Why become a member? ×

How do you enter the stage..so to speak...at a gig?

Jigster

With the ZZ trib we used to get the 'Gimmee all your Loving' drum intro going for a few bars then the guitar player et moi came on from the wings - usually to cheers !! My fave ever was when we did an acoustic duo at a big club gig as a support act. I was asked very politely not to swear - and promised faithfully and sincerely not to. So - lights down and we come on from opposite wings already playing , walk towards the mics - couldn't see mine and as I went to sing the first word I banged my nose hard on it and yelled 'f***' over the huge PA. Epic non-profanity fail !

I always have visions of starting with a bang but our bloody guitarist, who has OCD insists on tuning up, even though this was done earlier, then playing through most of the parts of the song that we intend to do, before taking a sip of his drink and then looks at the rest of us and says ok, are yous ready? AAAAARGH!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1403296327' post='2481685']
I always have visions of starting with a bang but our bloody guitarist, who has OCD insists on tuning up, even though this was done earlier, then playing through most of the parts of the song that we intend to do, before taking a sip of his drink and then looks at the rest of us and says ok, are yous ready? AAAAARGH!
[/quote]
Toilet paper / arse makes this irrelevant.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1403111931' post='2479953']
We clamber over the monitors, tune up silently get just about ready to go then the vocalist announces he needs a pee and we stand there like lemons for five minutes!
[/quote]

:lol: I've played with that guy too! :P

Wander on to the stage, stand around awkwardly, peer out into the audience trying to figure out if the singer has even arrived at the venue yet. Begin first tune as they come in the door, so they can clamber on stage just in time for the chorus. Possibly not our finest moment!
An old band of mine used to do some quite silly things. I recall a halloween gig where we were dressed as gnomes, witches etc, and we started with our ridiculous chromatic prog intro while our singer/guitarist ran around the hall in a fur coat and a huge home-made badger head before pulling off the head to come and join us.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1403345519' post='2481972']
Wander on to the stage, stand around awkwardly, peer out into the audience trying to figure out if the singer has even arrived at the venue yet. Begin first tune as they come in the door, so they can clamber on stage just in time for the chorus. Possibly not our finest moment!
An old band of mine used to do some quite silly things. I recall a halloween gig where we were dressed as gnomes, witches etc, and we started with our ridiculous chromatic prog intro while our singer/guitarist ran around the hall in a fur coat and a huge home-made badger head before pulling off the head to come and join us.
[/quote]

Home-made badger head!!! You win the thread :D :D

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1403296327' post='2481685']
[/quote]

swap his 13 amp fuse for a 3 amp fuse :P

One of the most effective entrances I saw was on Marillion's misplaced childhood tour. Band start up in semi darkness except for Fish singing behind a white paper screen so he's in silhouette. Except it's not him but a roadie miming whilst Fish calmly walks down the centre isle of the theatre singing through a cordless mic. Everyone is looking at the paper screen and only start to cotton on what is happening as he walks past them. Simple but incredibly effective. It had probably been done before (by Genesis I'd imagine ;) ) but worked brilliantly on the night. As it was pre internet/social media few if any of the audience that hadn't seen a previous show knew what was going on.