Why become a member? ×

The Alternative Rock Factfile. It's Back for a Christmas Edition!

yorks5stringer

HELP NEEDED. Thought I'd ask here first.

Does anybody know why Steve Marriott, Kenney Jones, Ronnie Lane and Jimmy Winston decided to call themselves the Small faces? as the average male face width is between 12.8 and 13.2 cms and all four of theirs fall within these parameters. I had previously thought that they may have had some teenage friends with much larger faces thus meaning that their faces were indeed "smaller" but on investigation, this has not turned out to be the case!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1442923177' post='2870524']

Does anybody know why Steve Marriott, Kenney Jones, Ronnie Lane and Jimmy Winston decided to call themselves the Small faces? as the average male face width is between 12.8 and 13.2 cms and all four of theirs fall within these parameters. I had previously thought that they may have had some teenage friends with much larger faces thus meaning that their faces were indeed "smaller" but on investigation, this has not turned out to be the case!
[/quote]

Band names can be deceptive. For instance, all the "Fine Young Cannibals" were actually Vegan

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1442935969' post='2870747']
Band names can be deceptive. For instance, all the "Fine Young Cannibals" were actually Vegan
[/quote]

Bugger! The fine young cannibals are coming round to dinner tonight and I've made a beef casserole :(

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1442923177' post='2870524']

[/quote]

A 'Face' could have been construed, back then, as a celebrity, or person of note; the folks cited were simply somewhat modest.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1442936264' post='2870752']
A 'Face' could have been construed, back then, as a celebrity, or person of note; the folks cited were simply somewhat modest.
[/quote]

I'm guessing you were not originally from London Dad, as a "face", when I were a lad, was someone of dubious character and reputation that you usually avoided.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1442957307' post='2870997']
I'm guessing you were not originally from London Dad, as a "face", when I were a lad, was someone of dubious character and reputation that you usually avoided.
[/quote]

The part of London I was from (Bedfont-Feltham-Hounslow...), the celebrities and persons of note were, [i]indeed[/i], of dubious character and reputation, best avoided. I'm no longer based there, but suspect that little has changed in that respect. :mellow:

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1443001638' post='2871254']
U2 fans are eagerly awaiting a reissue of the single Vertigo featuring the late Dizzy Gillespie!!
[/quote]
No doubt issued on the Vertigo label, I thought they only did prog rock, so their standards have gone down real bad by issuing U2 singles.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1442936264' post='2870752']
[/quote]

They were actually trying to make themselves appear as insignificant and unthreatening as possible, due to the rise in facism.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1443373412' post='2874202']
The Crash Test Dummies don't own cars, due to the exorbitant motor insurance premiums.
[/quote]
Mmmmmmmm, are you sure?

Edited by ubit