Why become a member? ×

Made in China

TheGreek

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1412970539' post='2573831']
I try really hard not to buy anything made in China. I'm sure they can make things well but I have way too many issues with China (human rights issues, animal welfare etc etc etc) to want to support their economy.
[/quote]
Does that mean you do buy some things made in China?

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1412970539' post='2573831']
I try really hard not to buy anything made in China. I'm sure they can make things well but I have way too many issues with China (human rights issues, animal welfare etc etc etc) to want to support their economy.
[/quote]

Entirely fair opinion, IMV.
Difficult to do... if applied across the board, but at least you can try.

I've just come back from China and apart from amazing rudeness, totally absent health and safety, filthy toilets and a Government that censors all news, this time of the HK protests and then puts out it's own lies, it's apparent that China can do anything, from sending a man into space to cheap plastic toys.

Where Made In China gets a bad rap is when the commissioning company cuts corners, budget and QC.

There are a million high class Chinese made products out there, from PJB to Lenovo. They can do what ever they are paid and required to do. Don't blame them for greedy western companies.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1413022937' post='2574213']
... Lenovo ...
[/quote]
... and don't Lenovo own IBM now?

EDIT: Just checked that and the answer is no but 'In September 2014, it was announced that IBM would sell its x86 server division to Lenovo for a fee of $2.1 billion.'

Edited by EssentialTension

Most peoples rose tinted specs about 60s cars are based on them as old bangers from their youth rather than when they were new cars, I always run old cars without any problems, a few modern tweeks like elctronic ignition saves me altering the timing and cleaning points etc and modern oils last better, other than that they are good to go :)

I'd have a modern Chinese bass or Car though and certainly I would rather have a Chinese car than a French car :D

What you get from China is very simple. Value for money. Of course there are production problems - the materials may be poorer. Chinese alloys can corrode quite badly. Some sheet material is very soft compared to a US or UK version. People do not build them, they assemble them and probably do not even know what they are making - so soldering is variable, occasional dry joints, poorly centred screws - that kind of thing. I had a guitar with a bolt on neck, that had used the wrong screws and arrived with a detached neck - the screws were 10mm too short!

I've had great success with their kit - the products do the job very well - there's the occasional snag, but I can live with that!

I don't have a problem with Chinese made instruments. They are making some very nice products.
It was only a few years ago that people used to be very disparaging about Korean made instruments, and now
they are becoming quite expensive and highly thought of. The same thing happened with Japan 20-30 years ago.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1413022937' post='2574213']
Where Made In China gets a bad rap is when the commissioning company cuts corners, budget and QC.
[/quote]

Makes sense. "China" is a huge place and a massive economy and I'd expect the whole range of product quality from crap to excellence, much like any other country really.

After all, if the generally well-respected British hi-fi industry was only judged on, say, Amstrad products . . . .

• 1 month later...

I have a Chinese Fender guitar. Easily as nice as instruments costing 3 times as much. Would I swap the pickups in it? Perhaps, but I might do that with any number of instruments. As long as the commissioning company get the spec right, someone operating a CNC machine in one country is much the same as someone operating it in another.

I would love a crack at the yellow neck through in the first link of the 3 from the OP.

The whole made in China discussion could go on forever. For me, I wanted a Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass, a Gibson ES-335 Bass and a Gibson Thunderbird so that's what I purchased. I have no idea how the Epiphones stack up. I'm pretty superficial and prefer to be on stage with the real deals.

I do play a couple of MIJ Fender Tele Basses and I love them and think they are just as good if not better than the American Standards. I do not like the necks on Fenders MIM bass guitars.

Blue

Edited by blue

The benefit of moving manufacture to Asia is cheap labour costs. Some companies want to skimp on other costs so the quality and reliability of the product can suffer. The Chinese can build anything you want, but don't blame them if there are problems that get to market.

Blame the commissioning company. And those guys are invariably Western.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1412757606' post='2571593']
I would. Seriously. Cars are a very good example of how mass production using high precision machinery can create far higher and consistent quality goods than anything hand made.
[/quote]

And yet some people go on about their hand built basses are, and sneer at CNC machine produced basses, when the CNC machine will work to far higher tolerances than a man ever could.

I, to my shame, have a load of kit, all seemingly made in China. It all worked faultlessly from initial switch on, and continues so to do....my 'orribly expensive British-made kit on the other hand....one amp has been with my tech for months, and the others are waiting their turn....it's a bit like owning an Aston, you get a nice warm glow out of the visuals, but you have to put up with the grief and that cold chill in your wallet...............
:unsure: