Why become a member? ×

Daftest question asked?

thinman

I was chatting to a neighbour of mine the other day who originates from Yorkshire and I got round to mentioning that I play bass in a band. His first question was:

"What kind of 'Leppard and 'Jovi do you play?"

Apart from being totally dumbstruck I couldn't work out if it was a sad indictment of his musical exposure, a sad indictment of the Yorkshire amateur music scene or a quote from "Phoenix Nights".

Anyone else had such a strange reaction?

yeah, but what kind do you play ?

:)

if people ask me what kind of music i play, i normally say 'folk'. it usually stops the conversation dead.

especially good for when you climb into a taxi with a bass case and don't want some long diatribe from the taxi driver about some music-ralated issue.

On Holiday in Greece a couple of years ago.
A woman...'What do you do for a living then'?
Me... Umm, a Bass player,Musician.
Her ..'Oh really,[Pause]...
My nephew is guitarist Musician type of person like you...
He spins the decks.'

I now tell holiday folk i am a cab driver.....
Then grind them to death with my life on the road as a cabbie.....

Garry

Me: do you have any bass guitars in at all?

Shop keep: only this one here...

Me: oh i wasn't looking for one of those sorry...

Shop keep 2: oh how do you know thats a bass guitar?

Shop keep: because it has 4 strings...

Me: *dumb struck face and leave the cash converters instantly, with offended look on my face*

:)

After playing blistering soul set,followed by Rock,and a a Bit of the Who,I get the nice comments,and get asked..

"Wow,you really know how to play Bass"

Me.."Thanks..Glad you enjoyed it"

"Yeah,What Bands do you like to listen to to prepare for this sort of stuff.."

Me.."Throbbing Gristle"

The Blank look of 'What' is worth it everytime...

My favourite daft question used to happen to me once a week, every week, when i went into my local post office, with my bass ...

Shop "So, catch anything interesting..."
Me "hmm?"
Shop "been fishing haven't you?"
Me "erm, no, no, it's bass guitar"
Shop "ahh"

Every effing week, for two years! To top it of, I have seen a fishing rod before, they are a lot longer and thinner than bass guitars, and only have one string :)

Edited by gilmour

Finished the first set with a country & western band in a pub a few years ago. Young guy walks up & asks if there's any chance we could play part or all of Dark side of the moon!!

I suppose it makes a change from being asked for mustang sally

A few years ago I was in a jazz fusion trio... playing in a Bristol jazz venue pub place, we'd just finished murdering a lengthy Bruford tune when this guy approached me...
Him: "Oi mate, do you do Paranoid by Black Sabbath?"
Me: :) [i]*stunned silence*[/i]
Him: "Oh c'mon, you must know it."
Me: "Mate, we're a fusion band -- even if we did know it, do you honestly think for a moment that it's the sort of thing we play?"
Him: "Yeah go on, you can do it."
Me: [i]*glare that says 'f*** off you complete idiot'*[/i] "Ahem, I don't think so."

[quote name='gilmour' post='244998' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:39 AM']My favourite daft question used to happen to me once a week, every week, when i went into my local post office, with my bass ...

Me "hmm?"
Shop "ahh"

Every effing week, for two years! To top it of, I have seen a fishing rod before, they are a lot longer and thinner than bass guitars, and only have one string :)[/quote]

I've been asked that question loads of times, it just totally amazes me that people who can be so stupid are allowed to walk around on their own.

[quote name='gilmour' post='244998' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:39 AM']My favourite daft question used to happen to me once a week, every week, when i went into my local post office, with my bass ...

Me "hmm?"
Shop "ahh"

Every effing week, for two years! To top it of, I have seen a fishing rod before, they are a lot longer and thinner than bass guitars, and only have one string :)[/quote]

I don't believe that they are that daft. They probably view it as a running joke, and enjoy seeing your reaction. Try changing you're response to play along with it! Some sort of pun on Bass (the instrument) and Bass (the fish) perhaps?

Edited by Clive Thorne

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='245187' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:02 AM']I don't believe that they are that daft. They probably view it as a running joke, and enjoy seeing your reaction. Try changing you're response to play along with it! Some sort of pun on Bass (the instrument) and Bas (the fish) perhaps?[/quote]

Yeah, take in a rubber fish that you can pull out to show what you caught. Or even a rubber chicken to really confuse them :-)

Playing in a blues-rock band - a mix of our own material and blues standards including a couple of Hendrix tunes. All songs done, I'd like to think, in our own [i]inimitable[/i] style.

Punter (male, late teens): "Have you always been a tribute band?"

Me (male, not late teens): "Tribute band? Why do you say that?"

Punter: "You did a Hendrix song."

Me: "Er....yeh. What's that got to do with being a tribute band?"

Punter: "If you play someone else's song, you're a tribute band."

Me: "I don't think so but whatever..."

Punter (as I start packing gear): "You were really good for a tribute band."

Me: "Thanks."

I resisted telling him that his definition of 'tribute band' meant that probably every band that ever existed was a tribute band.