Why become a member? ×

The one that got away and the one best shut of...

interpol52

1. I regret most selling a cheap six string, made by Hudson and it was built in the same factory as a Cort Curbow, only this was made of wood with a spalt maple top. Was really, really nice and I can't remember why I sold it. Only £200 odd too....

2. OLP Musicman copy. Awful bass, side by side with a real Stingray 5 really showed it up as a stinker.

Probably all of the 2008 Series Precisions I`ve had, all cracking basses, one of which, a stripped down to the wood version, was particularly nice.
I wish I`d gotten on better with my EBMM Stingray and kept it, but it just wasn`t "me".
The Gibson Les Paul Bass, well that was a great bass, resulted in a lot of interest which I shamefully took advantage of, shall we say.
And lastly my 51 Reissue - bought it, sold it, bought it back again, sold it again. Wasn`t using it in a band so let it go, but would have been nice to keep it.

Should have kept - 1980's Graham Crook custom fretless 4 - rather like a neck-thru Wal. Lovely, unique, sold for a pittance :(

Well shot of - Columbus Jazz copy (2nd bass), a dog even by cheap plywood-bodied bass standards. I fitted a '60's Gibson mudbucker by the neck which must have increased its value by several factors of magnitude, had I but known. Swapped for a bike, which I crashed

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1406575380' post='2512660']
Two candidates for each:

Should have kept - either 1953 Precision in near mint condition (ex-Entwistle) or 1966 Slab Precision;

Absolute dog - 70's Rick 4000 and 1961 Precision (again ex-Entwistle). Neither were terrible basses but the worst two I have ever owned.
[/quote]

Just out of interest, how did you happen to come by not one but two of J.E's basses?
Gotta be a good story there!

Never regretted selling a bass (I don't do it often) but I do regret letting an old Ibanez Artist guitar go when I was younger. As I now have an ES175 and a Epiphone 335 I am sorted but I do wonder what possessed me to get rid of that old Ibanez. I swapped it for an acoustic I still own but should have held onto it.

The one I least regret selling is a 5 string Squier Precision. A good instrument, but I quickly realised that drop tuning a 4 string was much better for what I do.

The one I regret selling is an Aria semi-acoustic. Not sure of the model, but a band I auditioned for said I should use something more "metal" so I foolishly traded it to get a Squier Jazz.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1406638288' post='2513254']
The one I regret selling is an Aria semi-acoustic. Not sure of the model, but a band I auditioned for said I should use something more "metal" so I foolishly traded it to get a Squier Jazz.
[/quote]

If it was an AMB-50B I still have one and hardly ever play it so if you are ever over Nottingham way and fancy it I'm sure we could come to a cheap deal, they were always a bit 'entry level' but maybe yours was a bit classier?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1406578726' post='2512744']
Just out of interest, how did you happen to come by not one but two of J.E's basses?
Gotta be a good story there!
[/quote]

Back in the days when the Bass Centre was in Wapping they had a decent range of s/h stuff. Must be around 1987/8 they had a whole bunch of ex-Entwistle basses. I arranged a bank loan and bought a 1953 Precision, a 1961 and a 1962 which was refinished white. I also bought a slab 66 which was there.

This was before the days of the internet and I had no idea slab basses were so rare and that the white re-fin was the first Precision JE ever owned. Each of his basses came with a certificate signed by him.

I kept the '53 for a while but didn't really use it so it was a bit of a waste in my hands. The same with the 1961 - I found the E string was dead no matter what strings were on it. The slab went because it was a bit uncomfortable (being a slab body!). I kept the '62 for a while - getting it refinished in black.

Not long after I found a 1966 in Brighton that was far better than any of the older basses and the '62 went (via Sotheby's).

The two slab body basses recorded brilliantly but I was doing far more live work.

The prices will make you smile.

1953 = £995
1961 = £950
1962 and 1966 - £895 each.

And you tell the young folk of today!!!!

Glad to be rid of: Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo - weird saying this as it was going to be my dream bass and I had saved up for ages to buy it, massively disappointing and I tried to like it for over a year.

Wish I'd kept: It's a toss up between a Spector NS-94 or a Peavey C4-NT Zephyr - both great value and characterful.

1. A Tanglewood Artisan A6. Six string, through neck. Fantastic player. Bought from Cranes stand at Music Live. Never seen another
2. Ric 4003. Huge disappointment.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1406568472' post='2512559']
Should have kept my Jaydee MK11 and the MM Ray which I sold to Sshorepunk - didn't realise how much better it was than the newer ones. At least with the Jaydee it went to somebody who appreciates it.
[/quote]

Am I reading this wrong, or are you a bit bitter that Sshorepunk has not appreciated the Ray?

I've never owned a stinker. Even my old Marlin Sidewinder holds a dear place in my heart as the instrument that I learned to play on - I gigged it and recorded that silver monster for three years, totally unaware that 6mm wasn't normal action.

I've been playing for twenty years, and have only offloaded two basses:

- The one I miss least is the 2EQ Ray as I couldn't get it to sit in the mix.

- The other was an Epiphone El Capitan acoustic - it had a lovely tone, and I have great memories of taking it around Western Australia busking and jamming. I don't miss the bass so much as the experiences that I had with it.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1406668197' post='2513642']

Back in the days when the Bass Centre was in Wapping they had a decent range of s/h stuff. Must be around 1987/8 they had a whole bunch of ex-Entwistle basses. I arranged a bank loan and bought a 1953 Precision, a 1961 and a 1962 which was refinished white. I also bought a slab 66 which was there.

This was before the days of the internet and I had no idea slab basses were so rare and that the white re-fin was the first Precision JE ever owned. Each of his basses came with a certificate signed by him.

I kept the '53 for a while but didn't really use it so it was a bit of a waste in my hands. The same with the 1961 - I found the E string was dead no matter what strings were on it. The slab went because it was a bit uncomfortable (being a slab body!). I kept the '62 for a while - getting it refinished in black.

Not long after I found a 1966 in Brighton that was far better than any of the older basses and the '62 went (via Sotheby's).

The two slab body basses recorded brilliantly but I was doing far more live work.

The prices will make you smile.

1953 = £995
1961 = £950
1962 and 1966 - £895 each.

And you tell the young folk of today!!!!
[/quote]

Holy sh!+balls!! :-O

The one that got away - a 1971 Gibson EB3 (the one with the slotted headstock). I was downsizing my "quiver" prior to moving house and sold it for a song in 2006. I could probably get 5 times what I sold it for now. Out of the 4 pickup selector setttings there was only one useable one, however that sound was awesome.

I haven't sold that many basses and there aren't any that I was really happy to be shot of.