Why become a member? ×

'Different' effects?

redbandit599

Hi all

I love playing about with my effects and mixing and matching stuff to create new sounds (even if I can't find a place to actually use them in a song :rolleyes: .)

But, I've got a spare 'slot' on my board and I was wondering "What's really 'different' out there?"

What I mean is that there is obviously lots of variation in tone between, say, different overdrives, but they are all overdrives. So, excluding the following usual suspects (in their traditional guises anyway), what else have you guys found that is really 'different'? Stuff that sounds a bit unique (good or bad!)

Exclusion list (please add if I've missed anything obviously 'normal!)

Fuzz
Overdrive
Distortion
Chorus
Flanger
Phaser
Envelope Filter
Wah
Pitch Shifting
Compression
Octave
EQ
Tremolo
Delay

Could be fun!

J

Edited by redbandit599

Some generic pedal types that spring to mind are :

Bitcrushers
Harmonisers

Specific pedals:

Zvex Machine (this is a fuzz/distortion but a very unique one)
Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine (this is a combination of lots of things which makes it sound pretty unique).

Your "normal" list is also missing EQ, tremolo, and delay, and "whammy" should probably be called "pitch shifting" to make it more generic.

Moog Bass Murf. The only pedals similar are the Moog Murf & Midi Murf.

Mines reluctantly for sale, but I've not got it advertised on here yet & if you were to buy it before I get the ad up, I'd donate to BC to cover the ad (& there's still more ad's to come).

Edited by xgsjx

There are different types of filter which all have as different sounds as the difference between a phaser and flanger. All could be static or controlled by an envelope, adsr, lfo or expression. Things like a lowpass, highpass, bandpass, allpass, comb (+ and -), formant and im sure there are more.

The formant actually reminds me of another type of effect, vocoder (takes one signal, and EQ's it the same as another signal) which makes your instrument sound like like its talking. Another effect like this is a talkbox, or a auto tune (more like a pitch sift/octaver).

I also have an EHX flanger hoax, which is a flange like sound made with two phasers.

Sample rate reducers work really well on bass. It's like having a ring modulator that you can actually use! Great for mild ruining of your sound at one end of the range to total harmonic destruction of everything you play at the other end. Has a great flavour to it as well. It's also good for adding higher order harmonics to an otherwise bassy sound to make filters more interesting.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1403038770' post='2479214']
Thats a formant filter right?
[/quote]
Yes it is -It is great for creating wacky vocal-style talk-box filtered effects. +1 also for the Prunes & Custard & EHX Ravish Sitar. Also, the Chunk Octavius Squeezer can get pretty far out there with some robotic synth type effects.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1403077567' post='2479415']
Yes it is -It is great for creating wacky vocal-style talk-box filtered effects. +1 also for the Prunes & Custard & EHX Ravish Sitar. Also, the Chunk Octavius Squeezer can get pretty far out there with some robotic synth type effects.
[/quote]

Incidentally, a sample rate reducer when fed with a fuzzed envelope filter does some really amazing chunky vowel sounds. The benefit over using a formant filter pair is you still get lots of bass frequencies. I discovered it quite by accident by putting my Squeezer into my Bugcrusher one day.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1403127508' post='2480145']
Incidentally, a sample rate reducer when fed with a fuzzed envelope filter does some really amazing chunky vowel sounds. The benefit over using a formant filter pair is you still get lots of bass frequencies. I discovered it quite by accident by putting my Squeezer into my Bugcrusher one day.
[/quote]

Thats an analogue one you talking about, not a true sample rate reducer?

GAK are still doing the Digtech Bass Synth Wah for less than £35, maybe not 'out there' enough but a great fun pedal with usable sounds for that money, I can't see why everyone wouldn't own one :) .