Why become a member? ×

New Fender Adam Clayton and Dee Dee Ramone Signatures

NJE

C'mon guys... Less hate and more love for Mr. Clayton.

The guy is in U2 and maybe he is not the "best" player out there, but what the band have achieved in the last 30 years is undeniable.

Regarding the bass... well, it is just another Jazz Bass in a uncommon colour and with lollipop tuners linked to a fancy name/band for sales hype.

Personally, the best Signature JB's Fender have brought out are the Reggie Hamilton JB, Marcus Miller JB, Roscoe Beck JB and Geddy Lee JB.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a single person who has gone out of their way to have a little bitch about Adam Clayton on here who can lay claim to responsibility to a more universally recognised bass line than With or Without You?

In four notes, he's achieved more than most ever will, myself included.

When people have a go at him, it very often smacks of bitterness, jealousy and/or a sense of their own superiority. His name only has to be mentioned and the same tired old trolls can't wait to spew their bile everywhere.

When people bang on about him playing root notes, it's clear they just haven't listened to a lot of U2's output, and if they don't like U2 that's fair enough, but it just serves to make their opinion even more irrelevant.

Edited by P-T-P

That might be so but I still see no reason for this signature bass, he has used every brand going, its not as if anyone would say ooh thats a AC bass before this model came out in the same way everyone knows what a Brian May guitar is.

You are welcome to have a dig as an AC fan but it still wont make me like him, judging ability by success is for primary school children imo ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418237334' post='2628354']
That might be so but I still see no reason for this signature bass, he has used every brand going, its not as if anyone would say ooh thats a AC bass before this model came out in the same way everyone knows what a Brian May guitar is.

You are welcome to have a dig as an AC fan but it still wont make me like him, judging ability by success is for primary school children imo ;)
[/quote]

I agree almost entirely on the signature guitar issue. If it's truly a unique instrument associated with an artist, as you say, like Brian May, then there's total sense in it, otherwise it's more a special run that happens to have had someone famous pick the specs.

On your second point, nobody has to like him, but a quick search on these forums will reveal that there are plenty of people who can't wait to point how much they dislike him and/or to have a go at his ability. In fairness to me, I'm not judging his ability by success, I'm judging the impact that his playing, in that one song had.

It's the fact that anyone feels the need to judge his (or anyone else's) ability at all which I can't get my head around. Especially when they're either wilfully ignoring or are unaware of tracks where he has shown he can do more than just pump out the eighth notes.

[quote name='P-T-P' timestamp='1418303707' post='2628953']
It's the fact that anyone feels the need to judge his (or anyone else's) ability at all which I can't get my head around. Especially when they're either wilfully ignoring or are unaware of tracks where he has shown he can do more than just pump out the eighth notes.
[/quote]

New Years Day for example, awesome bassline.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418306847' post='2628992']
The good basslines might be written and recorded by the edge.....or bono...or Larry :lol:
[/quote]

Re the above, I really hope not Pete, lets hope AC did it all himself.

Two Hearts Beat As One
Stories For Boys
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Ocean
With A Shout
Wire
Last Night On Earth

If you're after Stanley Clarke then clearly don't bother, but riffs to power the biggest band in the world are not to be sniffed at

You all have Spotify right?

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1418558054' post='2631111']
I dare say that the Ramones influenced far more bands than U2.
[/quote]

The Ramones were a major influence on U2 so if there's any kind of inherited influence in effect, then that's a fair statement for sure.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1418676728' post='2632301']
I'm just glad I bought the Fender Sherwood Green Jazz Bass.

[/quote]
I dont blame you as much as AC doesn't float my boat that Jazz is really nice :D , I dont suppose they do a 5 string version do they? Before someone says thats a dig at AC the Marcus Miller comes in both doesn't it?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418678076' post='2632319']
I dont blame you as much as AC doesn't float my boat that Jazz is really nice :D , I dont suppose they do a 5 string version do they? Before someone says thats a dig at AC the Marcus Miller comes in both doesn't it?
[/quote]

I'm not sure, but it just might.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1410426931' post='2549256']

I also own a Geddy Lee jazz bass. There isn't a SINGLE bass I've ever played (including all the ones that went through the music store I worked for and all the ones I've tried in other stores and belonging to friends etc) that has a neck profile like the Geddy Lee. It is unique

Also, sound and tone comes from the player (phrasing, note choice, rhythmic phrasing etc), not the bass, so I don't follow that logic :-) I've never had anyone comment on my playing after a gig and say 'it was awesome but your bridge pickup sounded a bit too much like Geddy Lee'
[/quote]

I own one of these too and I would love if someone said I sounded like Geddy Lee! I can dream, eh?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1416163205' post='2607501']

Not really. Most estimates put Clayton's 'net worth' at $150m...which is somewhat behind Marcus Miller who is worth approx $215m. I'll take brilliant musician who is also minted over the slightly less minted hack any day.
[/quote]

I'm sure Mr Clayton takes that on board and will give it his undevided attention as he struggles to improve his musicianship for you