Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

14 minutes ago, MrSpace said:
7 hours ago, ezbass said:

Madison Cunningham…

Wow almost missed this in the thread. Amazing stuff. Quite an interesting tone on that guitar, thought it was a bass at first...

Same… was impressed at how she played a kind of hybrid bass/guitar line on the six string. 
But it was good all round though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrSpace said:

Wow almost missed this in the thread. Amazing stuff. Quite an interesting tone on that guitar, thought it was a bass at first...

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Same… was impressed at how she played a kind of hybrid bass/guitar line on the six string. 

Drop C by all accounts. Here’s the analysis video that introduced me to Ms Cunningham.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 13:17, asingardenof said:

Mostly listening to the new Ithaca album on repeat. The bassist's sister is a friend of mine, but that's not the reason it's on repeat, which is that it's freaking amazing.

I should probably post a link to a video, shouldn't I...

Edited by asingardenof
Youtube link fail
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MrSpace said:

16 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

15 hours ago, ezbass said:

Drop C by all accounts. Here’s the analysis video that introduced me to Ms Cunningham.

Sounds great.

Not to brag or anything, but, even though the music I make doesn't have a lot in common with this, my playing style is actually somewhat similar, the sort of hybrid guitar/bass thing, on my main instrument, a Harley Benton GuitarBass (a take on the Fender Bass VI concept, though being closer related to the Schecter Hellcat VI) tuned in F#1 standard tuning (that is 10 half steps bellow regular guitar E2 standard tuning, or 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E1), which I think is a perfect match for this kind of instrument, so to me it totally makes sense that she would tune her guitar down to C for this.

However, even though I do sing fairly decently, and have done so in several musical project, I couldn't play like this and sing at the same time, and, as the guy in the video note, I don't understand how it is possible either, even though I did play bass in a math rock band at some point where the guitarist, who was also the vocalist, could do this as well.

To me it's a mystery, almost on the same level as if one could have an unrelated conversation while writing something entirely different simultaneously.

And yes, the guy in the video is also right about this song (haven't heard any of her others) having a very Joni Mitchell-esque vibe, but maybe with a slightly more mathy, instead of Joni's jazzy, quality.

Math folk?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

However, even though I do sing fairly decently, and have done so in several musical project, I couldn't play like this and sing at the same time, and, as the guy in the video note, I don't understand how it is possible either, even though I did play bass in a math rock band at some point where the guitarist, who was also the vocalist, could do this as well.

That was my second thought…. How can she sing at the same time!

16 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

That was my second thought…. How can she sing at the same time!

Practise I guess, or just an ability to separate the two things mentally, rather like playing a syncopated bass line and singing at the same time. Although not in the same league, I was called on to sing Bowie’s China Girl. Couldn’t do it at first, but with lots and lots of practise behind closed doors, accompanied with lots of errors, I finally nailed it. Drummers and keyboard players have this separation as an essential part of what they do and then many sing as well. Flash buggers 😂

• Like 1