Why become a member? ×

Learning to play Left Handed (as well as already being able to play Right handed)

police squad

I saw a Beatles tribute a couple of weeks ago and the bass player was right handed. It got me thinking.

I fancy learning to play left handed, just for a challenge.
Anyone else done this

I think I have heard that the Beatles, let it be, west end stage show only uses left handed Maccas now

you thoughts, fellow BCs

There was at least one BC member who had set himself exactly this challenge, but I can't remember his name at the moment. I hope he sees this thread and replies :)
Me, I'm having enough trouble playing acceptably in the way that's natural to me, and I can definitely forget about ever trying to play "the wrong way round". I'm in awe of you guys...

I'm actually left handed..... but play right handed
There have been a couple of threads on this subject already
and I've been surprised at just how many left handers play right handed guitars & basses :o

I have previously tried to play left-handed fashion
.... but failed miserably!

I used to see a busker around the streets of Cardiff
who had two guitars, one left, and one right handed
He used to swap between them mid-song
and was a pretty incredible player - with either guitar

Good luck with your experiment venture
and let us know how you get on

Marc

I don't seem to be able to requote things, so.

Chrismuzz, yes changing between left and right would be a great trick. Very visual.

The Greek, you assume I need to practice. I don't. The only time I practice is if I wish to learn a new technique or song. I'm not being big headed, just honest. I'm not looking to set the world on fire or get famous, I just do what I do.

MarcS, I think a lot of people do notice that the visuals of a right handed Macca are different. The way Paul & George are when singing together looks very awkward if right handed.

I think I need to get myself a left handed hofner

Edited by police squad

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1401713453' post='2466041']
I saw a Beatles tribute a couple of weeks ago and the bass player was right handed. It got me thinking.

I fancy learning to play left handed, just for a challenge.
Anyone else done this

I think I have heard that the Beatles, let it be, west end stage show only uses left handed Maccas now

you thoughts, fellow BCs
[/quote]
[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1401718286' post='2466110']
I meant to add;
I wonder how many in the audience of that Beatles tribute would have noticed
that the bass player was playing the wrong way around to Paul McCartney?
[/quote]

I saw the 'Let it Be' show in Cardiff. The bass player was playing left-handed, but on a few songs (I remember Blackbird in partcular) he picked up a six-string acoustic which he played right-handed. I'm presuming therefore that he's naturally right-handed and learnt the Macca basslines left-handed.

If i'm presuming correctly - much respect!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1401717698' post='2466101']
IMHO the time you spend learning to play left handed would be better spent practicing right handed...
[/quote]

+1. Learning to play right handed to the best of your ability would be a better and more constructive challange IMO.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1401724473' post='2466188']
I find it interesting just picking up a right handed bass left handed, it's an easy way to experience what it was like to be a complete novice picking up a bass. Makes it easier to relate if you're trying to teach a non-musical friend how to play a bassline.
[/quote]

+1 for this, to show a novice just how much progress they've made. It helps when they reach a 'plateau', and may become discouraged.
I've several acquaintances with 'lefty' instruments, and it's good to be able to play at least summit on 'em. I don't want to convert any of my present park, but when I get the opportunity to acquire a 'lefty', guitar or bass, within my meagre budget, I'll put myself to playing t'other way round. I've mentioned this before, but got 'slated' by a 'lefty' member or two here, and so don't tend to participate any more on the subject. My opinions on the subject shall therefore remain my own. Once bitten... :(

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1401724925' post='2466197']
Sounds like a massive waste of time to me. If you don't want to get better at bass then fine, why don't you learn a whole new instrument instead?
[/quote]

We each have our own set of motivations, which can change over time. A challenge is a challenge, be it a completely different instrument, or simply 5 strings rather than 4. Some folks even like to bungee jump (I'm told...). Different strokes, maybe..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401725201' post='2466202']
We each have our own set of motivations, which can change over time. A challenge is a challenge, be it a completely different instrument, or simply 5 strings rather than 4. Some folks even like to bungee jump (I'm told...). Different strokes, maybe..?
[/quote]

I agree with what you say. I just dont [i]understand [/i]the logic, or why the OP needs other opinions on this. It would take a long time just to get to the standard that the OP is now at. For what.... ? A challange....? If that what floats the OP's boat....fine.

Bungee jumping would not be my cup of tea, but I understand why someone would want to do it...for the thrill and rush of adrenaline. ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1401727368' post='2466241']I agree with what you say. I just dont [i]understand [/i]the logic, or why the OP needs other opinions on this...[/quote]

To be fair, the OP wasn't really expressing a [i]need [/i]for others opinions (as in 'asking for permission'...), simply soliciting the experience of others who have had the same curiosity. I can quite understand that, as I'm 'righty' (I nearly wrote 'normal'..! :lol: ), and started out on drums playing 'righty'. I reached a 'plateau', and decided to reverse the kit. I've been playing 'lefty' since, and made a modest career of it. I sometimes come across a 'righty' kit and can play some rudimentary stuff that way round, but made far faster progress once I'd made the switch. Yes, I'm still planning to do the same on bass or guitar, simply for the fun and challenge. I doubt, anyway, that I'd be mistaken for Flea, however I played; it's only a personal curiosity. I'm equally convinced that not all players feel inclined to swap, but remain of the opinion that, if one way round feels more comfortable, it's nevertheless possible for most to play either way if the will is there. I think I'd better be putting on my tin hat again, though; I feel the angst welling up out there. :ph34r:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401728399' post='2466261']
To be fair, the OP wasn't really expressing a [i]need [/i]for others opinions (as in 'asking for permission'...), simply soliciting the experience of others who have had the same curiosity. I can quite understand that, as I'm 'righty' (I nearly wrote 'normal'..! :lol: ), and started out on drums playing 'righty'. I reached a 'plateau', and decided to reverse the kit. I've been playing 'lefty' since, and made a modest career of it. I sometimes come across a 'righty' kit and can play some rudimentary stuff that way round, but made far faster progress once I'd made the switch. Yes, I'm still planning to do the same on bass or guitar, simply for the fun and challenge. I doubt, anyway, that I'd be mistaken for Flea, however I played; it's only a personal curiosity. I'm equally convinced that not all players feel inclined to swap, but remain of the opinion that, if one way round feels more comfortable, it's nevertheless possible for most to play either way if the will is there. I think I'd better be putting on my tin hat again, though; I feel the angst welling up out there. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Nah ! No angst here anyway. :)

People's time is theirs to spend as they wish. Granted, if playing a certain way is more comfortable, by all means it is worth doing.

Personally, just to keep progressing as a player is enough of a challange to keep me going for the rest of my days. :D

To each their own.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1401730094' post='2466281']...To each their own.[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401719569' post='2466122']
Let me know when you plan to learn driving on the right ... I enjoy a bit of street theatre.

;)
[/quote]

Wow, just realised I can do that! In fact I can even drive a RHD car on the left and a LHD car on the right!! I am ambidrivestrous!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Edited by matski