Why become a member? ×

Wal's...

bassjamm

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='257667' date='Aug 7 2008, 05:59 PM']I think from looking at the headstock shape it was a Wal Custom..

Is it just me, or is the singer in the clip really, really irritating??[/quote]

I agree. A black MkI. I've never seen a Pro without a paddle headstock.

Every body Wang Chung tonight!

Yeah they did a few (but not many)without the paddle headstock,i had a pro2e like that.You also see some customs with pro bass written on headstock too.
If memory serves ,the Pro2e's were actually more expensive than the Custom model when the Customs were first introduced.
Pete

[quote name='bassplace' post='257731' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:19 AM']I agree. A black MkI. I've never seen a Pro without a paddle headstock.

Every body Wang Chung tonight![/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread briefly as I have recently found a load of multitracks from years back and having had them baked :) managed to get them converted to digital so I can re mix them - in the case of a couple of tapes for the first time properly as we had a major change of style shortly after ther were recorded when the keyboard player left.

Anyway, getting to the point, I seem to recall someone asking what the passive Wal Pro's sounded like. The tapes I am working on at the moment were recorded in 1986 so I had the Wal Pro1 but am 99.99% certain had done nothing to it as yet - certainly the actives did not get put in until 1996.

Attached is a short bass & drums only clip of my Pro 1 in its original single pup / passive glory. If I remember rightly it was recorded DI'd with no amp, and all I have done now is add a touch of compression and a very light mid cut. Strings would probably have been Ropewounds or Elites (if they were produced that long ago) and played with a plectrum (as I only started using fingers years later)

[attachment=12500:ATF___Sp...Export_2.mp3]

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='267469' date='Aug 21 2008, 11:43 PM']Resurrecting this thread briefly as I have recently found a load of multitracks from years back and having had them baked :) managed to get them converted to digital so I can re mix them - in the case of a couple of tapes for the first time properly as we had a major change of style shortly after ther were recorded when the keyboard player left.

Anyway, getting to the point, I seem to recall someone asking what the passive Wal Pro's sounded like. The tapes I am working on at the moment were recorded in 1986 so I had the Wal Pro1 but am 99.99% certain had done nothing to it as yet - certainly the actives did not get put in until 1996.

Attached is a short bass & drums only clip of my Pro 1 in its original single pup / passive glory. If I remember rightly it was recorded DI'd with no amp, and all I have done now is add a touch of compression and a very light mid cut. Strings would probably have been Ropewounds or Elites (if they were produced that long ago) and played with a plectrum (as I only started using fingers years later)

[attachment=12500:ATF___Sp...Export_2.mp3][/quote]
Sounds great; nice tight playing too! That baking technique works really well, obviously....

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='267480' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:00 AM']Sounds great; nice tight playing too! That baking technique works really well, obviously....[/quote]
Cheers. That was when I could play :huh:

Scared the bajeezus out of me!!!

Recipe
1) Take your master tape on metal spools
2) Place in oven & cook on very low heat for approx 3 hours
3) Leave to cool completely
4) Put on tape machine & press play
5) garnish with EQ compression & serve with a light white wine :)

But it worked & 22 year old tapes that were a swine to transfer first time around seem to have come out all shiny & new

[quote name='WalMan' post='267490' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:17 AM']Cheers. That was when I could play :huh:

Scared the bajeezus out of me!!!

Recipe
1) Take your master tape on metal spools
2) Place in oven & cook on very low heat for approx 3 hours
3) Leave to cool completely
4) Put on tape machine & press play
5) garnish with EQ compression & serve with a light white wine :)

But it worked & 22 year old tapes that were a swine to transfer first time around seem to have come out all shiny & new[/quote]
Does it work for very old bass players as well?? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='244996' date='Jul 22 2008, 02:32 AM']With one of these you can get any sound that you want! (even a wal sound!) :)

[attachment=11065:Wall_midi.jpg]

check out [url="http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm"]http://www.4barmusic.co.uk/pages/midistandard.htm[/url][/quote]

Indeed Sir, indeed! May I ask what kind of Synth you're using with yours? I use an E-MU Proteus 2000. And - do you happen to know what kind of cable I need for attaching my foot control pedals to the MB4? I didn't get one when buying my WAL MIDI used.
tc
Oliver

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='273835' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:07 PM']Indeed Sir, indeed! May I ask what kind of Synth you're using with yours? I use an E-MU Proteus 2000. And - do you happen to know what kind of cable I need for attaching my foot control pedals to the MB4? I didn't get one when buying my WAL MIDI used.
tc
Oliver[/quote]

Ha, just spotted this post
I don't use it anymore, the only "synth" I have is a Yamaha MU10, which will run on batteries!

I'll try and remember to look at the cable for you in a day or so.

cheers