Why become a member? ×

Thinking about a new amp - not Class D

fretmeister

Right.

I have owned a bunch of class D heads and I currently own a Genz Shuttle 9.2 and a Streamliner 900. Both are great heads, but I find myself infected with GAS.

I'm expecting a tax rebate so I'm thinking about getting a new head.

The Mesa Prodigy Four:88 is a contender but I noticed a few people have returned them as not being as good as they should be for the money (please don't make this a Boogie = overprice thread!) but what about the M6 or M9 Carbine heads?

I also fancy a Fafner 2, but that is then 3u and is getting a bit on the chunky side!

All suggestions welcome! It's been ages since I've looked at amp heads

ta

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1405503533' post='2502406']
There is Ampeg V4BH for sale here on basschat, if you want something lightweight ;)
[/quote]

Has a matching 1x15 cab with it as well. They`re (only) about 42lbs I believe, which isn`t bad for a valve amp.

I had one of the first Mesa M9's over here when they came out, and it broke, very quickly in a cloud of smoke, so did the second and then the third.

As you can guess it really put me off them, it was a good sounding amp with plenty of features and looked great. I did hear sometime after I returned the third one that they had some sort of recall to fix a problem, sorry I cannot tell what it was as I kinda lost interest in them.

Would I have one again if I could be confident the problem i had was fixed?…….[i]Probably[/i].

I've just bought a mesa walkabout as my lightweight option as Class D wasn't cutting it for me.

If I had an injection of cash and was considering amps, my list is all valve at the moment and includes [size=4]Matamp GT200 and [/size][size=4]Ashdown CTM100. [/size]

[size=4]Still to find out if the walkabout suits me, and I'm more than happy with my ashdown ABM500.[/size]

Lovely position to be in, you must definitely shop around or order a few and send some back if not right for you!

I've only tried an M-pulse 600 in store a few times, including A/Bing it to the Carbine. Others will have better experience I expect.

In summary, I liked the tone - warm, m-pulse line-esque, carried 'authority'. Word on the street is that the walkabout does 'valvey' better than the 600 for some reason. I still got some nice grind out f it, but it does clean very nicely.

I disliked the extensive para eq - whilst it gives you tonnes of tonal options, I don't like too many knobs and found I dialed in some tones I really liked then couldnt remember how to dial them back up - this may be a huge plus for you though?

Build quality was great as you'd expect and it felt pretty heavy, as you'd expect. I came really close to buying, but for the amount of eq and price tag new.

Hope that helps.... :s look forward to others opinions on this actually.

I had a M-Pulse 360 (which was loud enough for me) and found the 'solo' feature and para-EQ waaaay over the top, but then I just bypassed it and got on with it :D

Not as 'tubey' as the Walkabout (had one of those, too) but as described above; a very nice warm, clear amp, with a very nice compressor - if my gigging circumstances changed and I was in the (unlikely) mood to lug bigger amps around, I'd have another.

Mind you, I preferred my Streamliner to the M-Pulse and the Walkabout, so what do I know? :D

The list of Class AB amps is a long one (i.e non D Class) - is there anything else specifically you are looking for in spec? Weight? Power output etc?

How about separate pre and power amp components? Is that do-able?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1405538528' post='2502906']
The list of Class AB amps is a long one (i.e non D Class) - is there anything else specifically you are looking for in spec? Weight? Power output etc?

[/quote] good idea - I know someone with a top notch class AB power amp for sale, and I'm sure if you paired that with something like an (ahem) really nice preamp [size=1]see my sig[/size] you could have an awesome rig! :D

EDIT: it does look like a cracking power amp too

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1405538528' post='2502906']

[/quote]

Subtle! :D

I do have an Ampeg SVP-BSP and I currently use my Shuttle 9.2 as a power amp for it.

But anything is possible! I just noticed that the Fractal Axe-FX is slowly getting some bass models that seem to be very well regarded.

To get something like that and a good power amp I'd have to off load some kit too.