Why become a member? ×

Is the Fender Custom Shop worth it?

JamesBass

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1415184718' post='2597488']
Not anymore they won't. If you want it with Fender on the headstock, I think you have to do your own now..
[/quote]

Really? That's big news to me, and I was very close to ordering one (emails exchanged & everything!).....

I have a CS and an original Jazz. I think it's like everything really, there are both good and bad of each.

Probably my favourite two CS basses were from the very early Vince Cunetto era. An Olympic white one definitely gave my 63 a good run for its money.

CS seem to be a lot more consistent these days but I'd be sure to try before you buy.

Of the replicas I've owned a couple of Nash basses but they didn't really do it for me :(

Nothing intrinsically 'wrong' with them but I couldn't get past the 'fake' Fender logos on the headstock (which I know makes me very shallow!) plus they also had very club-like necks.

I'll add that I've played a few Fender Custom Shop instruments but haven't been bowled over by any in terms of playability and tone, although they've looked great. Quite honestly (and I realise this may sound ridiculous), I prefer the sound, if not the build quality, of my Korean Squier, which is one of the things that worries me about buying another F-type instrument sight unseen..

Now if I could just snaffle that refin-d genuine '65 P in the Gallery I'd be a happy man.....

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1415184461' post='2597484']
There is some slating of Fender on BC, the big boys always get that. Considering how many pros use then they must be really bad....

I love the CS basses, quarter sawn necks, excellent woods and great pickups. Plus they look very cool, and unlike other makes, can actually resemble a vintage Fender, rather then a 'reliced guitar'.

Of course, like any make, you sometimes get the odd duff one. But rarely.

By the way, that 66 you liked used to be mine, and is now for sake on this forum!
[/quote]
Not sure its the same one? The one I played was in No Tom Guitars in Denmark Street and was up for £5995! Played superb!

I get where people are saying it's hard to compare custom shop to a Limelight, but what else is on off along the same lines? I'd love to own a custom shop bass, but I'd want to feel really involved with it for the price ie; going in to the shop helping choose my woods etc etc. To pay that much and do the order via email or phone just seems a bit of a cop out in a way!

What are people's experiences of the AVRI P's?

As with any bass manufacturer the CS make good ones and, er, not so good ones.
The usual advice of 'try before you buy' to make sure it is the one for you is just a prevalent. This gets murky when there's not too many about and the situation where you have to order the bass blind.

All IME/IMO of course and YMMV

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1415196201' post='2597729']
Not sure its the same one? The one I played was in No Tom Guitars in Denmark Street and was up for £5995! Played superb!

I get where people are saying it's hard to compare custom shop to a Limelight, but what else is on off along the same lines? I'd love to own a custom shop bass, but I'd want to feel really involved with it for the price ie; going in to the shop helping choose my woods etc etc. To pay that much and do the order via email or phone just seems a bit of a cop out in a way!

[/quote]

I played an AVRI P a few months back and didn't like it. I played a couple of '70s Ps alongside it and for me it didn't come close; in fact again I preferred my bass and a Squier CV60s I played. I'm sure they'll all be different though, and YMMV; depends on your preferences.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415196405' post='2597731']
I think you and I are looking for the same thing...
[/quote]

Maybe I'll buy just save a few quid and buy another 5er.

The werid thing I find is that Fender don't offer a proper 6 given the vast range of basses they offer now at many different price points as well. It's like they have a bass covering all the... bases... apart from a 6.

If you want a functional instrument rather than a collectors piece and don't care about the relicing, at least try a Squier CV - Squiers have the big advantage that it's fairly easy to try multiples of the same model and pick the best one. Even the most basic Squiers are pretty good nowadays.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248523-squier-affinity-p-bass-vs-fender-custom-shop-pino-palladino-p-bass/

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1415193149' post='2597653']
Sorry Dan, I came across as an arrogant tosspot. Which I am :blush:

I'm just using any tactic to avoid finishing my year end accounts, to stave off the tears a little longer :lol:
[/quote] Not at all mate! :happy: Yep I'm 'working from home' today. Got some good practice in at least

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1415196201' post='2597729']

[/quote]

Yeah, same one I knew anyway but also checked the serial number! I was pleased to see it there, though the price was a bit keen. Great shop No Tom though.

The AVRI's are quite nice, better than the USA std in my opinion but still not as good as CS. The new prices of the AVRI are the same as 2nd hand Custom Shops (er, check the link in my signature :gas: )

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1415204839' post='2597879']

Yeah, same one I knew anyway but also checked the serial number! I was pleased to see it there, though the price was a bit keen. Great shop No Tom though.

The AVRI's are quite nice, better than the USA std in my opinion but still not as good as CS. The new prices of the AVRI are the same as 2nd hand Custom Shops (er, check the link in my signature :gas: )
[/quote]
How strange! Wish I had the money to just get the 66! It was phenomenal! Best bass I've ever played! Hands down!

I've played one of the AVRI and found the finish poor, and the tone way too middy and clanky, not the smooth articulation I expect from a 60s era P bass!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1415214587' post='2598027']

How strange! Wish I had the money to just get the 66! It was phenomenal! Best bass I've ever played! Hands down!

I've played one of the AVRI and found the finish poor, and the tone way too middy and clanky, not the smooth articulation I expect from a 60s era P bass!
[/quote]

Yeah, it really was a good one.

You're right about the AVRI, they are good basses but don't have the real vintage vibe. Nothing can replace a vintage sound , mostly as the pickup magnets are older. But the CS basses do a blooming good job.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1415212589' post='2597998']
My opinion on Fenders, from £300 second hand Mexican models right up to the Custom Shop models, is that you have to try the actual bass you are thinking about buying. There are absolute gems and absolute dogs at every price point.
[/quote]

Yep, I've owned six CS models and numerous recent MIA AV, MIJ etc as well as three pre- CBS and several 60's and 70's Fenders. The variability is huge and indicative of consistently awful QC. Only way to buy a Fender is to play it first. A custom order from CS is to my mind nothing more than a foolish gamble.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1415223741' post='2598216']
So what alternative is there to a Fender Custom Shop if you want a period correct bass? I know of Limelight but what else is on off short of buying an actual 60s bass?
[/quote]
Depends what you mean by period correct. With a few exceptions Fender basses really haven't evolved much in 50 years and those that have tend to be the less sought after examples. MIJ '62 RIs tend to be a good bet although prices are going up rapidly

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1415224593' post='2598229']
Depends what you mean by period correct. With a few exceptions Fender basses really haven't evolved much in 50 years and those that have tend to be the less sought after examples. MIJ '62 RIs tend to be a good bet although prices are going up rapidly
[/quote]
The feel and tone really, aesthetically you can do what you please and I appreciate that, but for some reason the 66 I played felt like no other Fender I've ever played, and the tone was spot on, granted it was through a B15 but the bass was eminently responsive in all aspects.

The only CS model I`ve played was a Pino Palladino Signature. Easily the best Precision I`ve played. The second best was a Road Worn Precision. The PP costs 3 times as much as the RW yet I wouldn`t put it at 3 times better. But it did still have that certain "something" about it.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1415230175' post='2598317']
I like Fender. Quite a lot actually. I am, however, quite realistic in that I acknowledge they are not the be all and end all of P and J style basses.

I don't necessarily agree with this point of view. I did have a slight hiccup with my Geddy Lee CS which was documented, but GAK bent over backwards to assist and in the end it wasn't necessary for me part with it even temporarily. All the CS's I have are astonishly good and I've played a good few to know the difference. Horses for courses really. I understand that price is a factor and a CS may not be within everyone's budget, so they go for an alternative. Completely understandable. For me though, the J and P shape are iconically Fender and if I'm going to buy one it may as well be manufactured by them. I still have yet to find anything even remotely in the ball park of the Dusty Hill CS. P body with a J neck through a single custom wound pick-up. It makes me smile every time I pick it up.

[/quote]

Gimme da Dusty :ph34r: :lol:

Pardon my ignorance in this respect, but as CS basses still 'mass produced' on a much smaller scale, as in CNC machines etc., or are they hand made in the same way they would be from our band of home-grown luthiers?