Why become a member? ×

Slab bodied P-basses (66)

cocco

Been thinking about these all day. I've never seen or heard much less played one.

Is there really that much of a difference between a slab and a contoured body tone wise? Obviously there is marginally more wood but I can't see that it would make a huge difference.

Anyone got any experience? If it makes that much of a difference I'm tempted to build a bitsa as I don't think I'd miss the contours too much.

*edit* also if I did build a bitsa would I be likey to capture the magic?

Edited by cocco

You say that, but my Hayman 4040 (though sounding lovely and with a very playable neck) is a lot more uncomfortable to play than my contoured Jazz Bass. Could have something to do with the old beer gut... but having said that, the lack of a forearm contour is the worst thing about it.

As regards the 66 P Bass I can recommend Barry Matthews' book [i]Fender Bass for Britain[/i] which tells the story of the 66 Precision. But in short I'm not sure if it was the slab body but more the neck and the electrics that were responsible for the much-vaunted tone...

The neck was maple, but two-piece - a curved maple fingerboard (as opposed to a slab fingerboard) glued to a maple neck.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1405285708' post='2500508']
Been thinking about these all day. I've never seen or heard much less played one.

Is there really that much of a difference between a slab and a contoured body tone wise? Obviously there is marginally more wood but I can't see that it would make a huge difference.

Anyone got any experience? If it makes that much of a difference I'm tempted to build a bitsa as I don't think I'd miss the contours too much.

*edit* also if I did build a bitsa would I be likey to capture the magic?
[/quote]
BassChats existing thread which is fast becoming the bible for these basses on here! BassDoc and Slab66 are both great guys and EXTREMELY knowledgable!

Check the thread here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171336-66-slab-precisionanyone-seen-onegot-one/page__pid__2490652__st__150#entry2490652

• 1 year later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405286095' post='2500511']
You say that, but my Hayman 4040 (though sounding lovely and with a very playable neck) is a lot more uncomfortable to play than my contoured Jazz Bass. Could have something to do with the old beer gut... but having said that, the lack of a forearm contour is the worst thing about it.
[/quote]

I find the same with my EBMM SUBs and Stingray... the slabby SUBs are fine, but the contoured Stingray is noticeably more comfortable to wear on a strap. The SUB reclaims some points when seated - but I think that's probably more due to extra grip on the leg from the textured matte paint than anything shape related...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458219288' post='3005693']
Stop quoting posts I made two years ago! I don't even [i]have[/i] a Jazz Bass now!
[/quote]

Ah well spotted - I hadn't noticed it was an old thread that had been bumped

Well, a serious reply to this old topic that the OP has probably forgotten about is Tonewoods make only so much difference so I'd say it's extremely unlikely that a bit of contouring would make much difference and it's more likely to be, as has been said, neck and electronics.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1458221429' post='3005737']
Ah well spotted - I hadn't noticed it was an old thread that had been bumped
[/quote]

We should castigate the bumper. ;) Anyway it's still true - slab bodies are bloody uncomfortable. Which is a shame as I have GAS for a 51-style P.

Andy Cichon, Billy Joels bass player has been a long time fan of slab p basses and offers these thoughts.

[i]"I've never played the 66 made for UK P basses but I own the neck on a regular Alder 66 body. C width at nut 1 3/4" with fantastic neck profile.
I can only speak of the Maple Cap necks from this period of which I own four. My first contact with these necks was with a 1968 P bass owned by Mark Evans, the original bassplayer for AC DC. It was at that point, the best sounding Precision I had ever played and begged him to sell it to me for years. He never did. Wise man. I finally found mine on ebay years later and have tracked them down and bought them whenever I could. They sound that good. Very very aggressive tone. When you think about how many bodies John Entwistle grafted that same neck onto over the years, it should be apparent that if you want that snarling P bass tone, this is your neck. 1966-71 only. Custom order from Fender. The new P's have them now but I think the thickness of the board is different. Anyway, I've come close to getting a made for UK Slab/ Maple Cap P but so far they have just eluded me. I know that some of the others ended up in the hands of the bassists for 'The Glitter Band" and T- Rex. Fender have made a re issue which I have yet to play. I will say this. If you have the opportunity to own a 60s maple cap P grab it.
BTW, When I played Warwicks for 20 years and now Foderas, I always had them made with Maple Cap necks. Vinny Fodera does all his maple boards as caps anyway. That's one of the many reasons I play Foderas"[/i]

Larry Taylor who played with Canned Heat, John Mayall and others (and is up there with Bernard Edwards, Jamerson et al in my humble opinion) popped up on Talkbass pointing out he had a black one which appears on Canned Heat's performance on the film Monterey Pop - he also said he bought it in a regular shop on the States.

Quite interesting because I'd never even noticed before and his story appeared to fly in the face of the written legend on the slab P basses somewhat. Monterey was 1967?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1458259957' post='3006179']
Larry Taylor who played with Canned Heat, John Mayall and others (and is up there with Bernard Edwards, Jamerson et al in my humble opinion) popped up on Talkbass pointing out he had a black one which appears on Canned Heat's performance on the film Monterey Pop - he also said he bought it in a regular shop on the States.

Quite interesting because I'd never even noticed before and his story appeared to fly in the face of the written legend on the slab P basses somewhat. Monterey was 1967?
[/quote]

See Larry Taylor at Monterey with slab Precision in the video above.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1458289271' post='3006232']

See Larry Taylor at Monterey with slab Precision in the video above.
[/quote]

Yes the very one - I hadn't run your upload, as you guessed but I'd seen it before. He seems to suggest it was just another new P bass hanging on the wall in a shop in the US, which he happened to buy because he wanted a P bass, and a black one.

To me it had an aggressive tone (quite unlike his recorded work which had a Jamerson like intensity to the thump) - he played pretty hard from my recollection (plucking intensity rather like Leo Lyons - maybe you'd call it almost thwacking rather than plucking!).

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1458251175' post='3006100']
To bolster my theory, take The Who's gig from the Isle of Wight, 1970. I've seen this cited as an example of how a stock Precision just lacked the bite and grind inherent in the Slab circuitry. Yet, we know that John was running a simple bi-amp setup. I wager that they only mic'd up the 'bass' half of his rig. There are times when Roger Daltrey stands close to John's rig and you can hear the more typical [i]Leeds[/i] tone bleeding into the vocal mics, which again backs up my argument. I would need to find an audience bootleg of that gig to reinforce my view, but I wager that any P bass with John's low action and zero relief setup would get the same tone through that rig. The idea of overwound pickups and 'inherent distortion' is a myth!

[/quote]

I've often used the IOW vs Leeds as an example of the difference between the standard Precision and a Slab (well, in this case Frankenstein). I'll admit the recording as murkier on the IOW set but to my ears the basses sound different - IOW sounds like a Precision, Leeds sounds like something more.
I also disagree with the idea that IOW only represents the bass side of JE's rig, but would be intrigued to hear the change in tone when bleeding into the vocal mic - can you post a link or suggest when this happens?
I firmly believe that thes basses sounded different to the standard, partly because of what I'm hearing but also because most of the players who own or owned one will confirm it! I reckon it must come down the the pickup or neck as JE's Frankenstein retains it.
It's a fascinating riddle.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1458420640' post='3007573']
If someone has a regular, fully stock '66 Precision, maybe we should do a direct sound comparison with my stock slab?

Maybe one for a bassbash?
[/quote]

I don't, but great idea! I would love to hear the results from that one. 👍

If someone has a regular, fully stock '66 Precision, maybe we should do a direct sound comparison with my stock slab?

[/quote]

Very good idea and even better if one had a small collection of fully stock '66 Precisions to compare because I bet they don't all sound exactly the same.

[/quote]

Great idea Rick - The Herts Bash is on its way soon, would be great to do it there in addition to the other events. I think a regular attendee has a 66 so I`ll drop him a message.