Why become a member? ×

Precision v Jazz?

Steve48

[quote name='Steve48' timestamp='1416089250' post='2606856']
Hi guys,
I guess this has been asked numerous times. What is the difference between these two bases. I don't just mean pickups etc.. I want to know all views before I start looking.
Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Yes, it has. A read through past topics will be very instructive. Still, apart from p/ups, I'm tempted to ask "Which 'P'..?" and "Which 'J'..?". There has been constant evolution of these models since their release, plus the 'mongrels' which shared features of both. Do you mean purely Fenders, or are Squiers included..? What about copies, or boutique versions..? The question is a bit vague, I fear. No, your best bet is to look through the present posts on the subject first, then ask anything more specific. I could be wrong...

[quote name='Steve48' timestamp='1416089250' post='2606856']
Hi guys,
I guess this has been asked numerous times. What is the difference between these two bases. I don't just mean pickups etc.. I want to know all views before I start looking.
Thanks in advance.
[/quote]it has been asked many times, but your lucky your not on Talk Bass.your in god hands. sorry i meant good's hands.

Precision vs Jazz

Well there's only one way to find out.

FIGHT!!!!.

I like them both. However i find the jazz much easier to play. Even though there is only a few mm difference in neck width it makes a lot of difference. Some do prefer the larger neck. So really you need to try them both. However if you can't try them out, i would probably say get the jazz due to the thinner neck. And dare i say more possible variation in tone (runs and hides).

They're both popular tools with their own set of strengths and weaknesses . . . as designs, but what's a strength or a weakness depends on what you want.

There are too many variants and copies made by more than half of electric bass manufacturers to cover them all in a single thread.

I can only echo the above posters: Try some, listen to some online (both being played on their own & in a group).
You will probably develop a preference. Or you may feel you need both :P . Consider a PJ pickup model if you can't decide between P or J styles. Also keep your eyes peeled for other options.

Buy one of each and play whichever suits your mood, that was my personal answer to this conundrum. The sound is quite different between them but the two volumes for the pups on the Jazz maybe allows a little more variation in the sound compared to the P. Sometimes I like the P sound more, sometimes the J sound, depends on my mood. A J with standard pups will buzz a little though.

Cheers,
Rich

Am I the only one here who finds a PJ combination unsatisfactory? I tried to convince myself it was the best of both worlds, because I couldn't decide between the two, but in the end went the same way as Diablo and bought both. I just found that the PJs I tried couldn't match the best of either, but maybe there are other better versions out there that can.

Edited by edpirie