Why become a member? ×

Wal's...

bassjamm

[quote name='bassjamm' post='244292' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:26 AM']I was wondering if this barky/grunty tone was typical of Wal basses?[/quote]
Your Smith BSR5 had a barky grunt, my friend. I think Wals and Smiths are very similar in general character although there are subtle differences.

Speaking of which on the comeback:

[url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walbassesnaturally/message/11125"]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walba...y/message/11125[/url]

*ouch*

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='245437' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:30 PM']Speaking of which on the comeback:

[url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walbassesnaturally/message/11125"]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/walba...y/message/11125[/url]

*ouch*[/quote]
Ouch indeed.

Hope Paul gets the support he deserves for this, he truely is a genius (I know this after he fixed my acoustic g**tar with minimal fuss where other people said it couldn't be done) and I really wouldn't want Wal to disappear forever.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='245437' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:30 PM']Your Smith BSR5 had a barky grunt, my friend. I think Wals and Smiths are very similar in general character although there are subtle differences.[/quote]

One looks medieval?? :)

Having pretty much played my Wal Custom Fretless 4 exclusively for 22 years, I can honestly say it has delivered in every setting I have taken it into : jazz, funk (not slap), rock, latin etc. What I like about it is that it never sounds like anything but me. I don't think of 'my sound' as the Wal but believe that the Wal facilitates the expression of my musical ideas, 'my' sound. Other basses I have played have sounded like the bass. The Wal sounds like me. The addition of an Eden Metro about 6 years ago (previously SWR, GK, Trace Eliot and Frunt (remember them?)), I feel like I am home and dry. Musicians I play with have, for many years, been complimentary about my sound so I feel confident that my selection is affirmed. The DI sound is great for studio work too.

That's why I stick with it. Why would I need another bass? Yes, I would love a 5-string fretless but am not desperate and, financially, it has always felt unnecessarily self-indulgent.

I have played 3 or 4 other Wals, including 5s. They all sounded like me too! Wals work for me. Always have.

Oh, and 6stringbassist, that was a beautiful thing you did for your brother. Some things matter more than basses.

Edited by bilbo230763

Kevin - The Mach III had a 6 string option from what i've come to know :)

Walman - Thanks for that info mate...the flyer would be cool, but don't worry yourself about it!

They certainly sound like they could be of great interest! Just need to sell some gear in order to free up the cash for whatever i see in the future!!!!!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245745' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:36 PM']Yeah, my 5 was a mach 3, that was my favourite shape.[/quote]

Form the one's i've seen the Mach III is my favourite shape too. Although i like the Mach II, the Mach 1 doesn't float my boat at all.

How did you find them mate in terms of feel and tone?

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245325' date='Jul 22 2008, 01:13 PM']Did Wal ever make a 6 string, I'm sure I saw one once in a shop called the Embassy in Mansfield.[/quote]

Pete introduced the Wal 6 in 1994

I met him at one of the trade fairs in London and he showed me a photo of a prototype 6string with the new mach 111 body (which was designed for the six, & later built as a five for Laurence Cottle)

I asked him to make me one, which he did. I took delivery in August 94 and used it as my main bass for about 5 years.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='245717' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:13 PM']Kevin - The Mach III had a 6 string option from what i've come to know :)

Walman - Thanks for that info mate...the flyer would be cool, but don't worry yourself about it!

They certainly sound like they could be of great interest! Just need to sell some gear in order to free up the cash for whatever i see in the future!!!!![/quote]

It's the one bass that I really, really miss.

The neck was fantastic and so solid, I think I read somewhere that the neck was made from the same wood used to make ships masts.

Soundwise it was very versatile, a bit similar to the tone circuits used in Alembics.

I really fancy getting a 6 now.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245857' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:09 AM']It's the one bass that I really, really miss.

The neck was fantastic and so solid, I think I read somewhere that the neck was made from the same wood used to make ships masts.

Soundwise it was very versatile, a bit similar to the tone circuits used in Alembics.

I really fancy getting a 6 now.[/quote]

Lol...you're as bad as me man!!! You got a sweet one coming your way mate, you don't need a Wal...

I'm really looking forward to playing one now... just need to sort out the cash :s

[quote name='4000' post='247632' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:43 AM']So, having been out of the Wal loop for years, was Paul originally working with Pete?

BTW, if anybody is ever selling a Pro, let me know.....[/quote]
Yes; Paul worked with Pete for some years so in my opinion, is the perfect person to take the Wal name forward..

Don't see too many Pro's for sale but if you do - grab it while you can!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='248555' date='Jul 26 2008, 06:02 PM']Don't see too many Pro's for sale but if you do - grab it while you can!![/quote]
Nik - I KNOW I DID A VERY STUPID THING!!! :huh: STOP RUBBING IT IN!!!

See you Thursday @ The Crown :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='249203' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:39 PM']Nik - I KNOW I DID A VERY STUPID THING!!! :huh: STOP RUBBING IT IN!!!

See you Thursday @ The Crown :)[/quote]
Al,

Have you considered talking to someone about this, so you can move on with your life and 'let go'??? :huh:

Seriously, I was thinking very specifically of the Pro models, not the Customs which you do see come up for sale a bit more often...

See you Thursday!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='249225' date='Jul 27 2008, 11:04 PM']Al,

Have you considered talking to someone about this, so you can move on with your life and 'let go'??? :huh:

Seriously, I was thinking very specifically of the Pro models, not the Customs which you do see come up for sale a bit more often...

See you Thursday!

Nik[/quote]
Yes sorry I really should shouldn't I :)

To quote Harry Hill "And relaaaaaaax"

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='245021' date='Jul 22 2008, 02:08 AM']Hi Jamie,

It's not an exact science, but it goes something like this:

The older Pro models started production around 1978 and continued until about 1981-2. The Custom models - with mahogany core bodies & multi-laminate facings, custom electronics and slimmed down headstock - appeared around 1982. But there are some hybrid models out there that have the old ash body and paddle shaped headstock but are fitted with the custom electronics..

The late 80's/early 90's Pro models vary; some have the custom electronics, some were completely passive and some had series/parallel switching that most other Wals were never fitted with.. So this particular batch is not easy to categorise.

The custom electronics as a product in it's own right is almost impossible to get hold of and instal, as Wals have been out of production for at least 2 years now, hence the reason that s/h prices shot up! But the good news is that a deal appears to be close to completion whereby production is going to start up again under the control of one of the old Wal production team..[/quote]

Very good summary. If anyone wants to dig more, try here... [url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm"]Wal History[/url]

I have a ProIIe which can sound very much like a MkI or, as some have described, a PBass on steroids. One warning... Pro electronics are aging and some parts may be impossible to replace. It wouldn't keep me from buying one but I wouldn't make it an everyday bass.

dunc

[quote name='bassplace' post='250126' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:40 PM']Very good summary. If anyone wants to dig more, try here... [url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm"]Wal History[/url]

I have a ProIIe which can sound very much like a MkI or, as some have described, a PBass on steroids. One warning... Pro electronics are aging and some parts may be impossible to replace. It wouldn't keep me from buying one but I wouldn't make it an everyday bass.

dunc[/quote]

Great to see you over here, Dunc! :)

[quote name='bassplace' post='250126' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:40 AM']Very good summary. If anyone wants to dig more, try here... [url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm"]Wal History[/url]

dunc[/quote]
Hi dunc,

Absolutely - Trevor's site is a fantastic introduction to the Wal history and is full of really interesting and unusual info that surprises even old gits like me who've owned Wals for years..

I hear what you're saying about the Pro models and I do worry about what I'll do if /when the circuitry starts to go wrong in mine? And partly for that reason and partly because I get worried it'll get damaged, I've stopped gigging with it this year.

Mind you; I was using it for the first time in ages yesterday and it sounded just amazing.. So I'm planning to give it a whirl at a couple of gigs next week just to remind myself how lucky I am :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='250371' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:29 PM']I second that. Nik's Wal has a really nasty tone, but "nasty" in a good way!!!!!![/quote]
Cheers !! :)

And yes CK, it does involve tweaking a few knobs.. Well, 5 to be precise...