Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1318753497' post='1405722']
Bought a Pro last summer and just had it defretted...
Not the best clip (it sounds more boomy in my new house) but it gives an impression..
It's a rather "limited" bass (just volume and tone and a switch) but it delivers the sort of sound I'm after..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUGf3GFKFs&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

Thats a great job with the neck, sounds lovely too! Is that a passive? If so BIG sound.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1316962135' post='1384853']
If there was anyone out there with a 5 string fretless who would like to trade I would love to discuss...

[/quote]

I've got an 89 mk11 walnut 5 unlined ebony fretless that I might consider trading for a four.

Edited by Mr Bassman

Hey all,
I ordered my Wal just under 13 months ago, and here it is:

It's a lined fretless MK I with a custom neck (39.7mm nut width and a C neck shape), it has side dots and fret dots that are both made of Mother of Pearl.
Body: Brazilian Mahogany core with American Walnut facings (and the thin Canadian Rock Maple veneer).
Neck: Canadian Rock Maple with Brazilian Mahogany strips and an African Macassar Ebony fingerboard.

[quote name='Laurence' timestamp='1322241438' post='1448567']
Hey all,
I ordered my Wal just under 13 months ago, and here it is:

It's a lined fretless MK I with a custom neck (39.7mm nut width and a C neck shape), it has side dots and fret dots that are both made of Mother of Pearl.
Body: Brazilian Mahogany core with American Walnut facings (and the thin Canadian Rock Maple veneer).
Neck: Canadian Rock Maple with Brazilian Mahogany strips and an African Macassar Ebony fingerboard.
[/quote]

Love the grain..the matched Walnut really stands out...looks great

[quote name='Heartbreaker' timestamp='1323027620' post='1458460']
My 82 Wal, didn't get on with the tones & it was very heavy. Unique colour though, like Marmite I guess.
[attachment=94481:Wal 81 2.JPG][attachment=94482:Wal 81 1.JPG]
[/quote]

Good grief. Great colour for Norwich supporters (there are some here).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Heartbreaker' timestamp='1323027620' post='1458460']
My 82 Wal, didn't get on with the tones & it was very heavy. Unique colour though, like Marmite I guess.
[attachment=94481:Wal 81 2.JPG][attachment=94482:Wal 81 1.JPG]
[/quote]

Love it. Would have had it in a heartbeat! Where did it go?

Hi all BCers,

I received an email fm Paul with attached pics of the available tops, and as stated by him my bass' ETD will be mid Jan - early Feb.....
I was watching other new Wals pictures, and the last two basses spotted did not have the string retainer on the headstock; was it a customer's request or is it one of the "improvements" being made by Paul work in progress?

Thanks,

M.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this one in the early - mid 80's. Action to die for and knobs that actually went to 11.
Lovely to play and record with, but I couldn't get it to sound ballsy, no matter what I did with it.
Ended up selling it, as I bought a Fender Precision Lyte that outperformed it.

Edited by 12stringbassist

This 1981 'transition' (PB serial number but early Mk 1, like Mick Karn's) fretless beauty should be with me by the weekend or early next week :)

[attachment=96446:02fullfretless.JPG]
[attachment=96447:03frontfretless.jpg]
[attachment=96448:Wal in case.JPG]

[quote name='MC1970' timestamp='1324544563' post='1475310']
Hi all BCers,

I received an email fm Paul with attached pics of the available tops, and as stated by him my bass' ETD will be mid Jan - early Feb.....
I was watching other new Wals pictures, and the last two basses spotted did not have the string retainer on the headstock; was it a customer's request or is it one of the "improvements" being made by Paul work in progress?

Thanks,

M.
[/quote]

Hi,

The String retainer is just not installed yet. They all come with a string retainer!
Cheers,
Ron

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1325887176' post='1489565']
That's a peach Clarky! I may be trading my fretted Custom for a fretless very soon!
[/quote]

And he did.. Got a Wal MKI Custom bass which appears to be made around 81-82 and was a custom model made for Roxy Music bassplayer Gary Tibbs if I remember correctly..?
Bit of dings and dongs but it sounds great and it has all the nice Wal-ingredients.

i saw you play that bass (before the body refit) at Southampton University many years ago with Stump. It sounded fantastic. Your approach to bass playing was like no one else and I liked that a lot. I seem to remember we had a drunken conversation in the bar afterwards too!