Why become a member? ×

Plectrums

Thunderbird

I'm the same, I don't think I would ever manage to wear one out. Shame the little tortoise wears off so easily though!

My .88's wear down a bit strangely. I guess I must pick at a funny angle, if you look at the plectrum with the point downwards, there's more wear on the left hand edge underneath, and on the right hand edge on the top, if that makes sense?

Ive bene using Claytons Acetal for a few years but recently deicided to try a few other brands/weights.
Ive tried a few Chicken picks (really nice but a bit too clicky sometimes), the usual Dunlop tortex ones (yellow and purple i think), V-pick which i really liked but it felt a bit sloppy in my hand, and ive finally settled on Gravity picks. so far ive only used one (1.5mm) but i have a couple of the XL 2.0mm on order. The Gravity picks aren't cheap but the tone seems more solid, but without too much note attack.

i can/do definitely play faster with the heavier picks. I have to put a bit more effort in but the notes just seem more defined and clearer compared to my old 1.9mm picks, portably due to the material.

I've always favoured finger style, but if I need a REALLY aggressive tone then I'll whip one of these out.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/TECKPICK®

It's also got the added bonus that when the zombie apocalypse arrives (and arrive it will) you can use them as arrowheads. Odd that there's no mention of that on the Dunlop site… <_<

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1405666924' post='2504090']
Was it you?
[/quote]

Yes, I think so. :D I can play much faster with a .50 pick than with anything thicker. But as usual it's just down to personal taste. I'm not quite so belligerent about it these days as I now play fingerstyle 99% of the time, anyway. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405762434' post='2504995']
Yes, I think so. :D I can play much faster with a .50 pick than with anything thicker. But as usual it's just down to personal taste. I'm not quite so belligerent about it these days as I now play fingerstyle 99% of the time, anyway. :)
[/quote]
Well, let's not fall out over it and YMMV as they say, but I'm wanting to say possible speed of playing is not a matter of personal taste but is shaped by flexibility of the pick.

More flexible means longer recovery time means slower maximum speed.

Less flexible means shorter recovery time means higher maximum speed.

It's physics. But as I'm not a physicist ... I'd be happy to be corrected.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1405766457' post='2505041']
Well, let's not fall out over it...
[/quote]

+1 All I know is I can play fast with a flexible pick (when necessary) and can't play as fast with a thicker, inflexible pick. That's just a fact. I'm sure it also depends on how you're holding the pick and how you're using it (I always palm-mute with a pick and use a roughly equal number of up and down strokes), what type of material you're playing, what strings you're wearing and a hundred other parameters... horses for courses and all that. :)

I`m the same Mark, using a thinner pick and doing both downwards and upwards picking I can get much faster than with a thicker pick. That said, I find the sound lacks, as there isn`t the same heavy attack, so I stick to the speed I can go at with the 1.14s.

• 1 month later...

I use a dunlop thick jobbie.....not sure of the gauge and can't be arsed to go upstairs snd check.

Also tried gypsy jazz wooden picks (great big thick things, real nice to hold). Great attack, but they "click" on the strings which is annoying (wouldn't be at gig vol)

I've got a couple of spares if anyone wants one (as in FREE) to try