Why become a member? ×

Relicked Basses and copyright issues...

Conan

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1403795018' post='2486498']
I've just read back through this thread looking for the train wreck ( so I can make it worse, obviously...) and I can't find one. Were there no survivors?

Anyhow, my take on all this would be that , regarding relicked instruments ect, it is a ridiculous trend, but at the same time I can totally understand why people are attracted to them. So much of what we all aspire to in life is ridiculous, so why should bass guitars be exempt from that? The underlying fact is that when we buy consumer items, basses included, we are very often making choices which are based on our ideas about ourselves, and those choices are designed to reinforce and those ideas and to turn them into something tangible so we have got some physical evidence that they are real.

In a culture obsessed with nostalgia and the quest for the authentic, it's not surprising that wear and tear are now being faked in order to create inauthentic authenticity. Not to do so would be an opportunity missed.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403794875' post='2486495']
Can you just tell me where it states that has to be the case?
[/quote]

Allparts pay Fender a fee to be allowed to make necks with the Fender headstock shape. They are made to allow those us clumsy bass players to replace a damage neck on our beloved Fenders. Even then, if that bass is sold again the seller should say that the neck is a non-Fender replacement, even if it is authorised.

However - if you, me, whoever buys an authorised Fender neck made by Allparts and sticks it on an authorised Allparts Fender body, and then adds a Fender decal and even adds genuine Fender pickups, tuning heads, 'plate etc etc, it is still not a Fender. It has not been made by Fender.

Now that's fine if it is for your own use, but the moment you try to sell it as a Fender, then you breach the Trade Marks Act and the Copyright Patents & Designs Act.

Fender don't even supply logos / decals to Allparts / Warmoth etc. They keep those for their own replacement necks.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1403795163' post='2486501']
Sorry Fretmeister, I can't quote you on my phone. I don't think you are correct. If this is the case then how come I can buy an Allparts, Warmoth or Mighty Mite neck with a decal and no requirement to fit it to a Fender body?
[/quote]

You can't buy them with a decal.

Fender won't even sell you a decal to use on a restoration job.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403789002' post='2486401']
Can't help but laugh at BRX questioning peoples aesthetic tastes in basses when he plays such outrageous shaped and attention grabbing instruments :D
[/quote]

I'm not questioning the aesthetics, what I do find amusing though is that people would choose to have what is IMO a rather ordinary looking instrument (Limelight) and then pretend that it's a different rather ordinary instrument (Fender). ;-)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403795437' post='2486504']

Allparts pay Fender a fee to be allowed to make necks with the Fender headstock shape. They are made to allow those us clumsy bass players to replace a damage neck on our beloved Fenders. Even then, if that bass is sold again the seller should say that the neck is a non-Fender replacement, even if it is authorised.

However - if you, me, whoever buys an authorised Fender neck made by Allparts and sticks it on an authorised Allparts Fender body, and then adds a Fender decal and even adds genuine Fender pickups, tuning heads, 'plate etc etc, it is still not a Fender. It has not been made by Fender.

Now that's fine if it is for your own use, but the moment you try to sell it as a Fender, then you breach the Trade Marks Act and the Copyright Patents & Designs Act.

Fender don't even supply logos / decals to Allparts / Warmoth etc. They keep those for their own replacement necks.
[/quote]

If that is the case, why do fender let me buy an official Fender neck with fender decal via the official Fender website so that I can fit it to whatever I like? http://www.fender.com/store/precision-bass-necks/

Edited by skej21

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403795737' post='2486514']

You can't buy them with a decal.

Fender won't even sell you a decal to use on a restoration job.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I have the official 2014 Fender catalogue in front of me and you can buy a fully decal'd Fender Jazz or Precision neck straight from Fender. The prices online are in dollars but my catalogue has them in pounds with relevant UK EAN/UPC codes so they are available to purchase and fit to any bass body or parts that I like.

http://www.fender.com/store/precision-bass-necks/

Edited by skej21

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403795771' post='2486516']
I'm not questioning the aesthetics, what I do find amusing though is that people would choose to have what is IMO a rather ordinary looking instrument (Limelight) and then pretend that it's a different rather ordinary instrument (Fender). ;-)
[/quote]

"I'm not questioning the aesthetics"

"a rather ordinary looking instrument"

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403795892' post='2486519']
I'm sorry but you're wrong. I have the official 2014 Fender catalogue in front of me and you can buy a fully decal'd Fender Jazz or Precision neck straight from Fender. [url="http://www.fender.com/store/precision-bass-necks/"]http://www.fender.co...ion-bass-necks/[/url]
[/quote]

Please quote the original bit I quoted before you selectively quote me!

I said that he couldn't buy a Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite neck with a logo on it. And he can't!

Of course Fender can sell you a neck with Fender on it!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403796189' post='2486529']

I said that he couldn't buy a Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite neck with a logo on it. And he can't!

[/quote]

Exactly like putting a Status neck on a MM, the neck says Status as it's a Status neck.

[size=4]OK, I sent Mark a link to this thread because I thought 1) he'd be interested in it, and 2) since we have exchanged quite a bit of correspondence regarding my new baby I thought it only right and proper to give him a heads-up.

[b]He has asked me to state that he will no longer be supplying instruments bearing Fender decals. The headstocks will be blank and anyone who wants a Fender decal can apply it themselves.[/b][/size]

[size=4]So there you have it.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1403796269' post='2486531']
Exactly like putting a Status neck on a MM, the neck says Status as it's a Status neck.
[/quote]

Exactly. It's no longer a MM bass and it's not a Status bass. It's a bitsa.

A very nice bitsa, but still a bitsa.

[/quote]

Which totally invalidates your point about buying a fender decal'd neck and fitting it to a non-fender body...

[/quote]

I've bought a Mighty Mite one with a decal. Brand new from an authorized distributor. He said as it was licensed it was allowed to wear the Fender badge.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1403798935' post='2486575']
I've bought a Mighty Mite one with a decal. Brand new from an authorized distributor. He said as it was licensed it was allowed to wear the Fender badge.
[/quote]

When?

If Fender have given written permission then that is ok - but I doubt that still applies as Fender are now selling their own.

That is the point - the logo and headstock shape belongs to Fender. They get to decide what happens to it. They can grant permissions or not.

But a builder doesn't get to assume they have permission - it needs to be specific.

Edited by fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403799363' post='2486578']
When?

If Fender have given written permission then that is ok - but I doubt that still applies as Fender are now selling their own.

That is the point - the logo and headstock shape belongs to Fender. They get to decide what happens to it. They can grant permissions or not.
[/quote]

I got it around 3 or 4 years ago. I put it on a P body of unknown pedigree from eBay. Sold it to Alex Clabber and he uses it to demo Barefaced cabs.

I don't know about all the copyright issues, all I know is I think all relic basses look crap IMHO so I don't buy one and some people think they are great and buy one it is all up to the individual no one has the right to tell anyone else what or what not to get :) I love Fenders but I do think Fender are really taking the piss on the price of some of there basses and as such are losing sales as people just go for a relic or make a bitsa I honestly think if a real Fender was a better price they would sell more and there would not be a lot of point in copy basses granted there will still be copies around though

I emailed Warmoth and asked if I could buy a replacement neck for my strat with a decal.

The answer:

"Only Fender can put their logo on products. Our necks have our logo and certain other information stamped on the heel, but per our license agreement with Fender, we do not apply any logos or decals to our headstocks. There are many people who apply decals of various kinds to various headstocks for their own personal use, and information on that can be found online.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with."

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403783161' post='2486268']
It'd be interesting to hear Molan's view on it. Bassgear have sold Nash basses and they are essentially the same thing (not just Limelight)...

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/nash-jb63/
[/quote]
Hey, that’s my old Nash…!

It certainly looked like the real thing from a distance but I am reliably informed that it couldn’t be mistaken for the original on close inspection by anyone who knew anything at all about it. Not least because it had a (smaller) Nash decal right next to the Fender one!

I'm pretty sure I read he makes them. And when I complimented him on them he said thanks and that he gets a lot of good feedback about the pickups. I'll try to find where I read about them before

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403785364' post='2486307']

Does he make his own? If not, anyone know what he uses? Or maybe this can be specced by the buyer too? :)
[/quote]