Why become a member? ×

Rory Gallagher Article

madshadows

A great read for any Rory fan :)

The Irish Tour 74 special box set looks great :)

[url="http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/rory-gallaghers-irish-tour-in-1974-was-the-stuff-of-legend-289670.html"]http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/rory-gallaghers-irish-tour-in-1974-was-the-stuff-of-legend-289670.html[/url]

John

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1412332807' post='2567879']
I don't like special edition box sets as a rule.

But I really want that one now. :)
[/quote]

+1000 :)

Will I make you sick if I tell you I was at the Dublin gig?

What a hero, although don't let anyone tell you hewas from Cork. They stole him from Donegal. :D

Saw him many years ago at St Albans arena...one of the few guiitarists I can actually listen to. I bought the Album in mint condition from one of Hatfield's many charity shops for 50p way back when and the CD in Tesco last year for £3.

Here's the whole of the Irish Tour 74.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpQdKzq29W8&list=PLIzVtYENBfYpJVYIAQPLJs15XkktuDoSI&index=1"]http://www.youtube....ktuDoSI&index=1[/url]

Edited by TheGreek

Rory was a monster, I don't think any player ever hit their guitar with as much passion night after night as him, pretty much always on when live, and Gerry is one great bass guitarist to boot, always entertaining, nice article cheers for sharing and the box set is in my amazon basket already. :)

Rory was exceptional. Played the blues because he had no choice. It was in there and had to come out. Gerry Mcavoy and the succession of excellent Drummers that accompanied Gallagher, provided an excellent foundation for Rory to express himself.
I attended a number of Rory's gigs back in the day and what is worthy of mention is that when Rory switched to acoustic guitar or mandolin, the level of intensity of the performance never dropped. Rory still had the audience in the palm of his hands.
He always appeared genuinely humble that punters would always come to see him and thanked the audience at every opportunity. He appeared to be shy of the commercial side of the music business in order to stick to his craft.
Together with his guitar skills, Rory's vocal was an integral part of his overall sound.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1412334315' post='2567902']
+1000 :)

What a hero, although don't let anyone tell you hewas from Cork. They stole him from Donegal. :D
[/quote]

....and he spent a few years growing up in Derry as well, although the street has apparently been demolished now. I was there talking to a guy a few weeks back, and was saying how the city likes to claim it's little bit of Rory as well. I was actually wearing my RG t-shirt!

Never got to see him - age-wise, kind of just missed out - by I'm a huge fan, and any new product is always welcome.

I wish he was still here to share the love he justifiably receives. :(

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

I'm just a bit young to have really caught him, but a (blinding!!) guitarist I was in a band with years back (who was 10 years my senior) openly admitted to nicking EVERYTHING he played from Rory.. thus making me check him out.
Years later I shared a house with (amongst other people) a lad (10 years my junior) from (what he referred to as) The Peoples Republic of Cork. When he found out I was a Rory fan he hugged me like a long lost brother and said ; "You know he's from Cork??" hahahahahahahha