Why become a member? ×

Are bassists strange?

thebeat

[quote name='thebeat' post='248236' date='Jul 26 2008, 01:49 AM']Americans and i mean the man on the street, not artists/writers/musos etc, seem disconnected from reality in some ways. ...I'm not saying per se that Americans are bad, well not as bad as the Serbs anyway...[/quote]

1. Serbs - once went out on the p*ss with some Serbs. None of us spoke the other's language, so it was hand-waving all night. Top bunch of people. Shame they had some s**tty leaders...love Karadzic's beard!

2. Yanks - not "disconnected" - just don't get Brit sarcasm or irony. Worked with loads of them, [i]so[/i] easy to wind them up with outrageous statements or outright lies

3. Bass players - warm, rounded intelligent, good-looking human beings, whatever their nationality

4. [i]'Lead'[/i] Guitarists / Front men - insufferable, talent-free, 12-verse soloing, fog-horn shrieking, toffee-nosed malodorous perverts with the rhythmic consistency of a drunk three-legged dog.

i feel that the general consenses is that, as already stated there are arse holes wierdo's nice people and strange people all over the world, but i feel most of these judgements come from first impressions of the people that we stereotype under said catagories...

i.e

Waiter/ess: good evening sir/madame can i help you?

You: yes i'd like a table please...

Waiter/ess: please right this way...

now that would give the first impression that the waiter/ess was very polite ad generally a nice person, but what you don't know is that perhaps this person is actually very violent and abusive and is putting on a forced set of manners...

example 2:

Post office worker: yeah, what you want?

you: i'd like to collect my pension please...

POW: *sigh* right ok, here fill this out...

on first oppinions said POW would be seen as perhaps an arse hole or just maybe short on manners but what you don't know is that maybe said person has had a bad day and is feeling down and didn't mean to take it out on you...

this i feel is where prejudice and stereotypes which cause this categorising trend seems to have come from, by only judging on what we first see, we undoubtly make a comment or think "oh what a nice man/woman" or "god what an arse hole"

and on the whole strange bassists subject, i feel tis our duty to be so as to try and brake the "stereotype" that bassists are the quiet ones who stand at the back and get on with it...

*all done*

*edited to retain the word arse...*

Edited by teen t-shirt

I'm in 24 of their clubs, I don't own/use any of the gear, but it's nice to feel wanted.

Funnily enough, the one club I could properly join is the Sei owners club, but I've never gotten around to joining it, I'll pop over now and join, that'll make it 25.

And no I don't think bassists are strange, no stranger than any other musician really.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Well, being the only American here that I know of..........It is now time for me to speak.

As for talkbass, I do not belong to a single club. I implore the thought of clubs, societies, fraternites and such because they drive wedges between people, or at least some of them. I do post at their site on occasion, although as for American sites I prefer activebass and worshipbass.

The average person in the streets being aloof and distant......you must have been visiting a larger city or metrpolitian area where people are suspicious of everyone else due to the crime problem, and for many that's how the original cultures they came from were like that.

As for Serbs....the only one I have met was one hot babe. She was gorgeous. I have nothing against Serbs, except those who have committed atrocities.

95 % of all Americans travel outside their state annually I live in an area where three states meet and it is not unusual for me to be in at least 2 of the 3 if not all 3 every weekend. I have been to Canada, Mexico, The Grand Caymans, Beileze. I have also been to all of the states except six, and I plan on seeing them before I die. I have been to Alaska, but haven't made it to Hawaii yet. Americans love to travel and run up the credit card while they do.

Yes I own guns. It is legal here. Just target shooting .22s and one other. I used to shoot competition before my eyes needed bifocul glasses. If someone breaks in my house intent on doing us harm, he is in for trouble. If you have to depend on the police to get there within 20 or 30 minutes, it could be too late for you and your family. I will not go down quietly. I have no machine guns and have no interest in owning one.

I may not agree with my neighbors from the British Isles on everything, but the ones I have met personally and here as well seem to be very hard working and honest people. Very friendly and willing to chat on about everything, and very intelligent. I hope to make it there and see the sights and meet some of you someday.

Bassists are almost always the organizers and level headed of the band clan. Strange? Yes, but no worse than others.

Kindest regards,
Doug

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='249830' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:08 PM']Well, being the only American here that I know of..........It is now time for me to speak.

As for talkbass, I do not belong to a single club. I implore the thought of clubs, societies, fraternites and such because they drive wedges between people, or at least some of them. I do post at their site on occasion, although as for American sites I prefer activebass and worshipbass.

The average person in the streets being aloof and distant......you must have been visiting a larger city or metrpolitian area where people are suspicious of everyone else due to the crime problem, and for many that's how the original cultures they came from were like that.

As for Serbs....the only one I have met was one hot babe. She was gorgeous. I have nothing against Serbs, except those who have committed atrocities.

95 % of all Americans travel outside their state annually I live in an area where three states meet and it is not unusual for me to be in at least 2 of the 3 if not all 3 every weekend. I have been to Canada, Mexico, The Grand Caymans, Beileze. I have also been to all of the states except six, and I plan on seeing them before I die. I have been to Alaska, but haven't made it to Hawaii yet. Americans love to travel and run up the credit card while they do.

Yes I own guns. It is legal here. Just target shooting .22s and one other. I used to shoot competition before my eyes needed bifocul glasses. If someone breaks in my house intent on doing us harm, he is in for trouble. If you have to depend on the police to get there within 20 or 30 minutes, it could be too late for you and your family. I will not go down quietly. I have no machine guns and have no interest in owning one.

I may not agree with my neighbors from the British Isles on everything, but the ones I have met personally and here as well seem to be very hard working and honest people. Very friendly and willing to chat on about everything, and very intelligent. I hope to make it there and see the sights and meet some of you someday.

Bassists are almost always the organizers and level headed of the band clan. Strange? Yes, but no worse than others.

Kindest regards,
Doug[/quote]

A nice level headed and articulate post Doug!

I can't help but imagine it said with an English accent though. Maybe if you put a few more capitals and exclaimation marks in there I would start to beleive your nationality! :)

I lived in London for 3 years and so glad I did. Generally you poms are a bunch of mad bastards with a great ironic sense of humour which I loved.
Funny thing is that before I went to the UK I figured that the difference between a Pom and an Aussie was almost nil. I was wrong. There are at times huge differences at other times none. Americans are no different in that context.

Like my mate ray says about all things in life... "Same, just different".

Now I just wish my name was Steve.. :)

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='249830' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:08 PM']Well, being the only American here that I know of..........It is now time for me to speak.[/quote]

hello fellow american! :)

i lived there for 20 years, moving to the UK 2 years ago. i don't go on TB, because, basically, i didn't like it...very "clique-y" indeed. BC ftw!

i play bass, love target shooting, and hate roast dinners. does that make me strange? probably, but i'd rather be me than anyone else.

i think bassists have to be a bit strange....if we weren't, we'd have learned to play g**tar like everyone else :huh:

Well! Glad I am not the only one!

I do, however, enjoy eating a good roast, but only occasionally. :)

It really is an enjoyment to post here. There is no better dry wit and humor than what you find in the Isles. :huh:

Perhaps being bassists are strange to others due to our organizational skills and rather deep satirical senses of humor.

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='251807' date='Jul 31 2008, 05:09 AM']Well! Glad I am not the only one!
There is no better dry wit and humor than what you find in the Isles. :)

Perhaps being bassists are strange to others due to our organizational skills and rather deep satirical senses of humor.[/quote]

haha agreed, definitely. probably why i fit in so well here :huh: