for the San Francisco Giants...has an orange axis) and he accepted. He showed up late barefoot and without a shirt golf clubs or balls. we got on pretty good. From there we supplied him with alot of basses and I hated ihis bass smashing phase. He left over money. He wanted a Flea signature Stingray and I said that wouldnt be right by Leo, Tony, Louis and all of the other stingray players. He said that his drummer was going to make a 100k from snare drum royalties and he wanted to make a cut on stingrays. I thought I had him calmed down but then I got wind of the Modulous deal and the last conversation was his atorney trying to tell me what I had to do and I said the only thing I really get to do is hang up on you....last contact. I wish that Flea and us could have split under better circumstances. I was right though[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The funny story about Flea is that I asked him to do an ad for Slinky Bass strings that had just come out. he had the strings claimed to like them and I had a wacky shot of him and it said "Flea's Gone Slinky" The ad came out and Flea said GHS called and was bummed and he didnt know he was doing a string ad.....[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3][/quote][/size][/font][/color]