Why become a member? ×

Wal's...

bassjamm

Hi guys and gals,

I've been listening to Janek Gwizdala's 'Mystery to Me' album a lot over the past year and really love his tone on it. I understand that he's using a Wal on this album, not his Fodera.

I was wondering if this barky/grunty tone was typical of Wal basses?

Also, being someone who's not really had any happenings with a Wal, nor any knowledge of them, what kind of different things can i expect from the Mach I, II and III models? And what's the difference between the pro's and the custom models etc?

Any info on them would be great thanks.

Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='244292' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:26 AM']Hi guys and gals,

I've been listening to Janek Gwizdala's 'Mystery to Me' album a lot over the past year and really love his tone on it. I understand that he's using a Wal on this album, not his Fodera.

I was wondering if this barky/grunty tone was typical of Wal basses?

Also, being someone who's not really had any happenings with a Wal, nor any knowledge of them, what kind of different things can i expect from the Mach I, II and III models? And what's the difference between the pro's and the custom models etc?

Any info on them would be great thanks.

Jamie[/quote]

I've got a 2 pup Wal (birds eye maple top and back) on appro at the moment and I have to say that it is quite 'parpy'... don't you just love the way we describe what we hear :)

I wouldn't say it was as grunty or growly as my Warwicks it has a different tone to anything I've ever had before (I had a Wal many years back and it sounded exactly the same even though my first was a shaduka top). Even though the push pull pots change the tone (love playing wah/wah with the tone controls :huh: ) it is still inherently mid biased and the core tone of the bass alters what I play and how.

Sorry it's not been much use but my experience has been that a Wal has a very individual tone and I can't coax a Fender sound out of it if I try.

I'm not really after getting a Fender tone if i have a bass tone that i like, that has the mid-range honk i love to hear...and the sound of Janek's Wal really does it for me.

Do they have a lot of ballsyness about then at all?

I guess i just need to play one to get a feel for them and to let my ears do the judging, not my eyes :)

Jamie

The older Pro models didn't have the filter based electronics that the Customs have and I suspect the tone you're hearing on 'Mystery to Me' is that of a Custom model..

I'd agree with Warwickhunt that Wals have a very unique tone and certainly, they're a long way away from a Fender tonally. But, they do things that most basses just can't and that's what's so exciting about them IMO.

The older pro models (all 4 string) were made mainly of ash and can approximate a Fender tone, especially a P Bass.

Hope that helps..

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='244915' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:58 PM']Jamie

The older Pro models didn't have the filter based electronics that the Customs have and I suspect the tone you're hearing on 'Mystery to Me' is that of a Custom model..

I'd agree with Warwickhunt that Wals have a very unique tone and certainly, they're a long way away from a Fender tonally. But, they do things that most basses just can't and that's what's so exciting about them IMO.

The older pro models (all 4 string) were made mainly of ash and can approximate a Fender tone, especially a P Bass.

Hope that helps..

Nik[/quote]

By older Pro models, do you mean 70's/early 80's or what mate? Do the late 80's Pro models have that funky fliter thing? If not, are they easy to get hold of and install?

[quote name='7string' post='244963' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:15 AM']Just a quick word to bear in mind that there could be a whole bunch of stuff between bass and recording stuff.

Maybe there's something in his signal chain which is making the Wal sound like it does.[/quote]

I appreciate that...but it was a live album to an extent, and it would have required some pretty hefty changes to create that sound. I think the bass used must have had a certain amount of awesomeness before being fandangled with!

With one of these you can get any sound that you want! (even a wal sound!) :)

[attachment=11065:Wall_midi.jpg]

check out [url="http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm"]http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm[/url]

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='244996' date='Jul 21 2008, 05:32 PM']With one of these you can get any sound that you want! (even a wal sound!) :huh:

check out [url="http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm"]http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm[/url][/quote]

That was awesome, Mr Bassman!! :) Everyone here should click onto the site he recommended!

Edited by mgauction

[quote name='bassjamm' post='244985' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:00 AM']By older Pro models, do you mean 70's/early 80's or what mate? Do the late 80's Pro models have that funky fliter thing? If not, are they easy to get hold of and install?[/quote]
Hi Jamie,

It's not an exact science, but it goes something like this:

The older Pro models started production around 1978 and continued until about 1981-2. The Custom models - with mahogany core bodies & multi-laminate facings, custom electronics and slimmed down headstock - appeared around 1982. But there are some hybrid models out there that have the old ash body and paddle shaped headstock but are fitted with the custom electronics..

The late 80's/early 90's Pro models vary; some have the custom electronics, some were completely passive and some had series/parallel switching that most other Wals were never fitted with.. So this particular batch is not easy to categorise.

The custom electronics as a product in it's own right is almost impossible to get hold of and instal, as Wals have been out of production for at least 2 years now, hence the reason that s/h prices shot up! But the good news is that a deal appears to be close to completion whereby production is going to start up again under the control of one of the old Wal production team..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='245021' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:08 AM']Hi Jamie,

It's not an exact science, but it goes something like this:

The older Pro models started production around 1978 and continued until about 1981-2. The Custom models - with mahogany core bodies & multi-laminate facings, custom electronics and slimmed down headstock - appeared around 1982. But there are some hybrid models out there that have the old ash body and paddle shaped headstock but are fitted with the custom electronics..

The late 80's/early 90's Pro models vary; some have the custom electronics, some were completely passive and some had series/parallel switching that most other Wals were never fitted with.. So this particular batch is not easy to categorise.

The custom electronics as a product in it's own right is almost impossible to get hold of and instal, as Wals have been out of production for at least 2 years now, hence the reason that s/h prices shot up! But the good news is that a deal appears to be close to completion whereby production is going to start up again under the control of one of the old Wal production team..[/quote]

Thanks mate...that's most helpful!

OOoooo...i'd spotted some kind of closer/re-opening looming about on the net. How much did custom Wal's cost then? As much as the current second hand prices?

[quote name='bassjamm' post='245080' date='Jul 22 2008, 09:21 AM']....How much did custom Wal's cost then? As much as the current second hand prices?....[/quote]
Nine years ago Pete Stevens quoted about £2500 for a Custom 5 string, depending on what I wanted him to do, but I found a very nice American Walnut 5 string in a local shop for a lot less so I never got mine made! As most Wal owners seem to look after their basses, I think this makes the current second hand prices very reasonable.

[quote name='chris_b' post='245146' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:36 AM']Nine years ago Pete Stevens quoted about £2500 for a Custom 5 string, depending on what I wanted him to do, but I found a very nice American Walnut 5 string in a local shop for a lot less so I never got mine made! As most Wal owners seem to look after their basses, I think this makes the current second hand prices very reasonable.[/quote]

Interesting stuff, thanks mate!

I'm really looking forward to playing one and getting a feel for them. They're quite different from anything i've owned/player/considered before, but i view that as a good thing :)

Hi Jamie have you thought about putting an ACG pre into one of your basses, it would give you that filter based control that the Wal and Alembic basses have.
The pre in my ACG gives me an astounding range of tones but it gets a very nasty, hard edged tone, with a hugh low mid foundation, then all I do is dail in some top end zing with the treble stack and listen to my speakers just starting to break sweat.
With your set up, you could get a really dirty, funky tone with the Ampeg SVP being driven by an ACG pre and I do mean filthy. :) :huh:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='245203' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:11 AM']Hi Jamie have you thought about putting an ACG pre into one of your basses, it would give you that filter based control that the Wal and Alembic basses have.
The pre in my ACG gives me an astounding range of tones but it gets a very nasty, hard edged tone, with a hugh low mid foundation, then all I do is dail in some top end zing with the treble stack and listen to my speakers just starting to break sweat.
With your set up, you could get a really dirty, funky tone with the Ampeg SVP being driven by an ACG pre and I do mean filthy. :) :huh:[/quote]

With the right bass i could mate, but what i have just aren't the sort of basses i'm prepared to start fiddling with. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Apparently Wal's might be making a comeback!
[url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walbassesnaturally/message/11111"]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walba...y/message/11111[/url]

[quote name='bassjamm' post='245212' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:22 AM']With the right bass i could mate, but what i have just aren't the sort of basses i'm prepared to start fiddling with. Thanks for the suggestion though.[/quote]

[quote name='bassjamm' post='244333' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:19 AM']I guess i just need to play one to get a feel for them and to let my ears do the judging, not my eyes :)[/quote]
If you can find one other than at a Bass Bash!!!. There will definitely be two at the SE Bash, Niks Pro2 and my converted Pro1 that now has Custom electrics.

There could also be the one I walked away from on Saturday - WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!! - I have been in sack cloth with a big KICK ME sign on my back ever since. It is still owned by a 'Chatter from Pompey who did the sensible thing and snapped it up. That was probably a transitional Pro/Custom by Niks reckoning and I would tend to agree.

I do have at home an A4 Wal sales flyer that I shall try to scan and post up sometime this week - doesn't tell you what they sound like though.

My Pro1 originally had a single pup, vol, tone & a coil tap switch & was passive. In 96 Pete installed the full Custom electrics and told me that Pro1's like mine were designed as a "starter" bass in the range with the option to add actives etc later. Mine only got upgraded because there was another in being done when I took mine in for an overhaul. It always sounded good passive but the actives really opened it up.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='244996' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:32 AM']With one of these you can get any sound that you want! (even a wal sound!) :)

check out [url="http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm"]http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm[/url][/quote]
Oh my god... GAS attack or what? *drool*
Anybody know what the going rate for a kidney is these days?

[quote name='Rich' post='245302' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:47 PM']Oh my god... GAS attack or what? *drool*
Anybody know what the going rate for a kidney is these days?[/quote]

Nearly as good as a V-bass, that ;0)

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245325' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:13 PM']Did Wal ever make a 6 string, I'm sure I saw one once in a shop called the Embassy in Mansfield.[/quote]
Yes, IIRC the first one was made in the late 80's or very early 90's and is owned by a lovely chap called Tony Lewis who plays in a band called The Progs...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='245351' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:35 PM']Yes, IIRC the first one was made in the late 80's or very early 90's and is owned by a lovely chap called Tony Lewis who plays in a band called The Progs...[/quote]

I'd love to get hold of one.

I've owned both a 4 and a 5 string, I sold the 4 to buy the 5, and sold the 5 to help my brother buy his 1st house.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245325' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:13 PM']....Did Wal ever make a 6 string, I'm sure I saw one once in a shop called the Embassy in Mansfield....[/quote]
Pete Stevens didn't make many but they were definitely in the catalogue. Even Steve Chesney could only rustle up about 4 pictures of 6 string Wals when his Wal site was up and running.